Audio Aero Prima 24/192 player compared to modded DI/O
Feb 22, 2004 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

AC1

500+ Head-Fier
This is my first (well technically second, the Bel Canto 1.1 being the other, but not competitive at all versus the modded DI/O) experiment into different sources ever since getting the DI/O quite awhile back. The reason for this is that there are some characteristics of the DI/O that have bothered me and with the OmegaIIs, has exaggerated the problem, though I am sure using a T1 amp for the OmegaIIs has really a lot to blame as well.
One of the things about the DI/O (no matter the mods on it) is the amount of lower-mids it produces, which seemingly attaches itself to almost every instrument. Now that is not necessarily a bad thing since it gives everything a warmer, richer feel. The problem is that it lacks weight and transient response, which, because it is so prevalent, exaggerates the problems. With this issue, and an overall light-weight, soft sound, it makes for a less involving, boring sound, loosing some the emotional attachment to the music. It is also sensitive to transports, where some transports I can't stand the sound of with the DI/O. For comparison purpose, the Prima was used with the DI/O (which is is Bolder Mensa+ but with some some added mods to the power supply and ERS treatment bringing it to a, sonically, more magnafied level than a Mensa).
So to test something new, I decided to try a player that has a “musical” reputation and one of the things that came up the most was the Audio Aero players, mostly the Capitoles, but their affordable Prima player was said to be pretty good as well, giving me an opportunity to try out the “sound” of the Aeros.
Now that I’ve had the Prima 24/192 player for a few days (used previously), I can say that it is thoroughly seductive and reading about it as such was not an exaggeration. Does it “solve” the problem I’ve had with the modded DI/O? Yes, it has a much more focused mid, low-mid but still rich sounding, giving a less thick feeling of the DI/O. It also has far better attack in the low-mids where with the DI/O it was almost non-existent. But really that’s not what makes it stand out. What makes the Prima interesting is the well defined nature of the sound, where instruments don’t seem to blur into each other as the DI/O. The DI/O is actually a bit more detailed overall, which is great for single instruments, but when things get complicated, instruments start stepping over each other causing congestion. The Prima is far more “clean” sounding giving instruments a better defined boundary without sounding like they have a hard edge. The Prima also stands out in terms of the body and fullness it creates. Such a well defined image really help it place the image and give it a three dimensional rounded feeling, not that the DI/O sounds flat, but the Prima generates a far more generous and dimensional image. Because of the larger image, it gives a more forward presentation, though I would say in relative size the soundstage is very similar. The DI/O does just place instruments a bit wider, but it's very close.
For a tube player, I was expecting a certain sound, like warm, thick, maybe a bit slow, but the Prima, is fast, way faster than the DI/O, along with better transients, this gives the sound more of a “snap”. But it still gives qualities associated with tubes, like a very smooth, continuous and expressive presentation. The DI/O was kind of a laid-back, but also not very expressive, where the contrasts and swing of instruments are not as apparent, giving for a less musical, less involving sound. The Prima is pretty good with being expressive where there is a greater sense of dynamic contrast in notes, bigger swing in loud to soft and also very continuous sounding making the flow of the music shine through.
Tonal wise, the Prima was actually less “tube” sounding than the DI/O. It actually gave greater high frequency information, being smooth and not pronounced or edgy, making it sound "airy" which could be something that people do not want, but is not so bad for the darker sounding OmegaIIs. The bass on the DI/O was better, being more exteneded and a bit more impactful, the Prima is better focused, rounder, and full. The DI/O in a way sounds warmer due to the low-mid presence, thickness it produces, which may contribute to its slowness.
Here is the real kicker about the Prima. I do listen to a lot of electronic music, and dance music: trance, house, etc. Some of these cds, especially some of the trance ones, are not the greatest sounding of cds being sometimes thin, congested, muddy, mechanical, and downright irritating. Well, for whatever reason, maybe it’s the upsampling, but they make those not so good sounding cds, sound full, organic, and smoother than any right they have to sound like that. Wow, it gives these cds an almost audiophile kind of appeal, sure you can still tell they aren’t pristine, but the fullness, pace, and smoothness it gives to trance cds makes it the best I’ve personally ever heard them rendered. Is this a really realistic view of what is on those cds? Probably not. Does it make them more enjoyable? By a wide margin, yes. So here is the thing, the Prima does have a somewhat “sound”, and if you enjoy it and what it does, that’s great. But if you do not, it does seem to affect a wide range of cds.
I am pretty impressed with the Prima considering it is somewhat modestly priced ($1700) and what it can do for bad sounding cds is, in my view, worth it in itself. It gives a very clean, well defined, smooth sound. It probably doesn’t have the best resolution, definition, bass, dynamics, etc, but is very involving and gets a lot of things right. But this only one of the little experiments I am trying, next I am hoping to try something maybe more analytical to see what that could bring, and if it’s enjoyable.

Feb 22, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 23
Here are some pics:

Player
prima_016.jpg

Top view of tubes
prima_002.jpg

Just to see how small the sub miniture tubes are (very!)
prima_007.jpg

Whole layout, with power supply that is voltage selectable
prima_003.jpg

Feb 22, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 23
Funny how it claims to be an upsampling player, but there's no upsampler chip inside.

Marketing, marketing.

Thanks for the pics of the insides -- I wish more reviews would include them.

Edit: Actually, it looks like they never explicitly claim that it's an upsampling player -- I'm not sure where I got that idea.

Feb 22, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 23
I find the DI/O really sensitive to power conditions and digital cable so it's easy to go wrong. Do you use the DI/O in 44.1khz? I use mine in 24/96 and it's something else.

I am also slowing looking for upgrade from my DI/O. Don't know what yet. I will have to try various DACs.

Feb 22, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
Funny how it claims to be an upsampling player, but there's no upsampler chip inside.

Marketing, marketing.

Thanks for the pics of the insides -- I wish more reviews would include them.

Edit: Actually, it looks like they never explicitly claim that it's an upsampling player -- I'm not sure where I got that idea.

It says that it has 4x oversampling to 176.4 so there seems to be "upsampling" involved.

Feb 22, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
I find the DI/O really sensitive to power conditions and digital cable so it's easy to go wrong. Do you use the DI/O in 44.1khz? I use mine in 24/96 and it's something else.

Very true about the DI/O.
Power conditioning for digital is fed by the Audio Magic Digital Stealth which has made a big difference in the system.
For digital ics, I've had the Acoutics Zen MC2 but that was easily beat by the i2digital x60, also tried to use the Bogdan Silver Spirit as a digital cable, but the x60 still won out especially in overall resolution. Of any cable I have tried, the DI/O has always exhibited the tonal characteristics I was talking about.
The modded DI/O is still a pretty good DAC for the money, but there are certain aspects that are far bettered by the Prima. It's all really relative since the DI/O bettered the Bel Canto 1.1 in pretty much all aspects, where I felt the Bel Canto was far less resolute, being even more light weight sounding, and had even less transient response. But the Bel Canto had always been said to be a light weight sounding dac.

Feb 22, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 23
AC1, If you like the Prima you need to get an audition with the Capitole MKII. To date, BY FAR the best CDP I've heard. I am saving now for the new Prestige when it hits the streets. Anyone looking for a Prima there is a nice silver one on audiogon right now. Glad your purchace has been a good one.

Feb 23, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 23
I'm quite pleased with my Prima as well. Last night I was listening to it with the Omega II's and an old, poorly recorded CD ("The Essential Magic Sam" which includes tracks from 1957-1961) and I've never heard this disc sound better. It's funny, because I couldn't figure it out - the Omega II's are transparent and nonforgiving - you're right, it must be the Prima that takes away the grain and grunge. This is crossover jazz/blues with a swing style, and like most of the music from this genre, recorded in clubs or poorly designed studios. When I read your comments toward the end of your original post, I got this big "Ah ha!" feeling.

The great thing about the Prima (and I'm sure the Capitole II) is that the tube output stage gives the player some warmth without taking away detail to any significant degree. It's a smooth player and not very finicky about the music you throw at it. By contrast, tonight I was listening to "Cubop" (subtitled: The Colors of Latin Jazz) which is quite well recorded, and it sounded fantastic with the Omega II's. The instument seperation is top class, and yet there is nothing sterile about the presentation - the speed of attack is amazing, which again I attributed to the Omega II's and VD Nite cables, but I'm sure it has a lot to do with the Prima letting everything through.

Feb 23, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #9 of 23
Nice pics by the way. I've nto dared to take the case off of my unit. Those tubes sure are dinky!

Feb 23, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Wmcmanus
I'm quite pleased with my Prima as well. Last night I was listening to it with the Omega II's and an old, poorly recorded CD ("The Essential Magic Sam" which includes tracks from 1957-1961) and I've never heard this disc sound better. It's funny, because I couldn't figure it out - the Omega II's are transparent and nonforgiving - you're right, it must be the Prima that takes away the grain and grunge. This is crossover jazz/blues with a swing style, and like most of the music from this genre, recorded in clubs or poorly designed studios. When I read your comments toward the end of your original post, I got this big "Ah ha!" feeling.

The great thing about the Prima (and I'm sure the Capitole II) is that the tube output stage gives the player some warmth without taking away detail to any significant degree. It's a smooth player and not very finicky about the music you throw at it. By contrast, tonight I was listening to "Cubop" (subtitled: The Colors of Latin Jazz) which is quite well recorded, and it sounded fantastic with the Omega II's. The instument seperation is top class, and yet there is nothing sterile about the presentation - the speed of attack is amazing, which again I attributed to the Omega II's and VD Nite cables, but I'm sure it has a lot to do with the Prima letting everything through.

Glad you found the same effect on the Prima as well, it really does remove the grain and grunge from the harsh cds. Since discovering what it did for bad cds, I've gone through my collection and tested different cds of varying quality that I am familiar with. It's interesting becuase for some of remastered cds, like the limited edition Vereve remasters to 24/96, or the XRCD remasters, the Prima had a far less "effect" on, still an improvement but not nearly the same degree as on bad cds, or even some modern audiophile cds. But it does seem pretty consistent that the better the cd quality already is, the less it "improves" it. It still amazes me though how some of those irritating cds are actually pretty listenable now.

Jun 6, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #11 of 23
good comparison, AC1!
when i upgraded to the Mensa DI/O, the fullness of the mids went away, or at least to a point where it's not a problem. i understand that yours is a Mensa too.
what is your history with the DI/O? are you familiar with 7V (for those who are wondering, i'm talking about the stock output, usually changed to 2V) modded units? can you approve the drop in the "problematic" characteristics?

i found the 7V stock output (with different modifications) to suit the CD3000 and ER-4X/S, which unlike the omegaII, are relatively bright heaphones.

Jun 6, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #13 of 23
nice description on both players.

I agree with a lot of what you've said about both players. I am getting less impressed with my DIO for the same reason you've found it, that soft sound and mid-range coloration. The Prima was referenced to pair with tube amps i believe.

It could be my setup/dio but it's way overrated as a giant killer. I am still going to hold on to it for a computer setup in the future.

Jun 6, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
That sure is an ugly player though!
biggrin.gif

the uglier, the better!
when you close your eyes you see what's inside of it, not outside of it!

Jun 6, 2004 at 7:19 AM Post #15 of 23
can you show us the bottom side of the digital and analog boards? there must be a few smt ICs.. I'm interested.. 4x upsampling can indicate the use of ASRC chips rather then digital filters, because they upsample 8x usually..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back