Audio-GD DI-20
Nov 8, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #46 of 5,351
Kingwa has worked on coaxial acss to improve it, calling it the second generation, and on both the SPDIF sending and receiving side to improve performance, as i understand, These are great news for the HE and regular version buyers. I think in both cases, the Gustard u16 should be beaten. One should consider going acss bnc as it should be at least equal performance, and even better according to this person.

Kingwa said to me that the new coaxial acss is compatible to the most DACs. A magic! Before, when I saw the DI-20's introduction page, I though the 2nd generation SPDIF acss is a new protocol to the traditional SPDIF.

Nov 8, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #47 of 5,351
Kingwa said to me that the new coaxial acss is compatible to the most DACs. A magic! Before, when I saw the DI-20's introduction page, I though the 2nd generation SPDIF acss is a new protocol to the traditional SPDIF.
I know Kingwa has projects with spdif but the evolution in this case is with transmitting a current signal, not with the spdif protocol itself. As mentioned, any dac with standard 75ohm spdif input should benefit. So it basically means improved signal transmission, as if you were using a better cable, just like acss applied to analog signals.

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #48 of 5,351
just ordered a DI-20 Accusilicon 90/98M Edition.
Will be feeding my R2R-7. Both are connected to a HE-350 so It should be a pretty damn nice combo. Cant wait to replace the U16! way to buggy for my taste.

I actually have a second U16 feeding my R1 that never worked quite right with I2S so im using SPDIF into the R1. hopefully I can get a second DI-20 eventually for my R1 so I can use the I2S

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #49 of 5,351
just ordered a DI-20 Accusilicon 90/98M Edition.
Will be feeding my R2R-7. Both are connected to a HE-350 so It should be a pretty damn nice combo. Cant wait to replace the U16! way to buggy for my taste.

I actually have a second U16 feeding my R1 that never worked quite right with I2S so im using SPDIF into the R1. hopefully I can get a second DI-20 eventually for my R1 so I can use the I2S
That should be the same as the di20HE version because of your HE 350 power. Congats.
Me, i just also order the Di20HE. I just cannot wait for the review to come. I think I trust Mr. Kingwa so much because all my purchased made were without any listening trial. Hope it is better or equaled to U16.

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #50 of 5,351
That should be the same as the di20HE version because of your HE 350 power. Congats.
Me, i just also order the Di20HE. I just cannot wait for the review to come. I think I trust Mr. Kingwa so much because all my purchased made were without any listening trial. Hope it is better or equaled to U16.

I feel the same, I have never been disappointed yet by an Audio-GD Product. I bought the R2R-7 as soon as it was announced and that gamble turned out amazing. The HE-350 was a gamble as well with no reviews available. I swapped the plugs to Furutech outlets and it has far exceeded all expectations. very happy I bought a HE-350 while it was still available, I actually wish I had bought a second HE-350 for my headphone setup!

Note I read on the R2R-7 thread that Kingwa owns a U16 also. So in my mind, any DDC that he releases would defiantly outperform the U16 or he wouldn't bother releasing it. i think that this DI-20 will really be something special.

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #51 of 5,351
The HE version beats Kingwa's own high-end cd transport fair and square and is the first ddc that could do this. What is more, the bnc out is as good as hdmi. So it should be something very special.

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #52 of 5,351
"Third, If this interface and the coaxial output/input are both Audio-gd's products, the coaxial's performance is better than HDMI."
Kingwa replied on this thread about this issue(It can be translate by google translate):
http://bbs.audio-gd.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=2&Id=31325&page=1&star=4

Based on the google translate, and I adjusted a little bit on translation:
"The comparing is using 24rmb Ugreen HDMI cable and 200rmb Canare coaxial cable, transmitting IIS by HDMI cable is not professional enough, it should have higher requirements for the wire, so it may be different because of that."

Note: US dollar to Chinese Yuan(rmb) is 7.00 now. Based on the 24rmb price and the brand name, I checked taobao.com and think it should be a HDMI 2.0 cable. I also think the Canare coaxial cable is the same grade of coaxial cables sold by Audio-gd.

In another reply of this thread, Kingwa explained why he uses common cables in this demo(I also did a little bit adjustment on the translation of google translate):
"As a demo, you can't use too high grade configuration. so I used the 2012 version Apple laptop to install WIN7, the most common Foobar2000 playback, the high grading wires can not be used, all are in the common grade."

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #53 of 5,351
I was thinking that if the new SPDIF coax can handlle fairly high resolution files (384k PCM and ?? DSD) - and is similar quality to HDMI i2s - then this would give some folks a welcome alternative to device placement as SPDIF can use longer cables.

Nov 10, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #54 of 5,351
(384k PCM and ?? DSD)

384k allows up to DSD128 DoP. The resolution of DSD128 is approx 176.4k which means that DoP doubles the amount of data. Pretty expensive overhead but very positive as the SPDIF is a much more robust method/protocol than I2S over HDMI. I2S is primarily an inside chassie protocol.
/Jan

Nov 10, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #56 of 5,351
384k allows up to DSD128 DoP. The resolution of DSD128 is approx 176.4k which means that DoP doubles the amount of data. Pretty expensive overhead but very positive as the SPDIF is a much more robust method/protocol than I2S over HDMI. I2S is primarily an inside chassie protocol.
/Jan
We all have to consider these specs of Kingwa dacs inputs:

USB / I2S mode: 44.1kHz - 384kHz /32Bit
USB / I2S mode:DSD native 64-512
Coaxial mode: 44.1kHz - 192kHz /24Bit
Optical mode: 44.1kHz - 192kHz /24Bit

This means that even if new DI20 bnc output is able to manage dsd native, and not just DoP, we will never have full decoding ability thru that connection...

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #58 of 5,351
The regular DI-20 is as good as Kingwa"s ref.transport according comments by Chinese forumers who have been at Kingwa's listening room.

As a comparison, the Gustard u16 slighly beats my oppo cd/dvd drive, which is far from being a ref, and i use a cheap bluejeans cable with it. So i guess we all should get an upgrade.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #59 of 5,351
We all have to consider these specs of Kingwa dacs inputs:

USB / I2S mode: 44.1kHz - 384kHz /32Bit
USB / I2S mode:DSD native 64-512
Coaxial mode: 44.1kHz - 192kHz /24Bit
Optical mode: 44.1kHz - 192kHz /24Bit

This means that even if new DI20 bnc output is able to manage dsd native, and not just DoP, we will never have full decoding ability thru that connection...

Sorry, but I don't understand Your post.
As far as I know, SPDIF, AES/EBU and Toslink doesn't support Native DSD. (Source: https://blog.nativedsd.com/dsd-the-new-addiction/)
DI20 spec:
"USB : 44.1kHz - 384kHz /32Bit DSD64-512
Coaxial input: 44.1kHz - 384kHz / Dop
Coaxial output: 44.1kHz - 384kHz"

/Jan

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #60 of 5,351
Sorry, but I don't understand Your post.
As far as I know, SPDIF, AES/EBU and Toslink doesn't support Native DSD. (Source: https://blog.nativedsd.com/dsd-the-new-addiction/)
DI20 spec:
"USB : 44.1kHz - 384kHz /32Bit DSD64-512
Coaxial input: 44.1kHz - 384kHz / Dop
Coaxial output: 44.1kHz - 384kHz"

/Jan

You seem to have well understood...I was just saying that spdif will never accept anything but DoP. So, if we want wide compatibility without switching continuously with cables and connections, we will always use HDMI...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back