Audio-GD DI-20
Nov 26, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #4,366 of 5,351
Any up-sampling or down-sampling whether using audrivana, JR River Media, or even windows built in sample rate converter causes this noise.

By the way- what is the absolute best performing copper based (no silver) Hdmi cable?

Nov 26, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #4,367 of 5,351
Any up-sampling or down-sampling whether using audrivana, JR River Media, or even windows built in sample rate converter causes this noise.

By the way- what is the absolute best performing copper based (no silver) Hdmi cable?
Not sure about best, but performance/price ratio is highest with blue jean HDMI 0.5m

Nov 26, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #4,368 of 5,351

A few folk over in the U18 thread really rate the Tubulus Argentus, including one who found it a big step up over the BJC FE he'd used for a while in his pretty resolving system. Oops - sorry, just realised it's silver so not what you asked about but may be of use to others considering I2S cable upgrades.

I'm using the BJC FE which works well and is super affordable but I've no other I2S reference point.

Nov 26, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #4,369 of 5,351

Is this true even without the DI-20HE?

That is clearly not possible to answer since it's based on opinion. I like Wireworld cables, they come in various flavors and they're good values IMHO.

Nov 27, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #4,370 of 5,351
Is this true even without the DI-20HE?
USB direct to any DAC I have tried from my PC is perfect. Only with the DI between the PC and DAC, and I have tried several PC's, several DAC's, and several USB cables, does this problem occur. I use Amazon HD to stream and have my windows output on the combo 384 set at 32/44.1.. We know that Amazon is not bit perfect and therefore- any music at higher bitrates will downsample to this value and at lower bitrates will upsample to this value. Every single file which is recorded at 16/44.1 plays perfect through all outputs. Every single file which is at a higher value like 48 or 96 hertz results in electrical noise through the non i2s outputs.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #4,371 of 5,351
Narrowing it down.

Have you tried up-sampling on the pc with different software.

If not try another software program and see if the results are the same.
I think I once noticed the same noise and concluded that it happened because the product of two times oversampling (PC and DAC) was higher than 8x. For instance 2x an 4x still works but 4x and 4x produces noise.

Nov 27, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #4,372 of 5,351
USB direct to any DAC I have tried from my PC is perfect. Only with the DI between the PC and DAC, and I have tried several PC's, several DAC's, and several USB cables, does this problem occur. I use Amazon HD to stream and have my windows output on the combo 384 set at 32/44.1.. We know that Amazon is not bit perfect and therefore- any music at higher bitrates will downsample to this value and at lower bitrates will upsample to this value. Every single file which is recorded at 16/44.1 plays perfect through all outputs. Every single file which is at a higher value like 48 or 96 hertz results in electrical noise through the non i2s outputs.
There's a lot of software in the way here. Have you tried with a bitperfect source using the DI-20HE's ASIO drivers?

Nov 27, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #4,374 of 5,351
All bit perfect files play perfectly through all outputs

If so, I have to believe there is an interaction in the Amanero driver and Windows mixer when ASIO is not used. What if you try 24/44.1? More to the point, what if you set both Windows mixer and the Amanero driver to the same depth and sample rate?

BTW I use Bluesound devices to stream from scamazon, that way you get bit-perfect. They're not expensive and they support a large number of services. I also use them with Tidal for the MQA, and for Deezer Hifi which like scamazon does not have a bitperfect desktop app. I use the coax out of the Bluesound into the DI-20/HE and they're good up to 24/192.

Nov 27, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #4,375 of 5,351
If so, I have to believe there is an interaction in the Amanero driver and Windows mixer when ASIO is not used. What if you try 24/44.1? More to the point, what if you set both Windows mixer and the Amanero driver to the same depth and sample rate?

BTW I use Bluesound devices to stream from scamazon, that way you get bit-perfect. They're not expensive and they support a large number of services. I also use them with Tidal for the MQA, and for Deezer Hifi which like scamazon does not have a bitperfect desktop app. I use the coax out of the Bluesound into the DI-20/HE and they're good up to 24/192.
This sounds like a reasonable idea. I do not know however how to set the depth and sample rate in the windows mixer as I do not see that option available in the sound mixer..

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #4,376 of 5,351
This sounds like a reasonable idea. I do not know however how to set the depth and sample rate in the windows mixer as I do not see that option available in the sound mixer..
I may not have remembered correctly. Maybe the one device is the only place you can change it.

Here is what I have:

1669543402480.png

On this tab what you select only matters if you don't use ASIO or WASAPI drivers supplied by Amanero. So in the case of a music player that doesn't do bitperfect, these settings can matter. However in my setup, I got rid of all the desktop apps.

1669543439467.png

Volume should always be set to 100% here.

1669543473919.png

Again, the settings on this tab only matter if you don't use ASIO or WASAPI drivers. In my case I was testing a 48K file from a non bitperfect app and so I set this to match that rate. But, the two checkboxes are important.

1669543507334.png

And of course, turn off Spatial sound and any enhancements that might be offered.

1669543538736.png

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #4,377 of 5,351
^I have all Windows sound devices disabled and set output manually from audio player settings.

Nov 27, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #4,378 of 5,351
I may not have remembered correctly. Maybe the one device is the only place you can change it.

Here is what I have:

On this tab what you select only matters if you don't use ASIO or WASAPI drivers supplied by Amanero. So in the case of a music player that doesn't do bitperfect, these settings can matter. However in my setup, I got rid of all the desktop apps.

Volume should always be set to 100% here.

Again, the settings on this tab only matter if you don't use ASIO or WASAPI drivers. In my case I was testing a 48K file from a non bitperfect app and so I set this to match that rate. But, the two checkboxes are important.

And of course, turn off Spatial sound and any enhancements that might be offered.

Wow- that was thorough. I did all this. Tons of noise from non HDMI outputs. It makes no sense because my previous DI-20HE had no issues in the same system.

Problem is I sent it back to audio-gd and they checked it thoroughly and found NO problems. It almost sounds like interference is getting Sounds very much like emi/rfi noise) in there but I cannot figure how to stop it. I wonder if perhaps it is not grounded inside?

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #4,379 of 5,351
Wow- that was thorough. I did all this. Tons of noise from non HDMI outputs. It makes no sense because my previous DI-20HE had no issues in the same system.

Problem is I sent it back to audio-gd and they checked it thoroughly and found NO problems. It almost sounds like interference is getting Sounds very much like emi/rfi noise) in there but I cannot figure how to stop it. I wonder if perhaps it is not grounded inside?

Is the DAC also new?

Nov 27, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #4,380 of 5,351
I have tried my DI-20HE on 4 different dacs using the ACSS and SPDIF output. Also- with two different PC's, end even in someone else's home- just to make sure it is not my electricity. Also- I have tried 3 different USB cables. Same problem..... I just got a lemon; but audio-gd will not replace it; although they did offer me my money back. Problem is I don't want money. I want the the DI-20HE to work. And- with HDMI out it does or with any other output as long as it is up or downsampled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back