Audio-GD DI-20
Jan 13, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #661 of 5,351
Its too overpriced. I think Vodka is very good variant. AES/EBU with same quality as vodka costs 3-4 times more

And what about connecting with di-20? how can you connect two usb plugs to di-20 to disconnect one of them later?
I think this uptoneaudio adapter can help to turn off usb power. But turning it on and off for each computer restart is annoing

P1090023.jpg

Anybody tried to connect pc with di-20 without usb bus?

I have a my computer connected ISO Regen feeding my DI-20HE with the above Uptone adapter. The Vbus switch is permanently off for me, I never have to turn it on when restarting the PC or DI-20.

Jan 13, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #662 of 5,351
I have a my computer connected ISO Regen feeding my DI-20HE with the above Uptone adapter. The Vbus switch is permanently off for me, I never have to turn it on when restarting the PC or DI-20.
GREAT NEWS)
do you have pci-e usb card for audio output by usb?

Jan 13, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #663 of 5,351
GREAT NEWS)
do you have pci-e usb card for audio output by usb?

Yes I do. SOTM tX-USBexp powered by ebay Minishow 7v LPS. I lucked out and picked up the SOTM card used for a really good price.
It is a recent addition and definitely an improvement from the motherboard usb,, but with the ISO Regen my motherboard USB still sounded pretty good.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #664 of 5,351
On the other hand, I've just tried on the DI-20 the HDMI I2S and the AES/EBU outputs. All the system remained the same during the test, just switching inputs on my R8 DAC with both cables connected. The cables used were a 2.1 HDMI 8K 0.3m long chinese cable (I think the one @FredA recommended) and a fake chinese Nordost Odin XLR 1m long cable (wich I must say also sounds very nice as XLR).
Well, the AES/EBU input was a clear winner, as @FredA and @DACLadder anticipated. What I noticed the most was improved instrument separation and 3D pin point image. Bass was also better. Staying for now with the AES/EBU cable. Thank you for the advice!
@PLGA - can you provide a link to the AES cable? If I end up getting a DI-20 - I might need a good AES cable. My DAC only has SPDIF and AES. No I2S, so for better or worse - less options to torment myself with :wink:

With prior gear I way preferred AES over coax. When conditions were less than ideal for i2s' critical nature, AES was that great middle ground between coax and i2s.
I guess that's the 2nd vote for AES over Coax! (I do have a very good WireWorld Coax cable, though)

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #666 of 5,351
My DAC only has SPDIF and AES. No I2S, so for better or worse - less options to torment myself with :wink:

@Zachik

Get a Belden serie fe 0.3m hdmi from BlueJeans cables. Best sound yet.

Fred - where do I plug the HDMI cable to?! My DAC does NOT have I2S... :wink:
I have: USB, TOSLINK (optical), SPDIF (RCA / Coax) and AES.

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #668 of 5,351
@PLGA - can you provide a link to the AES cable? If I end up getting a DI-20 - I might need a good AES cable. My DAC only has SPDIF and AES. No I2S, so for better or worse - less options to torment myself with :wink:

I guess that's the 2nd vote for AES over Coax! (I do have a very good WireWorld Coax cable, though)

I would go with the DH Labs cable as I think is a well regarded brand. I personally have their bulk AC power cords (Red Wave and AC Power Plus) and I think they are great for the money. I havent tried their AES/EBU cable, but it must be good and I think Fred has more experience trying cables than me.

On the other hand, the chinese cable I have will cost similar to the DH Labs one and, even I like it very much as XLR and then as AES/EBU, from an Aliexpress seller you are never 100% sure on what you get. I think the DH Labs will be a safer bet.

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #669 of 5,351
I was having some issues with my DI-20 usb input so I refreshed the Amanero firmware. Now it works with the data line only even for the handshake.

Please forgive me for any misinformation earlier...

Jan 14, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #670 of 5,351
I have found total happiness with my updated setup:

Usbridge signature (fed by ebay minishow lps optimized for rpi using a ghent canare dc cable) > ebay silver usb cable > di20he > BJC belden series fe 0.3m hdmi > r7he > diy silver litz acss > he9 > diy silver litz acss > master 3 > acoustic zen satori shutgun > Osborn Eclipse with ref tweeter

That’s it.

Forgot to mention i still use the ebay external ocxo and the serial mode on the di20, the ocxo being fed by an ebay minishow lps through a ghent silver-plated dc cable.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #671 of 5,351
An update to my “phantom-out-of-phase-micro-bursts”. I tried serial mode which seems to thwart the problem...except serial mode with C16 external clock sounds quite poopy compared to parallel mode...pretty much a non-starter. Has anyone who communicates with Kingwa brought this to his attention, since more than a few of us are experiencing it? Now that my HE has a little over 600 hours on it it is really starting to sound like the piece of gear I was hoping for...EXCEPT this random phase anomaly...which really is quite annoying.

Jan 14, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #673 of 5,351
An update to my “phantom-out-of-phase-micro-bursts”. I tried serial mode which seems to thwart the problem...except serial mode with C16 external clock sounds quite poopy compared to parallel mode...pretty much a non-starter. Has anyone who communicates with Kingwa brought this to his attention, since more than a few of us are experiencing it? Now that my HE has a little over 600 hours on it it is really starting to sound like the piece of gear I was hoping for...EXCEPT this random phase anomaly...which really is quite annoying.
I contacted him. Some users have the issue, some don't. I am waiting for my second ocxo to come in before re-contacting him if the problem remains. Try the belden hdmi, works great for me in serial mode.

Jan 14, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #674 of 5,351
Plus the difference between the internal and external becomes small after 800 hours, bass digs lowers, the rest is pretty much the same.

[edit]
Just realized i was in serial mode, there is more of a difference in parallel mode. So far, no glitch with the external using the Belden hdmi. Crossing my fingers.

Dam glitch still there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back