Audio-GD DI-20
Mar 3, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #2,701 of 5,351
Apologies for a potentially stupid question but can the ACSS spdif present in DI20 be somehow connected to BNC?
I happened to purchase a Hugo TT2 and I was wondering if there is any way to connect the DI-20 to it. The bloody thing doesn't have any inputs aside from USB, toslink and BNC
No, it cannot . Here I quote:
S/PDIF OUT ACSS :
Output using current transmission technology over coaxial (0.5VPP @ 75 Ohm).
This output applies the 2nd generation coaxial ACSS technology, which offers even further reduced signal degradation and better sound quality over a coaxial cable .
In theory, when the DI outputs the current coaxial signal to a DAC using a regular coaxial input, thus receiving the current through a 75Ohms resistor, the signal gets naturally converted to a 0.5VPP voltage coaxial signal. Therefore, most DAC can receive this signal and will benefit from this technology .
(Note that If the DAC's coaxial input has a built-in transformer, or if the input impedance is not 75 ohm, or if the input sensitivity is not 0.5VPP @ 75Ohm, the ACSS coaxial connection may not work properly ) .

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #2,702 of 5,351
Apologies for a potentially stupid question but can the ACSS spdif present in DI20 be somehow connected to BNC?
I happened to purchase a Hugo TT2 and I was wondering if there is any way to connect the DI-20 to it. The bloody thing doesn't have any inputs aside from USB, toslink and BNC
You can simply use an adaptor RCA--> BNC to connect the RCA/SPDIF output of the DI20 to the Hugo. You will lose the benefit of BNC. Alternatively you can output via AES from DI20 to the BNC via transformer. The former is likely more straight forward and probably. sound better. I have no idea how that ACSS works and the explanation does not help. I am not aware of any ACSS digital input. for audio-gd DACs so I am not sure what the ACSS is for.

Mar 4, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #2,704 of 5,351
Mar 4, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #2,706 of 5,351
regardless of what ACSS is, there needs to be a DAC that accepts it as digital input, I think that link might have listed some that has it. I am not sure if Kingwa put ACSS digital input on his DACs ? My R7 doesn't have one. So what is the point of putting ACSS if hardly anyone can use it ?
DI-20 is very new, it was introduced only one year ago. Probably next version will have S/PDIF with ACSS link.

[EDIT] No reply, kidding. Only Kingwa knows, user manual do not bring pictures of connectivity options. :)

What is a BNC type In3 port? It may serve a dual function, working as S/PDIF ACSS data port when the external clock input is not enabled on the menu. Do you have In3 input selector as a data source on the menu?

Important feature of a new link is:
ACSS /Class S/Pdif output support up to 384K
It brings it to the Amanero USB maximum sample rate.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #2,707 of 5,351
If you cannot find a BNC-to-RCA coaxial cable with good termination of 75ohm in the regular market or ebay.com, you can order it from Ghent Audio or Kingwa/Audio-gd. Both of them will use a Canare brand cable as the base with pretty good termination of 75ohm on both ends in my experience.

(For example, this one: https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/e09.html . You can see "True 75 Ohm" on the title.)

Of course, a solid silver cable is another story. @FredA has introduced one in this thread.

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #2,708 of 5,351
If you cannot find a BNC-to-RCA coaxial cable with good termination of 75ohm in the regular market or ebay.com, you can order it from Ghent Audio or Kingwa/Audio-gd. Both of them will use a Canare brand cable as the base with pretty good termination of 75ohm on both ends in my experience.

(For example, this one: https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/e09.html . You can see "True 75 Ohm" on the title.)

Of course, a solid silver cable is another story. @FredA has introduced one in this thread.
I think eBay sells some Oyaide solid silver RCA/BNC terminals, you can certainly custom make a RCA/BNC terminal. I have the factory stock oyaide solid silver BNC - very nice and I use an adaptor to make a RCA end if needed. Then. I also bought Oyaide Solid silver RCA version for my DI20 because Kiingwa is not able to put a BNC onto the output (Why can't he chuck out the ACSS that no one uses and put BNC in I have no idea !???)

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #2,709 of 5,351
Am i missing something here?

The Hugo, unless not with a 75 omhs input or without the right sensitivity will likely work with the bnc acss output.

There a four audio outputs all in all: hdmi, aes/ebu, rca, bnc. They all output at the same time and can all be connected at the same time. In fact, i have bnc, aes/ebu and hdmi connected and i can switch the dac input to compare them on the fly.

As for the Oyaide, the dhlab d-750 likely beats it. One thing to pay attention to is the fact the Oyaide is directional and will sound quite better when used in the proper direction. Don't ask me why....

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #2,711 of 5,351
Am i missing something here?

The Hugo, unless not with a 75 omhs input or without the right sensitivity will likely work with the bnc acss output.

There a four audio outputs all in all: hdmi, aes/ebu, rca, bnc. They all output at the same time and can all be connected at the same time. In fact, i have bnc, aes/ebu and hdmi connected and i can switch the dac input to compare them on the fly.

As for the Oyaide, the dhlab d-750 likely beats it. One thing to pay attention to is the fact the Oyaide is directional and will sound quite better when used in the proper direction. Don't ask me why....
OK, does it mean that one can use the ACSS as BNC (the connector looks like BNC) and connect straight to the R7 or other DAC and should work ?

Mar 5, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #2,712 of 5,351
OK, does it mean that one can use the ACSS as BNC (the connector looks like BNC) and connect straight to the R7 or other DAC and should work ?
If the input is impemented with a 75ohm resistor across, like the vast majority, and is compatible with a signal level of 0.5vpp, which is pretty standard, it should work.

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #2,713 of 5,351
And the dac spdif input is not transformer coupled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back