Audio-GD DI-20
Feb 20, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #2,671 of 5,351
HI all,

Just ordered my DI-20 finally from Kingwa! What HDMI cable would you recommend to connect it to my R7 ? Thanks!
FredA has a really good suggestion. I will second that. Kingwa also suggests wireword chroma 7, in 0.5 m length. This is not an easy to find option where I am. I have the 1 m version, which does not sound as good as the shorter Belden Fe.

Feb 21, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #2,672 of 5,351
FredA has a really good suggestion. I will second that. Kingwa also suggests wireword chroma 7, in 0.5 m length. This is not an easy to find option where I am. I have the 1 m version, which does not sound as good as the shorter Belden Fe.
Thanks! Will also ask Kiingwa. I wonder if an optical HDMI work ? I do use an optical USB that works fine with my R7

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #2,676 of 5,351
I tried two brands of optical HDMI which does not work with R7. Moshou and Fibbr,
I see, I suspect it may not work. I may try mono price but it could be the R7 and/or DI-20 does not supply any power to the HDMI cable, if they are not designed to use with Active HDMI cables. The USB optical works because USB always can supply power.

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #2,677 of 5,351
I see, I suspect it may not work. I may try mono price but it could be the R7 and/or DI-20 does not supply any power to the HDMI cable, if they are not designed to use with Active HDMI cables. The USB optical works because USB always can supply power.
Now I understand what you mean by "optical HDMI". Active HDMI converters won't work, as I2S connection is just sharing HDMI connector and cable, is not HDMI. It is not only lack of power issue, but the whole HDMI signalling protocol is different.

HDMI connector is chosen for I2S as it carries LVDS logic levels, it is all we need to not make any damage to the equipment if someone is trying to connect the wrong device. And we can use a standard HDMI cable which is not expensive.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #2,678 of 5,351
SO my DI arrived very fast today from Kingwa direct, plug and play, no fuss, quite surprised all automatic. I am using an Audioquest Cinnamen. HDMI, (for my TV originally) not got time to get a proper one yet.
USB input --> DI ---> HDMI --> R7
So the. sound stage is immediately super 3D ! dark color (not sure if it is too dark) or maybe a really black background, not sure. There is a hint of strain/harsh/not so refine, probably due to lack of burn in (just 1 her only).
Now what is the ACSS output for ? I don't think the R7 has a ACSS input.
Anyone prefers SPDIF/AES over the HDMI. ?

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #2,680 of 5,351
SO my DI arrived very fast today from Kingwa direct, plug and play, no fuss, quite surprised all automatic. I am using an Audioquest Cinnamen. HDMI, (for my TV originally) not got time to get a proper one yet.
USB input --> DI ---> HDMI --> R7
So the. sound stage is immediately super 3D ! dark color (not sure if it is too dark) or maybe a really black background, not sure. There is a hint of strain/harsh/not so refine, probably due to lack of burn in (just 1 her only).
Now what is the ACSS output for ? I don't think the R7 has a ACSS input.
Anyone prefers SPDIF/AES over the HDMI. ?
The SPDIF ACSS output on DI-20 is for the SPDIF coaxial input of a DAC.

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #2,682 of 5,351
I need an ACSS cable for that ?
An ACSS cable is for the DAC's ACSS output to pre-amp/headphone amp only, it is analog.
But the SPDIF ACSS is digital and a regular SPDIF coaxial cable should work.
I am using a BNC/BNC 75ohm cable (its body is based on Belden 4794R) to connect DI-20 to audio-gd's Ref-5 DAC. The termination of the coaxial cable is more important.

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #2,684 of 5,351
Congrats to your DI, i have no issues with DSD from the DI20HE to the May, Bitstream (source) in JRiver, channel swap in the DI (L/R) and go. The DI shows DSD? Additional be aware of this "burn in" thing, today 3d, tomorrow maybe not...at least for the first 100H...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back