Audio-gd DAC-19 DSP vs DF [Is the DSP worth the extra $$]
Jul 24, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #16 of 19
When I experimented with 'burn in' I tried just leaving the gear switched on, and got the same results.  At the time, it was with the HDAMs, which, unmistakably and consistently changed the tone of the music at particular periods, such as losing a lot of treble at the 225-hour mark, only to regain it 50 or so hours later.  The heat, caused by the gear running in Class A is definitely doing something, though I'd say you'll get more of a difference between just switching it on and 30 minutes later after everything has warmed up.  I didn't bother counting the hours of use with the Ref 1 at all, just would do things such as switch it on just before dinner so it was nice and warm for afterwards when I had time to listen to music.  The magic number of hours seems to be 350 (100 for testing at the factory + 250 hours) before things start to settle down.  Beyond that, I don't think it's worth thinking about, just enjoy the music. 
smile.gif

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #17 of 19

Quote:
 if something needs burn in is your brain to that dac and it's called adaption to a newer stimulus.

No, this is different.

While it probably isn't an issue with everything, with some gear - especially Audio-GD - the burn-in is real.

When I first received my Ref5 I hated it to the point that I wanted to sell it. The highs were harsh and there was no bass. Today the sound is musically smooth with deep bass. I love it and won't sell it anymore.

Psychological effects happen when you are positive about something, not when you hate it. When you are negative about something you won't suddenly find out that it sounds good. Furthermore, physical sound wave impacts from deep bass is not something you are "imagining" in your head.

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #18 of 19
We are getting radically off-topic, but with burn-in, there is no general answer that it exists or doesn't -- it depends on the equipment.  One's brain most definitely adapts as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back