Audio Computer build Help
Nov 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jdlutz89

New Head-Fier
So First off..Hello this is my first post on Head-fi and am looking forward to your responses.

Second let me point out this is a set up for a gaming Rig I am building.

My first question involves Sound Cards.

I was looking into buying the Asus Phoebus sound card..pairing it with an AMP and the AKG Q701 headphone. The question is do you guys recommend a different sound card? It needs to have 7.1, (and headphone amp booster preferably).

My Second question involves AMPs.

I did some research and am looking to get the Matrix M-Stage amp. Would this be a good AMP to provide enough current to use my AKG Q701 effectively? (I am fairly set on getting the AKG Q701's however I can always be persuaded :) )

My Final Question involves using High end AMPs with Mic extensions on the headphones

What i don't understand, is if a mic extension like the antlion modmic would work with the Matrix M.

I plan on using the AKG Q701 for gaming as well as enjoyment. So i need a Mic Extension like the Antlion in order to talk to people in games. From what I understand Mixamp Pro from astro was specifically made to be used with a headphone that has a mic extension. However it doesn't provide enough current to fully utilize the Q701.

My question is: Can the Matrix M-Stage amp use an extension of a Mic onto a headphone as well? if not are there any Amps that someone can suggest that bring out the full potential of the AKG Q701..while also being able to use a mike extension?

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 6
If you have the Asus Phoebus, which can drive headphones up to 600-Ohms.
Why would you need to add an external headphone amplifier with using the 62-Ohm Q701s?

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 6
to be honest. Im completely new to audiophile. I originally had no reason to purchase an AMP. However someone on a separate forum informed me that the sound card can not utilize the full potential of the AKG because of lack of current. Is this completely wrong?

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 6
I use an Auzentech Bravura and, it drivers my Beyer T70's and Senn HD650's very well.

I also use the COAX output to my Schiit Bifrist DAC which connects to my Little Dot MK IV amp.

I'm swapped the opamp with a dual AD797BR module though to change the sound a bit, makes it a little warmer.

Alternatively I use and iBasso D6 amp which is essentailly a USB soundcard, it outputs 650mw into 32 ohms so it can drive almost all dynamic headphones without an issue.

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
To be honest. I'm completely new to audiophile. I originally had no reason to purchase an AMP. However someone on a separate forum informed me that the sound card can not utilize the full potential of the AKG because of lack of current. Is this completely wrong?

First I've heard of a "current problem", but as the Phoebus gets it's power directly from the computer's power supply, I would guess the Phoebus would have lots of current to spare.
But it is something I'm going to look into myself.
But I've never heard of this "current problem" from anyone else and I do read up on the Phoebus.
So I would say skip the external add-on headphone amplifier for now, you can always add it in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back