Audio-GD DI-20
Jan 27, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #2,656 of 5,351
I am on the latest firmware I believe (updated it about 1-2 months ago). But I keep getting an issue every couple hours where the music will repeat for 0.5 seconds and then continue playing or will just stop and I have to click play for it to resume (I am using roon). Anyone have similar problem? Using I2s output and coax input in di20he.

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #2,657 of 5,351
I am on the latest firmware I believe (updated it about 1-2 months ago). But I keep getting an issue every couple hours where the music will repeat for 0.5 seconds and then continue playing or will just stop and I have to click play for it to resume (I am using roon). Anyone have similar problem? Using I2s output and coax input in di20he.
We haven' t seen any feedback how you managed to setup Roon for WASAPI event driven mode, nor trying a different USB cable. You can also try to put two ferrite clamps on both ends of the USB cable. It looks like:
https://www.google.co.za/search?client=opera&q=ferrite+clamp
Do you power your Roon device, DDC and the amp and other components from the same power outlet?

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #2,658 of 5,351
We haven' t seen any feedback how you managed to setup Roon for WASAPI event driven mode, nor trying a different USB cable. You can also try to put two ferrite clamps on both ends of the USB cable. It looks like:
https://www.google.co.za/search?client=opera&q=ferrite+clamp
Do you power your Roon device, DDC and the amp and other components from the same power outlet?

Hey just tried disabling event driven mode, will see if that fixes the issue.

If that doesn't work will try different usb cable.

Roon core is my pc on 1 outlet. Rest on another outlet.

Thx!

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #2,659 of 5,351

If that doesn't work will try different usb cable.

Thx!

Ok within 5 minutes of driving event driven mode off the sound stopped and i got a buzzing sound... I clicked play on roon and then the music kept playing.

My hunch is its an inherent problem in di20he? But not sure.

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #2,660 of 5,351
Ok within 5 minutes of driving event driven mode off the sound stopped and i got a buzzing sound... I clicked play on roon and then the music kept playing.

My hunch is its an inherent problem in di20he? But not sure.

Actually I wonder if its an I2s issue? I will try coax out only for a while.

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #2,661 of 5,351
I actually wrote that you should enable event mode in Roon. This is the best option for modern DACs.

PC on the other outlet is the best to separate HiFi from PC noise, but put a strain on the USB connection. I wonder, maybe galvanic isolation is broken on DI. Try the same outlet for testing. How long is USB cable?
Actually I wonder if its an I2s issue? I will try coax out only for a while.
I don't think so. Problem is between PC and DI.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #2,663 of 5,351
I actually wrote that you should enable event mode in Roon. This is the best option for modern DACs.

PC on the other outlet is the best to separate HiFi from PC noise, but put a strain on the USB connection. I wonder, maybe galvanic isolation is broken on DI. Try the same outlet for testing. How long is USB cable?

Ah sorry. Ok ya enabling is better I think... thats that it was set to before.

USB cable is 0.5 m and its a pretty high quality audio sensibility signature I think.

Kingwa told me before he thought there was an issue with i2s layout settings on terminator. The Alvin told me how to change the different 'i2s modes'. So I did and cycled a few modes, but that didn't seem to fix it.

Try another source such as a Raspberry or other streamers.

I'll double check but with pi2aes theres no issue.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #2,664 of 5,351

You were right its not an i2s issue. Happens with coax as well.

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #2,665 of 5,351
@smodtactical. Cable lenght is appropriate, but it can be faulty. It is why I suggested to use a different cable. However if the same cable was used with Rpi, it is less probability. In such case connecting PC to the same power outlet is your last chance. Your DI should be checked by a technician whether galvanic isolation on DI works properly.

It will involve a cost, so maybe rewire PC power cord first and if it doesn't help try a trick with isolating 5V pin on the type A plug (PC side). It works generally on Audio GD DACs (which do not use USB power). It seems that floating 5V wire on the receiving side works as an antenna interfering current flow on signal wires. I think Kingwa should supply a special cable with 5V wire removed or soldered to the ground wire on both sides. It works with my R2R-11 and many other people report the same.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #2,666 of 5,351
I'm sorry because I know this has been covered but, can someone post a link to the USB blaster they purchased, ideally from a US-based seller? I've got a Ref5 on the original firmware from '10 and would like to upgrade.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #2,667 of 5,351
@smodtactical. Cable lenght is appropriate, but it can be faulty. It is why I suggested to use a different cable. However if the same cable was used with Rpi, it is less probability. In such case connecting PC to the same power outlet is your last chance. Your DI should be checked by a technician whether galvanic isolation on DI works properly.

It will involve a cost, so maybe rewire PC power cord first and if it doesn't help try a trick with isolating 5V pin on the type A plug (PC side). It works generally on Audio GD DACs (which do not use USB power). It seems that floating 5V wire on the receiving side works as an antenna interfering current flow on signal wires. I think Kingwa should supply a special cable with 5V wire removed or soldered to the ground wire on both sides. It works with my R2R-11 and many other people report the same.

Stuff seems pretty advanced will have to carefully consider. I tried a different pc usb port and that didn't change anything. I'll try another usb.

I suppose I could use my sotm dx usb to convert to coax and use coax input ?

Jan 28, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #2,668 of 5,351
@smodtactical. On another thought, maybe you should try self-powered USB2.0 hub (not 3.0) on a short cable. Ports on your computer can be USB 3.0 which usually give higher noise than older 2.0 ports, it is one reason. A second reason for using self-powered hub is that ground loop can be redirected to flow between these two devices. I understand it sounds crazy while having DI-20HE, but we don't know origin of a problem.

In future you will replace the included SMPS with linear PSU for better results. For now chose a hub that is specced to have multi transaction translators (or Multi-TT). While using a single device connected to the hub it doesn't matter, chip implementation of the more sophisticated design is usually better.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hub#Transaction_translator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back