Audio-GD FUN vs Nuforce HDP?
Apr 23, 2010 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tennisplyr3

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone heard a comparison of the Audio-GD FUN versus the Nuforce HDP? I'm curious as to which one sounds better and is the better value.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 11
I've heard the FUN's predecessor Compass and owned the HDP, and in terms of how they sound out of headphone out... even the Compass sounded better than HDP to me... hence I'd logically think that FUN would be even better. HDP as an amp didn't impress me at all overall. On the flipside however, I found the HDP's DAC section many times better than Compass.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the impressions, K_19. I think I read that both the Compass and FUN use the same AD1852 or WM8740 chips, so I'm curious as to how the sound is improved.

So you say that FUN's amp is [logically] better than the HDP, but the HDP's DAC is better than the Compass (no idea how it compares to the FUN). How do the two compare when fed through the USB out (with a computer as the source) and using the integrated amps? Is that what you meant by headphone out?

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 11
By headphone out I was comparing their amp section headphone out when they're both being used as a standalone DAC/Amp combo. I felt that the Compass bested HDP in this regard. However, using them solely as DACs feeding another amp (I used WA6 for my particular test; using USB), I greatly preferred the HDP's better clarity, openness and detailing. All in my opinion of course.

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 11
This is interesting as I was wondering the same thing too. Are there anymore head-fiers out there that have tried both?

May 6, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
By headphone out I was comparing their amp section headphone out when they're both being used as a standalone DAC/Amp combo. I felt that the Compass bested HDP in this regard. However, using them solely as DACs feeding another amp (I used WA6 for my particular test; using USB), I greatly preferred the HDP's better clarity, openness and detailing. All in my opinion of course.

bullseye,    i wasnt planning on using  the hdp amp anyhow,  i was gonna get a huge dac but screw it im all for hdp and america.

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 11
Don't see the point of getting a combo and then not using the amp.  Just get a dedicated dac if that's what you need.  V-Dac or MagicDac or Gamma2 will all have better sound than HDP.  

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:

Any comments you'd care to make about using either as a preamp? I take it you were using the Compass' DAC-out to feed your headphone amp.
I plan to use foobar2k to feed a DAC (USB) which I would then use as a preamp for a separates system integrated amp as well as for feeding a Millet miniMAX headphone hybrid amp.

Trying to match all the components and keep within my budget is proving difficult.

Anyways, subscribed. 
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back