Audio-GD DI-20
Feb 11, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #5,191 of 5,351
My friend told me about this problem on DI20HE but I never gave it a thought because I never used AES.

He told me that DI20HE has an issue with AES. It just decides to swap channels on AES output.

To my surprise it did yesterday. I was thinking it must be the cable pin outs.

Today it is fine no swap between channels.

Has anybody experienced this?

Feb 11, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #5,193 of 5,351
Hello
I have a DI 20 with Acculison 98. it goes in SPDIF in an old DCS Elgar Plus dac
I was wondering if I could get a great improvement in sound quality if I change for a DI-20HE ?
Many peoples change their Di-20HE for the new model and I could find one at good price.

Thanks

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #5,194 of 5,351
Apologies for the delayed response. Yes, 2 data and 1 ground is correct
I gave up on this as I am fine with "standard cable". But thanks! :wink:

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #5,195 of 5,351
have you ever tried really short usb cables? like 30cm. I find that really short usb cables cuz of impedance makes my di20 sound slightly better.
For digital cables, shorter is better.

Attenuation is a big issue with digital.

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #5,197 of 5,351
I literally use the short usb cable that came with an old usb regen I had laying around and it was an easy upgrade for the sound. I dont use the regen cause it can potentially introduce more noise.
I've never tried the regen but I did have the ifi ipurifier, igalvanic, isilencer, idefender in the past.

While it does reduce noise, it kills the liveliness and musicality. I think those devices are better suited for a lower end system with alot of noise and starts to have a negative impact on better gear.

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #5,198 of 5,351
DI20HE and the never ending phase/channel swap.

Before it was R8H2 on AES/XLR. Now the turn has come to the R1N/I2S.

I will test if it has something to do with the order of powering them on.

I use to power on R1N, and then R8H2. Today I started with R8H2 first....hmmmm!

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #5,199 of 5,351
DI20HE and the never ending phase/channel swap.

Before it was R8H2 on AES/XLR. Now the turn has come to the R1N/I2S.

I will test if it has something to do with the order of powering them on.

I use to power on R1N, and then R8H2. Today I started with R8H2 first....hmmmm!
So the Audio-GD DI20HE in general has issues with AES or was it just your unit? I can possibly get a good deal on it but just want to make sure

Feb 29, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #5,200 of 5,351
So the Audio-GD DI20HE in general has issues with AES or was it just your unit? I can possibly get a good deal on it but just want to make sure

Does not matter what output. ALL outputs.

I am trying to troubleshoot mine even though I have talke with 6-7 owners with same problem.

So far I am suspecting the bootsequence only

Feb 29, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #5,201 of 5,351
What issues? Swapping channels has been only confirmed this month after couple years of virtually no issues.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #5,202 of 5,351
What issues? Swapping channels has been only confirmed this month after couple years of virtually no issues.
2020....but no one has ever tried taking a LEFT/RIGHT test I guess :sweat_smile:.....(I have personally talked with 6-7 owners about this issues)

My friend tried to convince me of this error 5-8 months ago, I convinced myself he had a faulty device. Until...

I wanted to test my ears strength/balance

However there is NO ISSUES for owners that have there DI20HE on 24/7....talking about 24HE there is absolutely no issues even after 15 power cycles, confirmed by magnahifi. It is only the 20HE...mine and 6-7 others in europe

I just mention it because I still love my DI20HE, even though I need money for the DI24HE, I will not sell the 20. What it does to the R1NOS is unbelievable

----

I am still trying to figure out if it is the boot sequence, even though my friend has been through this, I still want to verify it myself on my unit.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #5,204 of 5,351
Oh okay, not sure if I plan to leave mine 24/7, always worried if it would negatively effect the life span even though it doesn't use too much power

hope you're able to figure out the issue with your unit
From my audiophile perspective. The only devices that is on is....ISP FMC and Router....maybe only...also one network switch. Everything is off when not in use

I have decided to give up on channel swap and turn off/on my Di20HE when it swaps- I have no solution from everything I have tried.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #5,205 of 5,351
The effect of DI20HE:

Interesting test today on a fully custom made server, network switch, fmc. Whole system besides DAC/AMP/Speakers is custom made. No DIY

The setup is complicated to explain the whole chain, but it was a lot of effort and thought behind it.

All of us 3 preferred the R1N/DI20HE over the R8H2/DI20HE.

We were also debating about the need for DI20HE in the system, but the room did not have the perfect treatment, however DI20HE did add its separations between notes.

-----

But that was just a speaker test. On headphones it is completely different game. You can have the R8H2 with a good source without the DI20HE, but for headphones, especially HE400SE it shows its ability of moving the sound a little out of the head and speaker feeling. With a more technical headphone like Susvara other positive things comes out.

The improvement it does to R1N makes me realize how much it might "bottlenecks" the R8H2, which does sound amazing without DI20HE, however the 3D effect and instrument placement, becomes more concentrated and dense with the DI20HE, because it adds more warmth/analog texture. R8H2 already has good analog warmth/weight. I hope the DI24HE does not add the same analog warmth the DI20HE adds....for speaker setup.

-----
(Speakers)
Even though we liked the R1N/DI20HE better we continued and experimented with the R8H2. This DAC is not a simple plug and play DAC. If DI24HE can improve the R8H2 like the DI20HE does to R1N....because we were heading to the same assumption that the REG PSU in the R8H2, was dominating/locking the sonics, even though DI20HE still added some sweetness, it was more not the same degree of improvement vs R1N.

----

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back