Audio-GD DI-20
Nov 17, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #2,521 of 5,351
In my system, I use an SOtM SMS-200 with a Paul Hynes SR4T LPS as streamer (roon end point) and a laptop as server (roon core). Both connected to the same network, outputting to the DI-20. Tried out a lot of configurations with the network. Currently, the sms-200 is cabled to a google wifi router and the laptop is connected wireless to the same router.

My initial thought was to connect the streamer directly to the laptop using auto negotiation and ethernet cable. This worked but I like the sound better with the google router in between. Tried cabling of the laptop to the same router but that generates a bit of noise coming from the laptop, crossing the router into the streamer and I prefer the sound of the laptop connected through wireless. Potentially then, the laptop can be moved to another room also, away from the hifi system.

To me, the key is noise and how to avoid it. Experimented with optical network as well but was annoyed about how important the LPS on receiver converter is and actually preferred cat8 cabling to the sms-200 streamer in stead. But other preferences might disagree :)

With the sms-200, I also tried local files played through LMS but that sounded awful compared to room. Tried tidal through LMS as well but also sounded very poor compared to roon. But will need to investigate further on this issue and how to configure the sms-200 with other connection types (because roon is so expensive :frowning2: ).

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #2,522 of 5,351
This all sound so complex to me.

Has anyone developed a program where one can just press a button and the program will disable every single component of OSX or Windows except what is absolutely necessary to play music? That should solve the problem of operating systems hogging up cpu....

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #2,523 of 5,351
same here, Daphile running on the NUC is connected via Cat8.1 and a modded switch (both on LPS) using a Jcat USB output on yet another LPS, and control is done using a tablet or laptop via wifi.

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #2,524 of 5,351

Has anyone developed a program where one can just press a button and the program will disable every single component of OSX or Windows except what is absolutely necessary to play music? That should solve the problem of operating systems hogging up cpu....
someone did Fidelizer....and it is not enough...I have been using Fidelizer with a now obsolete audiophile player program (pureplayer) designed to basically the same thing, long story short, Daphile sounds better.
( I compared two identical laptops, one running Daphile versus one running W10 with fidelizer and PurePlayer (which sounds better than the usual suspects such as foobar etc)

it all may sound difficult, if ease of use is important I's susggest to buy (any) decent streamer, f.e.the Sonnet streamer (in fact a raspberry with some bits and bobs), exchange money for ease of use.

edit: and in fact it IS somewhat of a pain to get going, once it works though, the reward is there, great Sound Quality....IMO folks readily flashing the firmware of a Di should not have to shy off this path, I dare predict the gain in SQ is higher than most expect at close to zero cost.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #2,525 of 5,351

But the problem is not just processes running wild in the OS. It is also (and more importantly) a matter of quality of the PSU/LPS. A pc/Mac by itself is noisy. Needs some work with the PSU(s). I got a nice improvement introducing a dedicated streamer in stead of playing directly from the laptop. Got even better with a Paul Hynes LPS. Much more 'natural' sounding, not digital artefacts/harshness. Difficult to explain. Didn't think that I was troubled in these aspects, but hearing the improvement certainly changed that perception :)

Before the streamer, I tried fidelizer and JPlay in various configurations for my windows laptop but missed some convenience, and the difference were quite small. Roon sounded better but the difference was still small. That changed with the streamer.

The first streamer I tried in my system was an Innous Zen mk3 that I borrowed from a friend as an initial experiment to find out what a streamer could do. And holy f... the improvement was BIG. Certainly a one-box solution I might add but too expensive for me - so I have played a lot with lesser alternatives and experimented on how to improve my more cost-effective sms-200 streamer.

I understand that you feel overwhelmed as there are many approaches to finding a nice-sounding streamer.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #2,526 of 5,351
PSU/LPS matters big time, however; a laptop running on battery SHOULD be able to sound better than using main power, yet in my experiments it did not improve SQ one bit.
A major contributor to noise in a laptop is the screen, switching that off does help...but then you need another device to run the player proggie :wink:

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #2,527 of 5,351
PSU/LPS matters big time, however; a laptop running on battery SHOULD be able to sound better than using main power, yet in my experiments it did not improve SQ one bit.
A major contributor to noise in a laptop is the screen, switching that off does help...but then you need another device to run the player proggie :wink:
I had similar experience regarding battery vs. mains power - could not tell the difference. The laptop is noisy in itself.

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #2,528 of 5,351
THere is no way an noise i my mac mini as reaching my ears.

I have a ISO regen in there with a world class LPS and a DI-20HE which equals double galvanic isolation.

Apple just came out with a new mac mini wit M1 chip which they clam is 300% faster than any intel chip they ever used. I wonder if in this case even OSX processes may be relatively or even ompletely insignificant relative to this enormous leap in CPU power???

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #2,529 of 5,351
processor speed is largely irrelevant to SQ, that is Daphile powers down the ICU to maximale SQ...
(disclaimer; if you want to do DSP/brute Fir, DSD at high rate you may need more processing power, for redbook you do not need anything fancy)

Tou your claim that any noise is unable to reach your ears.....I'll say nothing other than ; just give it a try, and judge for yourself. My thoughts are that prevention is better and easier than curing after the fact. Even when you buy a used NUC the cost are likely far lower than rolling a USB cable.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #2,530 of 5,351
THere is no way an noise i my mac mini as reaching my ears.

I have a ISO regen in there with a world class LPS and a DI-20HE which equals double galvanic isolation.

Sorry to say but in my opinion, that is definitely not the case. I've tried an ISO regen and noise from the source definitely still gets through. Tried it with both the Innous and my laptop, and still the streamer presented a major improvement. But it's ok, if you don't think that a streamer makes a difference. My advice would still be to try it for yourself :)

Nov 17, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #2,531 of 5,351
How do I get music to it? Can I feed it with my mac using iTunes?
Using Audirvana in iTune mode on your mac (it then attaches to itunes to perform playback, itunes still does the rest, browsing, etc), you can send music over ethernet to the usbridge, which can be configured and seen as a upnp node under Volumio. Audirvana will see it as such. This way, the mac still reads the file, decode them and send the music to the usbridge. The usbridge clocks the music and send it to the dac. Compared to a mac, it is very silent electically.

You can give it a try with a simple Rasberry pi kit that cost under 100$. The usbridge with a good psu and dc cable is going for 400-450$.

Another affordable way to test this setup is to order the SimpleBest with a Rasberry 4b inside (pre-loaded with Volumio, which is the easiest to use) . If ever you order the SimlpeBest, request a dc output (5.5/2.1 or 5.5/2.5 connector), it will allow using it with a usbridge which is the logical upgrade option.

I am using the usbridge as a standalone player. The best sound quality possible is when it is used just as a music receiver like i described above.

With the usbridge, some hands-on is needed. Mine came with a loose stand-off inside. Just had to take the cover off and screw it back on. My friend got it with a loose grounding terminal, which was resolved the same way.

Setting up volumio can be dfficult. The easiest way to access it initially is to plug the.usbridge/rpi4b to your router, then to access your router to determne its ip address, then to type this ip address as url in Safari. From there, it's a GUI and rather easy.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #2,532 of 5,351
Sorry to say but in my opinion, that is definitely not the case. I've tried an ISO regen and noise from the source definitely still gets through. Tried it with both the Innous and my laptop, and still the streamer presented a major improvement. But it's ok, if you don't think that a streamer makes a difference. My advice would still be to try it for yourself :)

I DO believe a streamer makes a difference. I see much testimony to this from many people.

My problem is I use apple music service. No other service has the type of music I listen to as I have checked Tidal and Quobuz.

So I need a streamer that works with apple music. Can' find one.... I saw something on google about "airplay" making it possible.?????

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #2,533 of 5,351
I DO believe a streamer makes a difference. I see much testimony to this from many people.

My problem is I use apple music service. No other service has the type of music I listen to as I have checked Tidal and Quobuz.

So I need a streamer that works with apple music. Can' find one.... I saw something on google about "airplay" making it possible.?????
Indeed. Airplay is a possibility i forgot to mention. It is supported by the usbridge/rpi4b under volumio. A friend of mine uses just that with great success. I keep mentioning the usbridge but in fact i mean the usbridge signature.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #2,534 of 5,351
But the problem is not just processes running wild in the OS. It is also (and more importantly) a matter of quality of the PSU/LPS. A pc/Mac by itself is noisy. Needs some work with the PSU(s). I got a nice improvement introducing a dedicated streamer in stead of playing directly from the laptop.
I already put my comment on that, but the respondent still do not understand. Cleaning OS processes only makes sense when using MAC or PC as a mixing/mastering studio where lot of processing is done. For streaming a typical setup is sufficient, but a basic configuring work is required to achieve bit-perfect transfer (I neeed to repeat it again).

As for avoiding ground loops I like Raspberry Pi solutions that makes it network streamer. Did anyone try USB to I2S converter? It is much easier to make galvanic isolation on the I2S side than USB and I know people using such converter as isolator to feed R28 DAC directly that do not have any galvanic isolation.

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #2,535 of 5,351
Indeed. Airplay is a possibility i forgot to mention. It is supported by the usbridge/rpi4b under volumio. A friend of mine uses just that with great success. I keep mentioning the usbridge but in fact i mean the usbridge signature.

Can I use iTunes and control everything through my mac mini using airplay?

Would your friend mind if I contact him to get exact details how to go about this process?

Thanks Fred...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back