Audio equip cost to music collection value ratio
Jun 25, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #31 of 37
I have one around 6000 € (yea...filthy europeans) music setup.

And some 30 or so CDs...I do have a lot of vinyls, but I mostly listen to my losslessly ripped CDs. I won't invest into audio gear for some time now, I'll spend my money only for the media (which will be CDs)...and it's about time...

I did get a lot of lossless albums from trades or the like, but I prefer listening to my own albums.

Jun 25, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I think we have a winner in the "purist" department, especially if those LP's were acquired one by one (more or less), with your own funds (more or less) and over a long period of time. In other words, it would take tremendous self constraint to continually reinforce the same decision, week after week, for years and years... do I invest another $50 or $100 in music, or do I get better equipment? "It's got to be MUSIC... I just don't have enough yet... need more!"

If, on the other hand, you stumbled into the collection, well that's another matter. Your equipment will some day start to catch up. But it's still really cool no matter how you look at it. I've got at least 10 times that much invested in the racks that hold my equipment... but still don't have anywhere near 3,500 titles!

Hehe, thanks
biggrin.gif

Well - I have to buy a huge storage rack now as well so I can store all these things - they're in milk crates and specialty boxes
rolleyes.gif
I'm very much affraid that my one rack will not do it - so I'll probably have to pay twice as much as the records themselves to store them - yikes.

I stumbled upon about 1000 LPs, but didn't mention them because they aren't very playable (well, about a third are, but the rest are just scratched or are too dirty - maybe when the RCM comes) and paid for the rest that you see me mentioning in my post above. Tell you the truth, a lot of those records were bought "on the fly" - all at one time - saving on shipping costs
biggrin.gif

I actually just really enjoyed getting all the music, that I forgot that my equipment was subpar
biggrin.gif
I'm working on that now though - my Record Doctor III is on its way, and I am getting a pair of Ohm MicroWalsh speakers in the near future
tongue.gif

Jun 25, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #34 of 37
It is about 1.5:1 at this point, it was closer to 1:1 before I sold my portable rig. Other than buying another portable rig and maybe a pair of SA5ks and/or HD650s in the future I don't see investing much in equipment any time soon, the music will continue to grow, I but about 4-5 titles a month.

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #35 of 37
300 cds x avg 18.00 = 5400
250 LPs x avg 17.00 = 4250

Cost of current stereo setup + headphone rig appx. $ 3750
I would say about a 2 to 1 ratio. No my math doesn't suck that bad. I am not including the bulk of my vinyl because most of it is from the day i was a club dj, aahh the good old highschool days (so much euro trance vinyl i want to barf.
cool.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #36 of 37
Aman, the equipment you can always upgrade but having that much music at your disposal, especially LPs, must be a blast! I find that even with CD's I'm constantly reading the notes, learning more about the musicians, the story behind the recordings, etc. With that many LPs, wow, what a library to learn from!

Jun 26, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #37 of 37
Right now I spend money only on gear, not on music. I download mp3. Although I used to do a distro, I tried to get rid of it, but I still have maybe $200 worth of vinyl and CD's
biggrin.gif
My audio gear cost me approximately $800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back