Audio-gd discrete op-amps reviewed: OPA-Earth, OPA-Moon, OPA-Sun v.2
Jun 9, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #212 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by rufuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I can tell you that the ZLH is the most natural sounding low ESR cap I've tried, in the power supply of a 2 channel headphone amp. I have Sanyo WG in another amp, and I had them in another C&C BOX too, but I don't recall them sounding quite as natural as the Rubycon ZLH is sounding (though my newly discovered OPA2376 opamps play a part here, too).

Maybe the ZL were to low ESR for your DAC's regulators.

It probably depends what's the definition of neutrality. I don't say the WG's are transparent, neither I use them in any analog circuits. Digital supply, and that's it. For the analog sections I just take different kinds of those "for audio" electrolytic capacitors which are not expected to have extremely low ESR rather than low THD at 10kHz.

For the I/V stage I'd use a pair of OPA827, the JFET inputs will suck out less current from the DAC.

Jun 9, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #213 of 396
Regarding the Zero - I didn't pay attention what kind of DAC output it utilizes but as I said, the OPA827 might be nice for the I/V stage in general.

I read this document roughly a week ago or something and didn't find it bringing any revolution. There is too much concern about the CMRR which is not a frequent issue in today's audio, so looking at the sine graphs might lead to wrong choices. The THD elaboration is a good point, then there are some very valuable chips missing like the OPA228 or the AD8021.

I tried the LME49722 and I think the LME49720 is slightly better. I expected the opposite as there is probably less compensation in the LME49722. However, as I said before, decompensated op-amps like the OPA228 or the AD8021 are in their own league.

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #214 of 396
yo majkel, do you think that one can use 3 LME49860 (1 DAC + 2 HP/pre amp) in the ZERO safely? I'm mean, Peete said that the LT1364 can go really hot if used in the DAC, is it the same for the LME49860?

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here we go again with the Dead Fish smell...

I hope it's not me who's smelling fish, since everyone seems to ignore me! Or it's just because my questions are non sense or boring?

lao

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #215 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by laobrasuca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yo majkel, do you think that one can use 3 LME49860 (1 DAC + 2 HP/pre amp) in the ZERO safely? I'm mean, Peete said that the LT1364 can go really hot if used in the DAC, is it the same for the LME49860?

I hope it's not me who's smelling fish, since everyone seems to ignore me! Or it's just because my questions are non sense or boring?

lao

It's not you. We have a certified Nut case named Andrea that is constantly IN/Out here. He's like a Moth to a flame with this thread. I reported him last night. Then I see this AM he's already back and playing his games. Once you get used to patterns, he's easy to spot.

He won't be able to avoid this thread. He's an Opamp FREAKster.

Jun 9, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #216 of 396
@laobrasuca, you can try the LME49860, there is a voltage out DAC chip in the Zero. The LT1364 probably goes unstable in the circuit that's why it gets hot. Just see the document already two guys linked here - how did such high distortion appear in this op-amp? It sounds like unstable and it is unstable, that's why it gets hot. There are some fans of the LT1364 in this forum but it is a wrong chip for audio, period. You can try the LT1358, it is very close sonically and not getting hot. Last time I thought I even prefered it slightly to the LME49860.

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #217 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@laobrasuca, you can try the LME49860, there is a voltage out DAC chip in the Zero. The LT1364 probably goes unstable in the circuit that's why it gets hot. Just see the document already two guys linked here - how did such high distortion appear in this op-amp? It sounds like unstable and it is unstable, that's why it gets hot. There are some fans of the LT1364 in this forum but it is a wrong chip for audio, period. You can try the LT1358, it is very close sonically and not getting hot. Last time I thought I even prefered it slightly to the LME49860.

thx majkel, i'll put all three LME49860 together so since they seem to be very good at DAC as well as in the amp
smily_headphones1.gif
thx for the advices.

EDIT: BTW, I will also try the LT1358 in the amp section to see if it pleases more my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

@les_garten: y, i've already read about him, i'm aware of it (SAP, les_garden, or whatever), thx.

lao

Jun 10, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #219 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The 1364 does run a bit hot in the Zero.

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #220 of 396
Sorry to be slightly off topic, but I just found this thread and figured better to post here than start a new thread...
Anyway, I recently swapped LM4562 for a LME49860 and to my ears they sound very different! yet many people swear they are the same... I noticed a lot of people discussing them here, was there ever any consensus that they are in fact different?

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #222 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to be slightly off topic, but I just found this thread and figured better to post here than start a new thread...
Anyway, I recently swapped LM4562 for a LME49860 and to my ears they sound very different! yet many people swear they are the same... I noticed a lot of people discussing them here, was there ever any consensus that they are in fact different?

Different how?

BTW, I've been using the LME49860 inside the Super Pro 707, and it was very nice. However, I find the LT1469 to sound better (just as precise, but smoother in the mid-treble and more meaty in the bass) so that's the opamp of choice for the older Super Pro.

While for the newer, it's the TLE2142 (preferred to LM4562, LT1364 etc.).
smily_headphones1.gif

Unless the OPA2211 dethrones it as soon as the proper adapter arrives.

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #223 of 396
LM4562- loads of detail, aggressive, fast, intense. Very involving and the detail is amazing, but a little harsh, especially in the treble.
LME49860 - like a 'polite' version of the LM4562 - sweet and neutral with nice treble but lacks the detail and intensity of the LM4562

I like em both, but I keep coming back to the LM4562, I guess I'm a sucker for detail - this may change when I get my Grado's though (I'm willing to guess they don't make the best match)

I will hopefully be getting LT1028 soon, which the original reviewer rated higher than the LM4562, so that'll be interesting...

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #224 of 396
I like the TLE2142 better than the LM4562. It sounds more natural, more solid, and has similar detail.

Try the LT1358 as well. The LT1028 is very nice, quite transparent though a little bit drier/harder than the former.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back