Audio-gd Compass 2 amp/DAC Impressions thread
Feb 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #258 of 438
Thank you Salx biy but one thing is "out of stock" clearly written on their website and another that thw compass2 with wolfson 2xWm8741 doesn’t appear anymore!

Just sent an email to mr. KINGWA asking him.

Will keep you posted upon reply.

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #259 of 438
Perhaps the manufacturer of their Wolfson chips or parts was having trouble supplying them, also their 11.32 is out of stock too for whatever reason. They do half mention on the Compass webpage that the Wolfson is still sort of available. But yes, it is worrying. If it does come back I'm ordering immediately.

Thank you for sending an email to Kingwa - hopefully we'll hear back soon
smile.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #260 of 438
Hi guys

This is Mr Kingwa's answer to my question regarding wm8741 based products.

I quote:

dear Marc,The WM8741 board have out of stock, we want to order from the factory to have the stock.It need some few months.KingwaAt 2014-02-09 00:48:16,"Marc FORTPIED" wrote:Hi Mr. Kingwa! How are you?I received the compass2 with wolfson 2xWm8741 and I am very happy with it.A friend of mine would like to.buy one. But on your website it is no longer available with wolfson. Only pcm and Es9018.You will not produce more compass2 with wolfson?Thanks

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #261 of 438
That is good news indeed, thanks for posting. I also noticed that the wolfson module wasn't available anymore and I actually thought you mfortpied was lucky and got the last one :wink:
But I also feared maybe King Wa was phasing out the wolfsons completely. I almost panicked and ordered the nfb-2.32 before it would disappear. Now I can relax, take my own pace and save up for the 2.32. I am keeping the compass btw, I think I will use it for movies in my living room, I can't get myself to sell it, it is such an unusual product and I just want to own it, that's all :)
Another thing, the difference between the compass 8741 dac fixed output and the 2.32 dac is small, I asked King Wa about this and he answered: "Not much different, but the NFB2.32 a little better if the amp enough good for show the different. The NFB2.32 is better black background, extend on both end and more smooth". 
They both share the same high grade components, no smd-stuff, so this makes sense. So congrats fellow compass owners, you also got yourself a hell of a stand alone dac :wink:
But still I'm going to get a 2.32 for my stax and I really don't care if I won't be able to hear any difference compared to the compass, I actually wish the difference is minimal, as the compass sounds really really good... but still... "a little better"... well you know how it is :wink:

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #262 of 438
...aaand it's gone... (nfb-2.32) :xf_eek:

I guess it wasn't meant to be. I had been thinking that buying the 2.32 was a bit silly, since I probably wouldn't be able to hear any difference between it and the compass 8741 dac-only anyway.

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #263 of 438
Sorry your 2.32 has gone Dafo. Maybe you can pick one up 2nd hand with a bit of luck, or even put a post in 2.32 thread (if there is one and it's allowed). What about the new Wolfson NFB-2 (2014)?

He's certainly pared down the range over the past 3 months or so. Mind you he doesn't seem keen to spend much on the heating bills by the looks of it :) http://www.audio-gd.com/Baby-EN.htm

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #264 of 438
...aaand it's gone... (nfb-2.32)
redface.gif

I guess it wasn't meant to be. I had been thinking that buying the 2.32 was a bit silly, since I probably wouldn't be able to hear any difference between it and the compass 8741 dac-only anyway.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB22014/NFB2.33EN.htm he just updated the 2.32 to 2.33 (2.33 in url, on site it's called the NFB-2 (2014)). Same chip, updated chassis, and not sure what else is different, but dang it looks good! Looks like you're not out of luck.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #265 of 438
Yes, it looks to be a bit chilly at audio gd :D

About the nfb2(2014), there does not seem to be a choice of digital filters. I have been looking closely at the pictures of the insides, I can't find any pins ready for jumpers and there are no buttons on the front for filters :frowning2: This is the only reason why I immediately wrote it of, I want to be able to choose my own filter. Also I am going to need an explanation as to how it works with the oversampling, does it adjust automatically or is it set for one optimum performance with either low-, mid- or high sampling rate? And which filter does it use?
I'm taking this slow, there is no hurry, I love the compass as dac, it suits me perfectly, besides the fact that it looks like an amp that is not being used as such. But soundwise with my stax it is actually better than I ever thought it could get and it's the best I have heard to date, no doubt about that. And since I really don't want anything to change, why change anything then? Also let's not forget that if I should want a change in sound, there are other filters available, not to mention the other dac modules :wink:

Feb 13, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #266 of 438
Well the seemingly simple task of returning my damaged Sabre DAC module has been unnecessarily complicated.

07/01/2014 – Kingwa being helpful and offering to repair the item if I paid for outgoing and return shipping.

10/01/2014 – Item posted via Royal Mail International signed for.

10/01/2014 – Emailed Audio-GD to inform them it was on its way – No response.

17/01/2014 – Emailed Audio-GD to ask if it had arrived. – No response.

23/01/2014 – Emailed Audio-GD to inform them that the Chinese Postal Service attempted to deliver the item . – No response.
            A delivery was attempted for your item with reference XXX in CHINA before 16:38 on 21/01/14.

27/01/2014 – Emailed Audio-GD to follow up on my previous email – Response on the 29th asking for the tracking number

29/01/2014 – Provided tracking number – Response on 31st saying that they will check on the 7th February due to Chinese New Year.

07/02/2014 – Audio-GD stating that they cannot track the number. – I provided a tracking link and restated the tracking number.

11/02/2014 – Audio-GD with the single line of:
“We locals post officec reply to us , this package has already sent back to England on January 26.”

11/02/2014 – Email to Audio-GD asking how I was disappointed with the service given the number of unanswered emails I sent advising them of the package status. – No response.

So now my Sabre DAC module is on its way back from China, untracked, uninsured, with no response from Audio-GD.

Needless I’m very disappointed with the support i have received (or not).  I have a 40% change of retrieving my Sabre DAC module and even if I do I will have to pay for more shipping charges to get it repaired.

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #267 of 438
I am sorry you have to go through all that trouble.
This really should be a simple procedure for you, but it sure has changed and become what I would consider the absolute worst case scenario with shipment worldwide.

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #268 of 438
Could you have not used Audio_gd's approved carriers? Whatever, this is hugely disappointing. Thing is though, Kingwa really does come over as somebody who cares a lot about his products and aftermarket service. I'm really sorry you went through this ****.

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #269 of 438
I am sorry you have to go through all that trouble.
This really should be a simple procedure for you, but it sure has changed and become what I would consider the absolute worst case scenario with shipment worldwide.

Thanks, i agree this is pretty much the worse case scenario!
  Could you have not used Audio_gd's approved carriers? Whatever, this is hugely disappointing. Thing is though, Kingwa really does come over as somebody who cares a lot about his products and aftermarket service. I'm really sorry you went through this ****.

I spoke to Kingwa about this before i sent the item, to send it via DHL it would have cost me nearly $100 and Kingwa was advocating the use of standard airmail as other customers had previously done.  I went a step further for my own assurance and it didnt do me much good!

Im still waiting for a response from Audio-GD, i really hope we can come to an amicable solution,  as it stands im currently out of pocket to the tune of $120.

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #270 of 438
Well the seemingly simple task of returning my damaged Sabre DAC module has been unnecessarily complicated.

07/01/2014 – Kingwa being helpful and offering to repair the item if I paid for outgoing and return shipping.

10/01/2014 – Item posted via Royal Mail International signed for.

10/01/2014 – Emailed Audio-GD to inform them it was on its way – No response.

17/01/2014 – Emailed Audio-GD to ask if it had arrived. – No response.

23/01/2014 – Emailed Audio-GD to inform them that the Chinese Postal Service attempted to deliver the item . – No response.
            A delivery was attempted for your item with reference XXX in CHINA before 16:38 on 21/01/14.

27/01/2014 – Emailed Audio-GD to follow up on my previous email – Response on the 29th asking for the tracking number

29/01/2014 – Provided tracking number – Response on 31st saying that they will check on the 7th February due to Chinese New Year.

07/02/2014 – Audio-GD stating that they cannot track the number. – I provided a tracking link and restated the tracking number.

11/02/2014 – Audio-GD with the single line of:
“We locals post officec reply to us , this package has already sent back to England on January 26.”

11/02/2014 – Email to Audio-GD asking how I was disappointed with the service given the number of unanswered emails I sent advising them of the package status. – No response.

So now my Sabre DAC module is on its way back from China, untracked, uninsured, with no response from Audio-GD.

Needless I’m very disappointed with the support i have received (or not).  I have a 40% change of retrieving my Sabre DAC module and even if I do I will have to pay for more shipping charges to get it repaired.

I am sorry to hear, but you shall be aware that the most factories / stores in China would be closed and empty for a long period of time during Lunar New Year. The time u had delivered your parcel was exactly their holiday period as stated perviously in their web site, so be sure to contact Kingwa or any salesman in China before if he could make any arrangement on your delivery / purchase or anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back