Audio-gd discrete op-amps reviewed: OPA-Earth, OPA-Moon, OPA-Sun v.2
Mar 19, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #121 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So let's assume one batch is named LME49720, another is LME49860 and the third one say LM4562. I recommend the LME49860 batch. You can also say there is no difference between Siemens and Tesla because it's always E88CC just from another factory.

After some more experiments with upgrading my headphone amp and its PSU I find again the AD797BRZ to be the best, in terms of overall transparency.

I sold the Earth so I cannot say how it helps but my Sun v2 improved when I removed the capacitor upgrade. The ones I use in my DAC are better and those from Evox just were making the sound worse. So, I strongly recommend to anybody removing the cap upgrade or placing there some decent electrolytics, i.e. Black Gate STD.

Hi there,

able to test ad743? my last impression of this opamp is it does better then ad797A version. not that sure how it fares when compared to ad797B...

Mar 19, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #122 of 396
I just got my replacement ef1. And put the earth in it. Forgot how muddy and compressed the ef1 sounds before burn in.

On the bright side (no pun intended), i got the Sun today. So i poped that into my amp and it picked it right up. Brighter more dynamic presentation and nice aggresive midrange with great percussion. I am listening with d7000, and of course this is all pre-burn in, i expect there will be some changes especially after 50 hours.

I really like the sun right now and it will be great to burn in the amp with this.

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #123 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my replacement ef1. And put the earth in it. Forgot how muddy and compressed the ef1 sounds before burn in.

On the bright side (no pun intended), i got the Sun today. So i poped that into my amp and it picked it right up. Brighter more dynamic presentation and nice aggresive midrange with great percussion. I am listening with d7000, and of course this is all pre-burn in, i expect there will be some changes especially after 50 hours.

I really like the sun right now and it will be great to burn in the amp with this.

It will be interesting to se if you like the SUN in the Long run. Some guys put it in, liked it and then got tired of it and went back to the Earth. kinda like too much Cotton Candy. Let us know.

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #124 of 396
Well with over 75 hours on it the SUN and my amp have opened up. Its all a bit brighter and forceful. I love the energy and dynamics of the SUN. It seems like its almost a bit eager in its presentation. While the earth sounds pretty nuetral and a bit smoother the sun is puncy dynamic and fun. The sun lacks a bit of mid bass warmth that the earth has, I am hoping to find a bit of warmth in the sun, maybe more burn in is required.

I just switched the tube to a mullard from the sylvania i typically use, and that certainly helps. i kinda want to try a long plate mullard because they are known to have a larger soundstage. I find the short plate mullard i have, to be a bit smaller in the soundstage than i like. But man it sure sounds good right now, nice bass and warmth, rockin out to some Boston right now and its pretty freakin nice.

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #125 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will be interesting to se if you like the SUN in the Long run. Some guys put it in, liked it and then got tired of it and went back to the Earth. kinda like too much Cotton Candy. Let us know.

Kingwa suggested not to get the sun in the compass because he thought it might have bad synergy, something about the compass itself sounds neutral. Have you heard people other than compass owners say they didn't like the sun as much as the moon and earth? Personally I think all three hdam's would be equally enjoyable in applications other than headphone listening, headphone listening just relies too much on minor differences.

I've been comparing the LME49860's and the hdam's in the compass and although the LME49860's are balanced and detailed, it isn't as 3-d or real as the hdam's. Maybe audio-gd simply knows how best to synergize its own products lol. But the LME49860 is certainly better than LM4562, and I think it would be a preferable opamp in certain situations, just not for the compass.

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #126 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kingwa suggested not to get the sun in the compass because he thought it might have bad synergy, something about the compass itself sounds neutral. Have you heard people other than compass owners say they didn't like the sun as much as the moon and earth? Personally I think all three hdam's would be equally enjoyable in applications other than headphone listening, headphone listening just relies too much on minor differences.

I've been comparing the LME49860's and the hdam's in the compass and although the LME49860's are balanced and detailed, it isn't as 3-d or real as the hdam's. Maybe audio-gd simply knows how best to synergize its own products lol. But the LME49860 is certainly better than LM4562, and I think it would be a preferable opamp in certain situations, just not for the compass.

There were a few folks in the Zero thread who jumped on the SUN bandwagon. Listened for a few weeks and felt it was too "Fun" and Punchy" for them. ScottieB would be a good one to ask. Since I wanted to hear a good difference, I got the Earth and SUN for my Compass. The Compass seems like a good platform for OPA rolling! It's a Pian to pull the card from my Box to do the Halo. You tell me which ones to go with and that's it. I won't really use it as a Headamp after I get the New Gear. Basically a backup.

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #127 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kingwa suggested not to get the sun in the compass because he thought it might have bad synergy, something about the compass itself sounds neutral. .

I had not heard this before, about kingwa mentioning this.

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #128 of 396
My room mate likes the SUN in his compass so far. He has only had it a few days though. And I noticed when I listened to the sun in his compass at first it sounded a bit bright and sterile (but very enjoyable) compared with the ef1 which i can tune with the tube. But this was the first night. I get to babysit his amp while he in on vacation this week, so I will definetly be doing some reviewing of the hdams and comparing compass to ef1.

I just plugged my ety er6s into my ef1 and listening to some Madelein Peryoux, and the piano is just steller! Everything sounds just right, nice and clean detail with excellent soundstaging especially for the iem. Very nice indeed! Percussion is very punchy and dynamic.

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #129 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My room mate likes the SUN in his compass so far. He has only had it a few days though. And I noticed when I listened to the sun in his compass at first it sounded a bit bright and sterile (but very enjoyable) compared with the ef1 which i can tune with the tube. But this was the first night. I get to babysit his amp while he in on vacation this week, so I will definetly be doing some reviewing of the hdams and comparing compass to ef1.

I just plugged my ety er6s into my ef1 and listening to some Madelein Peryoux, and the piano is just steller! Everything sounds just right, nice and clean detail with excellent soundstaging especially for the iem. Very nice indeed! Percussion is very punchy and dynamic.

Gettin' to play with your roomate's NEW gear, PRICELESS!

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #130 of 396
Quote:

Gettin' to play with your roomate's NEW gear, PRICELESS!

HEHEHE, hopefully he won't be soldering on it when he gets back. Sorry D, couldn't resist.

I am using the Sun in the Compass, neutral setting and have about 100 hours on it. At this stage I like it, at first it was pretty bright, seems that there has been improvement and for now it works, can already see that it will work better for types of music and not so well for others.

Can't wait to experiment with all the combo's possible with 3 different hdams and jumper settings on the Compass.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #131 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by B00MERS00NER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HEHEHE, hopefully he won't be soldering on it when he gets back. Sorry D, couldn't resist.

That's a Good one!

I am using the Sun in the Compass, neutral setting and have about 100 hours on it. At this stage I like it, at first it was pretty bright, seems that there has been improvement and for now it works, can already see that it will work better for types of music and not so well for others.

Let us know if you feel the Change, and I mean Change we can believe in!

Can't wait to experiment with all the combo's possible with 3 different hdams and jumper settings on the Compass.

Good Clean Fun There!

My desoldering iron shipped today!

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #132 of 396
Quote:

My desoldering iron shipped today!

Now when you get it you can look for stuff to break, I mean fix.

The difference between using that and wick/hand pumps will be phenomenal, you'll be very happy.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #133 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by B00MERS00NER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now when you get it you can look for stuff to break, I mean fix.

The difference between using that and wick/hand pumps will be phenomenal, you'll be very happy.

I got some serious wood watching those Video links you posted. I think that qualifies me as serious DIY potential!

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #134 of 396
Quote:

I got some serious wood watching those Video links you posted. I think that qualifies me as serious DIY potential!

Ha, that also officially qualifies you for being dangerous to inanimate objects in working and non-working condition.

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #135 of 396
Let's not derail this thread with compass burn-in impressions, post it in the compass thread. As for Kingwa discouraging the sun in the compass, it was up for only like a week or so on his compass webpage advising prototype compass buyers to choose between moon or earth only, which leads me to suspect he designed the compass to compliment those two in which case it would make it difficult to find out if there is the recessed mids majkel mentions by using the compass as the only test bed. I do find the sun and the LME49860 quite similar in the compass (but I prefer the sun overall), which leads me to believe the sun will be equally liked as the other hdam's outside of the compass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back