audio distorion and clipping. what causes it and how can i fix it?
Jan 29, 2011 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but i need to find out if its my headphones or if my sound card sucks.
OK my headphones tend to distort or clip on high pitched vocals and instrumentals. does this have to do with the headphones or does it have to do with them not getting enough power to allow the drivers to function properly? it is a 32 ohm pair of headphones and it is supposed to be able to be used well off of an ipod or computer just fine. but i have heard it could do better with amping. right now it isn't a very bug problem but it can get very irritating. i have the shure srh750DJ headphones and i was wondering if it needs an amp? my sound card is the conexant hd audio card for laptops. its integrated into my motherboard. i have noticed it gets worse the higher i make the volume is this do to the fact it requires more power at higher volumes which the computer/ipod cannot give it? is there a way around this? and i am sorry about starting a thread and mentioning my shure srh750DJ headphones i am not trying to spam. but i have noticed it does the same thing on my pioneer SE m390 headphones as well. i just find it very strange that my 20$ speakers don't clip or distort but my $150 headphones do. something seems wrong about this. does anyone know why this is happening? thanks for your time.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 4
The problem is most likely not your headphones but more likely that your headphones are underpowered.  Many onboard sound cards and many portable sources do not have the power to adequately drive high-end full-size headphones, which results in the clipping and distortion you hear.  Despite the fact that the SRH750DJ have a low nominal impendence rating, they seem to be a bit difficult to drive properly without an amp as others have reported having similar issues.  So I suggest a small budget amp like Fiio's E5 or Headroom's Total Airhead should do the trick.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
The problem is most likely not your headphones but more likely that your headphones are underpowered.  Many onboard sound cards and many portable sources do not have the power to adequately drive high-end full-size headphones, which results in the clipping and distortion you hear.  Despite the fact that the SRH750DJ have a low nominal impendence rating, they seem to be a bit difficult to drive properly without an amp as others have reported having similar issues.  So I suggest a small budget amp like Fiio's E5 or Headroom's Total Airhead should do the trick.

thank you very much.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 4
You're welcome!  I think you'll hear what the SRH750DJ can really do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back