Audio-GD DI-20
Dec 21, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #2,626 of 5,348
I've settled with 3.933 for a while since three new FW published from Oct 2020. Comparing with other two, 3.933 was the most transparent, clarity and emotional for my rig.
Recently I received RAL i2S cable to replace a $60. Oh man, even after just 2 days burn in, the difference is HUGE.

RAL is like a magnifier, unveils and reveals all the micro details, the separation, tonal clarity, sound stage, razor clearness, airy, esp with high, blacker background.
I have gone through the latest three FW again with RAL, as I was bit disappointing with 3.933, which was my fav with old HDMI cable.
Now 3.933 sounds quite forward, on the face, pin point instrument, extreme details, but lack of low end and I was bit detached from the music itself but the audio, though I've been constantly amazed by the extra details I didn't hear from the same album in the past. Having said that RAL is still much less harsh on highs than the old $60.
I switch to 4.076, it feels everything decreases a little bit, I still don't feel the engagement as in the past.
Finally the 4.075, I can tell straight away it's not the extact clinical presentation of 3.933, the sound stage retrieves bit further back which is my liking. I have more bass, and most important the connection with my music again.

It's interesting that RAL made my FW opinions opposite from other HDMI cable, I'm enjoying music with 4.075 and believe it will last a long time until Kingwa gives us another FW boost.
I'm extremely happy with RAL investment, perfect in my rig from DI20HE (internal P) to PS DSD senior.

Clinical presentation and lack of low end is not what I have experienced with the DI20HE and 3.933.

You may not like what am about to say, but if the new cable change the sound the way you describe it - well isn’t it the sound of the cable? Which if I don’t misread your post has not been burn in yet.

Many audio gear has stunning micro details, separation, transparency etc but still is not that great IMO, because they are to analytical, to bright and lack fullness and coherence.

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #2,627 of 5,348
As I mentioned it's audition after 2 days burn in, it might change later on.
My impression of 3.933 is nothing of typical saying of 'clinical', on the contrary it's no harsh at all but with enormous details comparing with old $60. With 4.075 I find the right place of everything I want and acceptable.
To be frank I didn't get huge difference with three FW with old $60, I settled with 3.933 because of the better clarity in the past.
With RAL the FW difference is obvious, or I might say RAL presents FW in it's own way? Hence I feel to put the word magnifier.
Only to share my 2c, everyone would find their own RAL, ARL or LAR...

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #2,628 of 5,348
@FredA ...regarding the Nimak Black USB pure Silver.... i had it in the chain for 8 Weeks 7*24...
then i changed back to the AQ Coffee....and...the soundstage is wider and deeper...
Clinical pinpoint image is equal...but lower mids and bass is more sustainable...might be the source cable synergy in my setup.
Regarding the Audio GD R8/7HE way, i ordered a may...

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #2,629 of 5,348
Guys, what device do you use to connect to Di-20HE and R7-HE firmwareupdate port if you want to update their firmwares from pc ?

Dec 24, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #2,630 of 5,348
Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #2,631 of 5,348
@REAN1MAT0R Kingwa has a new guide which is shown here: http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/Quatusinstall.htm . In the online document is a link for discussion of USB - JTAG adapter hardware (USB Blaster) that connects to the FPGA and allows reprogramming. The link is repeated here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-di-20.918123/page-117#post-15758813 .

And come back if you have other questions...
@DACLadder, your document helps a lot!
It's my honor that my note was accepted by Kingwa and the link was posted on his front page!

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #2,632 of 5,348
Guys im new to this and im considering the Denafrips venus II. I've just read about the Audio-gr and it seems that its a direct competitor of the denafrips. In this case, has someone here been able to hear the Denafrips venus II vs the Audio-gr R7? (is this the model which is comparable to venus?). Also, is the Audio-GD DI-20 the same as the denfarips Gaia? Whats the difference? thanks.

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #2,633 of 5,348
Guys im new to this and im considering the Denafrips venus II. I've just read about the Audio-gr and it seems that its a direct competitor of the denafrips. In this case, has someone here been able to hear the Denafrips venus II vs the Audio-gr R7? (is this the model which is comparable to venus?). Also, is the Audio-GD DI-20 the same as the denfarips Gaia? Whats the difference? thanks.
I will try to answer one question. DI-20 implements a direct USB clocking when asynchronous transfers are negotiated with host. There is no PLL required. This DI-20 method is so succesful that now is implemented in all DACs 2021 versions. It makes a difference to the competitors who still deploy PLL (including Gaia). This is one things. The other is that you can save money on the DDC when you get a new R7. Use this money to up the standard to the R-7HE.

HE versions (DACs and DCCs) use regenerative power supply, it is a second difference.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #2,635 of 5,348
Hi there,

I recently bought the di-20he and just encountered my first issues with it. There is a sample rate or bit rate (or both) mismatching issue between my pi2aes coaxial out and the di-20he coaxial in. I have tested the pi2aes separately in my chain with no issues, but with the di-20he coaxial, I get very harsh buzzing/artefacting whenever no sound is playing or when I change sample rates between multiples of 44.1 or 48 khz. I reached out to Kingwa about this and he suggested that the pi2aes is outputting too little voltage which just doesn't make any sense to me, considering it's working fine elsewhere. Has anyone else experienced this or know of a fix? I like the sound more than just a pi usb into the di-20he, but cannot even use my system cause of the buzzing right now.

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #2,636 of 5,348
Hi there,

I recently bought the di-20he and just encountered my first issues with it. There is a sample rate or bit rate (or both) mismatching issue between my pi2aes coaxial out and the di-20he coaxial in. I have tested the pi2aes separately in my chain with no issues, but with the di-20he coaxial, I get very harsh buzzing/artefacting whenever no sound is playing or when I change sample rates between multiples of 44.1 or 48 khz. I reached out to Kingwa about this and he suggested that the pi2aes is outputting too little voltage which just doesn't make any sense to me, considering it's working fine elsewhere. Has anyone else experienced this or know of a fix? I like the sound more than just a pi usb into the di-20he, but cannot even use my system cause of the buzzing right now.
Why don't you try using the RPi usb to connect via usb and see if that works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back