Audio-gd discrete op-amps reviewed: OPA-Earth, OPA-Moon, OPA-Sun v.2
Feb 16, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #76 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldnt' worry too much... transistors or opamps "burn-in" is mostly related to someone's memory being unable to remember how it sounded 250 hours earlier. Not to any actual changes in the semi conductors
rolleyes.gif

lol
wink.gif

I always like a refreshing bit of honesty in this sea of high-end audio.

cheers.

Feb 16, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #78 of 396
ok
smily_headphones1.gif
I do feel overall that my system is more enjoyable to listen to. Even if changing the op amps have not done anything, it will have a placebo effect since you have recommended it highly haha

Feb 16, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #79 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleemv1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok
smily_headphones1.gif
I do feel overall that my system is more enjoyable to listen to. Even if changing the op amps have not done anything, it will have a placebo effect since you have recommended it highly haha

What a refreshingly honest sentiment...

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #83 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sun v.2, always Sun v.2.
biggrin.gif

Sun v.2 huh. I would've thought the so called tube-like moon would sound more like it. Heck i might just get them both if my wallet agrees
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info and for your great review as well.

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #85 of 396
majkel, you seem to be liking the sun more and more. your description on the first page of sun doesnt seem to endorse your current enthusiasm. what has changed? is it not as woody sounding as you thought? i am going to try LME49860MA and see how it does in my ef1. i wouldnt mind trying the ad797 brz but its kinda a pain when you have to get a 2:1 adapter and mount for dual. the earth and moon i had on order went from china to LA to NJ back to LA and now it is going back to china i think???? i am working on getting a refund now. im pretty bummed i never got to try them, but it kinda seemd op amps might be better anyway.

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #86 of 396
This is due to coinciding development of my DAC in the time I try new op-amps. I hear more qualities of some devices, and more flaws of some other but don't find it best to update the first post eacj time. The idea is to read the whole thread. The LME49860 is a safe purchase - no supply, stability or input currents issues as for a bipolar op-amp.

Regarding the Sun v.2 - it is a bit woody but it does not interfere with other qualities of this device. Please also notice that I switched from the +-12V to the +-15V supply some time after ending the review, and this improved the Sun v.2 against the other discrete op-amps.

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #87 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
see, everyone KNOWS op-amps don't need burn-in.

now, cases and screws, that's a *whole* other ballgame! my case is still breaking in and I expect better sound in the next week or two, once the sheetmetal and screws have all 'settled' in their magic positions.

(lol!)
wink.gif

not to mention when your nuts warm up too
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #88 of 396
what exactly does +- voltage mean compared with max voltage? for instance the max voltage on my ef1 is 16volts but head direct gives no +- voltage rating.

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #89 of 396
i am in the midst of testing opamps for both my new xonar essence stx and prodigy hd-2 sound cards which use 3 dual 8-dip opamps:

two for I/V conversion after the analog devices d-a (xonar) akm (prodigy), and
one dual balanced to single ended for output

i've ordered a bunch of brown dog adapters which will allow me to do soic to dip-8 either dual-dual, or 2 singles to dual and also some 2 single dip-8 to single dual dip-8s.

here's the questions:

anyone know if the browndogs will even fit in these cards?

do soics sound better than dips?
do pairs of singles outperform duals?

do the metal can to-99-8's sound better than their dip or soic counterparts?

are there specific recommendations for either or both positions, for either or both cards?, e.g., fet inputs for the I/V... bipolars for output, etc...?

i know than nothing replaces pesonal listening, but the essence card has an emi shield, which takes time to remove-reinstall, plus the shutdown-reboot times which makes it really tedious to do the swap-outs.

tia,

Mark

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #90 of 396
Another modifications of my (modified) headamp... went full discrete.
biggrin.gif

soulmini_fulldiscrete.jpg

Two OPA Moon and one OPA Sun v2

soulmini_fulldiscrete02.jpg

soulmini_fulldiscrete03.jpg

Discrete Diamond Buffer modules upgrade

soul_m_mainboard.jpg

Base headamp PCBs

Sound is so good, powerful, dynamics, tight, wide.... in short, I love it!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back