Audio-GD DI-20
Nov 17, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #2,536 of 5,351
Can I use iTunes and control everything through my mac mini using airplay?

Would your friend mind if I contact him to get exact details how to go about this process?

Thanks Fred...
I can tell you all about it, i explained it to my friend. The basics are just that your send the audio to an airplay receiver, a usbridge or a raspberry pie in this case.

When buying the device, having volumio pre-installed is possible in some cases. It is possible with the SimpleBest and the usbridge sig.

When you receive the device, your hook it up to your router. Find out its ip address. Type it as url in Safari. Follow the steps to configure it (you are guided through). If the di20he is plugged already, you can select it as your audio device. Once done, you can customize furthermore. Turn off functions you will not use. Adjust the size of the audio buffers, etc...Documention is available at volumio.org. Have a look.

PM me for further questions.

Nov 17, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2,538 of 5,351
I have tried many different music player solutions over the years. From upgrading my PC with superior (USB and LAN card + LPS + special SATA cables and SSD / hard drives) + ultraRendu with good LPS to now Innuos Zenith mk3 all-in-one player.

If you have a tight budget, it's definitely worth upgrading some key components for audio in the computer you already have, but if you are looking for the best and have the money, a good dedicated player like the Zenith is very hard to beat IME. Why, one might ask? And the simple "truth" is that the end result is more than the individual parts and matching of different components, OS and shielding, clocks, regulates, PSU etc. is incredibly important and is something that has to be developed and tested for best result, just like with, DACs amps and speakers.

Bit perfect and bits is bits is not enough for understanding or obtaining SQ for people like us that has a DI20. Things like good Signal Integrity (SI), low leakage current, super low EMI/RFI, jitter and phase noise is together with ultra clean and fast power what’s make our gear or system to sound good.

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #2,539 of 5,351
Bit perfect and bits is bits is not enough for understanding or obtaining SQ for people like us that has a DI20. Things like good Signal Integrity (SI), low leakage current, super low EMI/RFI, jitter and phase noise is together with ultra clean and fast power what’s make our gear or system to sound good.
Bit-perfect setup will not help users of DI-20 understand things (I can't find a reason why it would). Pegasus users are busy with replacing fuses with expensive "audiophile quality" parts. People with some levels of understanding wouldn't become Pegasus users in first place. You are right that bit-perfect setup is not sufficient in obtaining SQ. However it doesn't require any investment, it is the first step to do and ... is not an alternative.

Nov 17, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #2,541 of 5,351
[QUOTE = "FredA、投稿:15980427、例:384686"]
惑星のダ7は、到かかももがあります。ます。
[/これ]
[QUOTE = "sajunky、Post:15982062、Me:528465"]イパーフェクトな到は、DI-20の議が物事をするのにありません(私はませんが、好きをすることを、できません)。ペガサスのステップハ、ぬを到な「刻ファン質」くに交換することそもそもペガサスのバージョンはなるは。SQをできません、ビットパーフェクトな割ありあり。 。
[/これ]
[QUOTE = "sajunky、投稿:15982062、メンバー:528465"]
ペガサスのユーザーは、ヒューズを高価な「オーディオファン品質」の部品に交換することに忙しい。ある程度の理解を持っている人は、そもそもペガサスのユーザーにはなりません。
[/これ]
By the way, what does dac use?

Nov 17, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #2,542 of 5,351
What do you mean by this?
It means in a context. You should follow guidelines how to setup bit-perfect transfers on PC and it is done. When done properly you don't have to understand technical matters.

I was wondering why there is so much concern about quality of USB connection with DI-20, proposing number of workarounds when USB connection should theoretically work the best. In DI-20 it is done properly at the highest possible level. With a modified Amanero module PC clock is synchronised with a DI-20 internal clock. In such scenario there is no need for PLL, we get the lowest jitter possible. There is galvanic isolation, it means no ground loops, what else gives a problem?

I started to think that with a standard OS driver setup there is no assurance that USB port works in isochronous asynchronous mode, it is a mode DI-20 request from PC. When standard driver is used, negotiation may fall back to some other mode which is less reliable or jittered. Response on the forum to my call for setting up bit-perfect transfer gives me suspicion that this is a case. So lets start from setting up a proper driver that is designed specifically for audio transfers, it is a part of bit-perfect setup. WASAPI has two different modes: push and event. Only the later one should be used with DI-20. The other one is for synchronous transfers. Once it is done, we can discuss other solutions.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #2,543 of 5,351
It means in a context. You should follow guidelines how to setup bit-perfect transfers on PC and it is done. When done properly you don't have to understand technical matters.

I was wondering why there is so much concern about quality of USB connection with DI-20, proposing number of workarounds when USB connection should theoretically work the best. In DI-20 it is done properly at the highest possible level. With a modified Amanero module PC clock is synchronised with a DI-20 internal clock. In such scenarion there is no need for PLL, we get the lowest jitter possible. There is galvanic isolation, it means no ground loops, what else gives a problem?

I started to think that with a standard OS driver setup there is no assurance that USB port works in isochronous asynchronous mode, it is a mode DI-20 request from PC. When standard driver is used, negotiation may fall back to some other mode which is less reliable or jittered. Response on the forum to my call for setting up bit-perfect transfer gives me suspicion that this is a case. So lets start from setting up a proper driver that is designed specifically for audio transfers, it is a part of bit-perfect setup. WASAPI has two different modes: push and event. Only the later one should be used with DI-20. The other one is for synchronous transfers. Once it is done, we can discuss other solutions.
Some say when the usb transfer is jittery, there is more back and forth between the dcc and computer and this causes noise. Another factor is usb audio has no error correction. Therefore another possibility is this back and forth can cause transmission error. In theory, with the asynch protocol, all jitter should be removed.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #2,546 of 5,351
Some say when the usb transfer is jittery, there is more back and forth between the dcc and computer and this causes noise. Another factor is usb audio has no error correction. Therefore another possibility is this back and forth can cause transmission error. In theory, with the asynch protocol, all jitter should be removed.
Some explanation. USB audio is transfered using isochronous mode that guarantee bandwith. Each frame is embedded with CRC enabling error detection, so the receiver (in USB terminology called 'sink') can silence the output (avoiding pop-ups), but unlike other USB modes there is no retransmission on errors. So you are right: cable quality is important.

Jitter amount depends... There are three isochronous modes:

1. Synchronous. USB source delivers master clock. This is the worst case for jitter. Receipient has only option to follow the source clock (PLL) and/or resample. Unfortunately it is default mode of the generic driver. If the application requesting USB transfer do not set up end points correctly, request for asynchronous (#2 below) mode is ignored. It happens the same on Windows and Linux.

2. Asynchronous. Receiver's clock becomes a master. There is no specific USB source clock rate, new packets are sent only on the request of the receiver. It is the best case for jitter and most of current USB interface chips support this mode.

3. Adaptive. This is similar to the synchronous mode, intended to improve jitter. PLL is required on the receiver. Many old good USB interface chips use this mode, but now with increased number of devices using asynchronous mode it is regarded obsolete.

Important mattter starts there: Amanero module do use asynchronous mode of course, but DI-20 is special. To achieve a minimum jitter there is no synchronisation between Amanero clock and DI-20 system clock. Amanero just use system clock. What happen when interface defaults to the synchronous mode? Is DI-20 firmware so clever to activate PLL, resampler, whatever - all this things that smooth the clock? When it doesn't say in the manual, it doesn't.

This is a question we need to address. Understanding how important is use of WASAPI Event driver mode and the proper application that request USB transfer is a first step.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #2,547 of 5,351
and perhaps it's even more important/ as important to ask yourself if you want windows to handle all it needs to stay in the air AND your precious audio data. When I switched to Daphile (linux based) SQ jumped 'by a lot'.
(Latency is important)

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #2,549 of 5,351
that OS is new to me nor do I know the Pm 123 player....did you compare it with f,e audiolinux or Daphile? interesting!

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #2,550 of 5,351
I don't think there is a single person on this forum who knows about using OS/2 as an audio player.

I have experience using various Linux and windows builds:
Daphile-probably the first and easiest option to learn, has a classic sound of any Linux system, slightly seasoned with the softness of the LMS, on which it is actually built.
Volumio
SnakeOilOS
BlackOS
AudioLinux
RoonRock
HQPlayer (NAA)
Basically, all Linux systems have a common sound signature. The main focus on detail, at the expense of consistency and fusion of the canvas, there is also a certain amount of compression. Vocals are slightly constrained and not as natural as for example it is presented by Windows builds for audio using optimizations.

Under Windows, it is a little more difficult to download something that initially works and is ready. But the result of refining Windows for audio applications inspires me more. Yes, it is more difficult to figure out which parameter in the OS affects the aspect of sound, but initially the sound is just slightly slow and muddy. Unlike Linux, which even on a fully linear power supply manages to cut my ears.

1605743254351.png
OS/2... well.. this is not just another build of some OS you know. No... not even close.
Its core is written in IBM for military, space needs, and the banking sector, a long time ago, it was optimized and compiled in assembler, most drivers are written in low-level languages and work with hardware without layers of abstraction.

(By the way. Windows, from version NT 3.5 onwards, uses parts of the OS2 core at its core. )

now this OS is being brought up to modern standards by the ArcaNoae team under an IBM license.
I have it running on a fairly well-known Supermicro x10sba motherboard with full LPSU and surpasses such streamers as Soundaware D300REF, DCS Bridge, Auralic G2... The first I own myself, the second and third I took for a while.

1605743163541.png
I support the development of a free PM123 player for this OS, which allows you to play any type of file in any resolution, including DSD 1024. This player also allows you to control playback via the UPNP protocol, so that the computer can be used in headless mode.
For example, I use Jriver as a media server, it is installed on a separate computer, there is also a separate NAS server with music storage, and it is managed on a tablet via the iOS version of Jremote. I really like the functionality and convenience.

Currently, USB audio drivers allow you to connect converters based on XMOS, Amanero, PCM, and ARM architecture to the system. Almost all popular types of converters and DACs work with this OS without problems.
The developers of the Audio stack, free programmers, are not from the ArcaNoae staff, but they try to quickly make corrections to support new devices.

The main qualities of this OS include: Speed, accuracy in transmitting complex rhythms, Dynamic range (the ability to show the scene on a single canvas behind a precisely worked-out main image, a lot of nuances from the supporting parts and quiet sounds, without drawing attention to them). This OS is characterized by a General analogous presentation without signs of digital processing: listeners often note the similarity of the source on ArcaOS with the sound of the master tape, deep, slightly dark.

I apologize for the long post, I got carried away

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back