Audio-GD DI-20
Oct 16, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #2,191 of 5,351
are you sure you are looking at THAT much capacitance in a cable? IMO a cable that suffers from charge / discharge effects has no place in audio. My vote is a cold solder joint )try avoid solder alltogether, many brands now have good screw contacts' or a connector issue.
Long ago, during our early days of creating interlinks as paret of our research we listened to a bare wire, cut it and joined it by twisting and compared against a solder joint...I avoid solder joints ever since (where possible), best alternatiove is a twist and then solder but with cable connectors usually all you can do is use a puddle of solder as glue..
It could be a solder joint. Possibly in the usbridge. If so, it will be an easy fix. If in the di20he, should be able to take care of it also. No problem. You are right about solder joints. But when using good silver solder, it minimize the issue. Also, the first 10-20 hours with a fresh joint are no good. After that, they are not an issue really IMO. Otherwise, count the number of joints in a r7he, it would be disastrous ....

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #2,192 of 5,351
yeah with some age they get better, it´s not that they are disastrous but since I know what they do I try to avoid them where I can, especially in the signal path! Think of it like this; if the device sounds as good as it does, figure how it could sound with less solder joints.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #2,194 of 5,351
Did the R7HE arrive? What DAC are you coming from? If you only have one BNC then run it into the DAC where I'm told it makes a bigger diff. I presume you can toggle internal/external clock on the R7's front panel just like we do with the DI20, so when you get the 2nd BNC you'll quickly be able to compare the 4 possible clock modes w/o turning anything off or pulling wires.

The R7HE arrived yesterday afternoon and I got everything connected and had a chance to sit down for a short, informal listen. It is a beast of a DAC! I'm coming from an R8. I plan to pick up a BNC cable this weekend to do the A-B comparison between running the clock into the DI-20 and directly into the R7HE.

I have yet to see a di20 firmware trip on i2s, but I've only had that one listening session with 4.075. One thing I've learned though is do not turn off the DI20 while the DAC is on the i2s input -- it's not gonna damage anything but I'll get a high pitched squeal. Same thing happened with the Singxer SU1, so that's a DAC thing.

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #2,198 of 5,351
For me it was more (D-A) > 2*(B-A). However (HE1 - HE9) > (D-A)^2.
Don't tell me that Jack, i love my he9. I love the 4.075 fw with headphones, just awesome.

For me, the biggest recent upgrade was realizing the usb cable i was using had a connector that got a little loose. Inserting another very good cable brought back the ultimately analog character of the di20he.

For me, it's the di20he's best selling argument. For those who never got used to digital, take note. At the top of the hiearchy, the best digital setup likeky beats the best turntables these days. As far as sounding analog, we are really so close to an actual analog source. Can't imagine what the 10M input on the dac will bring.

My setup is so good, i almost forget i live under a dictatorship.

Oct 16, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #2,200 of 5,351
My setup is so good, i almost forget i live under a dictatorship.

The oligarchy would like me to believe I live under a dictatorship so said dictator will be their scapegoat. They also discovered the best "dictators" have prior experience in acting.

And the way I feel, a population that can't see through the uniparty scam aren't worth saving. COVID21 - let's make this planet great again!

Oct 16, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #2,201 of 5,351
The oligarchy would like me to believe I live under a dictatorship so said dictator will be their scapegoat. They also discovered the best "dictators" have prior experience in acting.

And the way I feel, a population that can't see through the uniparty scam aren't worth saving. COVID21 - let's make this planet great again!
It's not the right thread, but it became very obvious it is a scam and that it must go on for as long as needed. Like a snow storm that does not care which season we are in and that will not run out of gas after one or 2 days.

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #2,202 of 5,351
Again my setup with 4.075 is just wonderful. Always i2s/external/parallel.

Analog sound, imaging, soundstaging, macrodynamics, microdynamics, timbres, resolution, extension.... All checked. The sum of all this is soul to soul connection to the performers. It's a musical immersion.

Art exists to remind us that something greater then this world exists. As artists are elevating their mind and souls, they show us the way.

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #2,203 of 5,351
I realized i was on the internal. Just switched to external. Different but not necessarily so much better. Again better bass extension and a more 3d sound. Mids are not as present. Not having the external with the di20he is not a big compromise with the latest fws. If at all. At least with old recordings with which a boost in mids is welcome.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #2,204 of 5,351
I tested V4.076, and i am sure, that this is the best setup for me.
I don´t know, what happened on the dsp side, but imho the soundstage is almost artificially huge and has less attack and a much better decay and micro details are pushed, i.e. echo...cool!.
Yes, it sounds even more analogue with the R8 in Nos, and i like the sound very much, because it is pinpoint at the same time.
...but if this already beats vinyl regarding imaging...mmmhhhh...maybe the R7HE or a May will go a step further...

Oct 17, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #2,205 of 5,351
Hi guys,

I have tried v4.075 and v4.076, but i do not get the experience you seem to get.
3d soundstage with pinpoint location... nope, instead boomy decays that make recording with ambient/room information pretty much unlistenable. Like a foggy soundscape where here and there instruments coming through. Which also means, micro details are not as defined as they should be etc.

I have:
Cisco Switch > optical LAN > Ether Regen > Aries Femto > USB > DI20HE > I2S > HE7 2020 > ACSS > HE9 > HD800, HE6, K812 or Adam A7x

All audio stuff has its own power line/phase. Except of room lights with dimmers. But when listening, lights are turned off. Or are the dimmers doing harm, even not in use?

Any ideas what the problem might be?

cheers,
Daniel

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back