Audio-GD DI-20
Aug 11, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #3,886 of 5,348
I also had a bit of a short squeal issue when my DI20 was brand new and changed tracks/sample rates. My issue went away after about 400 hours.

After that....smooth sailing.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #3,887 of 5,348
My Gustard c2 is just out of the customs, on the other side of Canada... So not much hope for this week. Canada Post is the worst.
I'm really interested in your findings about this cable, dear Fred. Actually I'm using a self made RG-402, blue skinned exactly like Gustard C2 between Mutec, R7HE and DI-20HE. It was very cheep building them, and results seems good. Very very noosy, lol....

Aug 13, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #3,888 of 5,348
I'm really interested in your findings about this cable, dear Fred. Actually I'm using a self made RG-402, blue skinned exactly like Gustard C2 between Mutec, R7HE and DI-20HE. It was very cheep building them, and results seems good. Very very noosy, lol....
The C2 is a design that discards impedance matching. Can be used as 50-ohm or 75-ohm cable. This got me intrigued and it also rings a bell with Acoustic Zen using a 110ohm cable for 75-ohm applications. I should get the cable on Monday or Tuesday.

So i will be glad to comment on it for you and anyone interested.

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #3,889 of 5,348
The C2 is a design that discards impedance matching. Can be used as 50-ohm or 75-ohm cable. This got me intrigued and it also rings a bell with Acoustic Zen using a 110ohm cable for 75-ohm applications. I should get the cable on Monday or Tuesday.

So i will be glad to comment on it for you and anyone interested.
Interesting! Especially as I am now experimenting with a Merging Hapi network DAC that has a 75 Ohm word clock input. Currently I feed this with a 75 Ohm cable coming from the word clock output of the DI-20HE. The latter is 50 Ohm (in spite of the fact that I ordered it with the 75 Ohm 10 MHz input) and I was considering to ask Magna Hifi to convert this to 75 Ohm. Which seems to be pretty easy: replacing the connector and one resistance. Not sure whether I could do this myself. But with the magical C2 this may not be needed? Looking forward to your findings...

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #3,890 of 5,348
Got the c2 clock cable two hours ago.

Right from the start, clarity has improved, cymbal are better. Also, there is a better depiction of depth and the sound is more relaxed. So far, it's a winner. Very glad with my purchase.

The cable, although it looks like an rg402, cannot be bent permanently, it seems. So different construction.

It came well packed in a nice box featuring a magnetic lid. A bit fancy.

IMG_20220815_162630.jpg

Aug 15, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #3,891 of 5,348
Has anyone tried testing different cables on the di20he?

Would it have much of an effect since the HE has regenerative power?

Aug 15, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #3,892 of 5,348

I have not but I'm sure somebody has. I use Kingwa's cable. I like the heavy duty build and the price is right. I bought it for all my Audio-gd gear except my R2R-11, because it just feels wrong to use an el-cheapo IEC computer cord with his beautiful gear :innocent:

Good quality cable and connections can't hurt. I'm sure it doesn't improve the power, it just helps make sure the power gets there.

Aug 15, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #3,893 of 5,348
Got the c2 clock cable two hours ago.

Right from the start, clarity has improved, cymbal are better. Also, there is a better depiction of depth and the sound is more relaxed. So far, it's a winner. Very glad with my purchase.

The cable, although it looks like an rg402, cannot be bent permanently, it seems. So different construction.

It came well packed in a nice box featuring a magnetic lid. A bit fancy.

Fred, did you really only show the box and not the cable? I kept looking for the second photo :D

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #3,894 of 5,348
I have not but I'm sure somebody has. I use Kingwa's cable. I like the heavy duty build and the price is right. I bought it for all my Audio-gd gear except my R2R-11, because it just feels wrong to use an el-cheapo IEC computer cord with his beautiful gear :innocent:

Good quality cable and connections can't hurt. I'm sure it doesn't improve the power, it just helps make sure the power gets there.
He uses knockoff oyaide connectors on his power cables. They have been reported to be 95% capable of the original by many people that bought them.

Aug 15, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #3,896 of 5,348

The effect is not huge IMO. The amps and pres are more sensitive. Any cable with decent shielding and gauge will do IMO. I would not spend over 100$. I use an Odin knock-off myself.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #3,897 of 5,348
The effect is not huge IMO. The amps and pre a more sensitive. Any cable with decent shielding and gauge will do IMO. I would not spend over 100$. I use an Odin knock-off myself.
I have the odin knockoff on it now, when I get less lazy I'll test a cheap cable and see if theres any difference.

Aug 16, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #3,898 of 5,348
Is it possible for FW to become corrupted and stop the DI-20 from working?
My friends unit was working fine via Zen Streamer/USB + Quobuz. He then tried to cast YouTubeMusic via Bubble/ZS which caused white noise then silence.
He has not been able to get DDC to work again, altho streaming direct to DAC is fine.
The FW at the time was 3.933.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #3,899 of 5,348
Could be as simple as forgetting the Selector controls input between RCA coaxial and USB.

Aug 16, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #3,900 of 5,348
Could be as simple as forgetting the Selector controls input between RCA coaxial and USB.
He did not alter inputs, but will check & report back.
Slight issue we had when I first updated the firmware & went through the procedure which was 100% successful.....but could not get a sound out of the Di20.
Re-did the procedure, and second time it worked, & everytime after that as we sampled the different FW's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back