Audio-GD DI-20
Nov 16, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #2,507 of 5,348
Maybe you want to give Daphile a try. It’s a Linux distro with minimum background processes.
I like it, soundwise..

However the user interface is not as polished as I want it to be.
I think Volumio is a better choice. Although, some of the features require a subscription payment...
More polished UI than Daphile for sure!

Nov 16, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #2,509 of 5,348
I just went through my mac mini and cut several processes which slow down the computer and it resulted in a substantially more transparent sound. I was amazed how much of a difference it could make and I keep thinking to myself- if I had a computer which cut pretty much every cpu hogging process- I bet sonic improvement would be great.
It happens only when you do extensive sound processing. If you use bit-perfect path, transparency do not change. There is an option on MAC for the driver exclusive access and it needs an application to use it, similar to Windows WASAPI exclusive mode. Any critical delays in system drivers will demonstrate rather as breaking a stream for a fraction of second.

Transparency is reduced when noise affect transmission on the receiving side. Both MACs and PCs, laptops or desktops are great sources of ground loops. Configuring OS for low latency do not affect ground loops, it is a hardware feature.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #2,510 of 5,348
I bought fidelizer pro and I let it do all it's tricks - can't say I hear the diff.

I got to try a Keces P8 single 8amp 19v tap. It's more expressive than the dual tap (4amp+4amp). I'm amazed how my 2017 r2r7 keeps rising to the occasion - it's by no means my weakest link. And like shark I've been spares all the do20he issues everyone is reporting. Still loving 4.075.

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #2,511 of 5,348
Off topic, but after this discussion I ordered the Nimak USB BLACK Mk2:
...with additional mylar shield, 18 AWG guides in pure soft silver 6N, 3 x shielded, Signal and power leads are shielded separately with high alu mylar foil and then finally shielded with a thick pure copper braid...
we will see (hear), but i will not touch the vodka HDMI cable for now...
The magic i had after 10 hours is coming back fully (90%) after about 140 hours. Occ silver needs extensive burn-in. I am not surprised.

This cable improves everything, and even brings an extra layer of texture, i hope it works for you too.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #2,512 of 5,348
I hear. The computer really makes a difference though.

I just went through my mac mini and cut several processes which slow down the computer and it resulted in a substantially more transparent sound. I was amazed how much of a difference it could make and I keep thinking to myself- if I had a computer which cut pretty much every cpu hogging process- I bet sonic improvement would be great.

A computer is just not ideal because the operating system is getting in the way.
You could give the usbridge signature a try. The simplest thing is to keep you mac and feed it through upnp.

Nov 16, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #2,514 of 5,348
I bought fidelizer pro and I let it do all it's tricks - can't say I hear the diff.

I got to try a Keces P8 single 8amp 19v tap. It's more expressive than the dual tap (4amp+4amp). I'm amazed how my 2017 r2r7 keeps rising to the occasion - it's by no means my weakest link. And like shark I've been spares all the do20he issues everyone is reporting. Still loving 4.075.
These da7s are really superior to any chip solution. When the planets align, it's something else. You get liquid treble, convincing imaging/soundstaging, and deep bass.

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #2,515 of 5,348
You could give the usbridge signature a try. The simplest thing is to keep you mac and feed it through upnp.

How does the usbridge negate the negative effects of OSX in my mac. If my mac is feeding the usbridge it will feed it damaged sound just like it does to my ISO regen.

Could you please explain how it works......?

Nov 17, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #2,516 of 5,348
How does the usbridge negate the negative effects of OSX in my mac. If my mac is feeding the usbridge it will feed it damaged sound just like it does to my ISO regen.

Could you please explain how it works......?
USBridge is a raspberry pi based SBC and does run a linux/ raspian OS based system. Compared to Win or Apple based system, it is much cleaner, assuming one has a good power supply. Fred is using a SimpleBest power supply

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #2,519 of 5,348
I have never used a streamer and do not understand how it works.

Is the following a possibility? If not please correct me.

All my music is stored on my mac mini. I use iTunes to play my music and wish to continue to do so.

Can I connect my mac mini by ethernet cable to the usbridge and then the usbridge by way of usb to the DI20HE and continue to control my music collection through my mac mini as if the usbridge is non-existent?

If not- please explain how it works......

Thanks to everyone.

Nov 17, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #2,520 of 5,348
You'd be adding a box to overcome issues with the OS and mini mac but still use the Mini mac and it's OS for everything, there would be no gain.
What a streamer does is what you now have your computer do, feed digital audio stream to your DAC. If you have an old computer lying around you could try a Daphile install and see if you like it, I have been playing with a heavily trimmed down W based computer running an audiophile player, then switched to an Intel NUC fed by a LPS running Daphile as OS and never looked back, SQ is so much better even when the interface is bit of a handicap (mostly so when adjusting settings). Daphile is controlled by a Tablet or your mini mac via a web interface.
Daphile allows playing your content from physical storage in your network, youtube and Tidal plugins are available yet I'm not sure you can link it to iTunes libraries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back