Audeze SINE Series
Apr 13, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #4,456 of 4,783
Does anyone know if it's possible to change the pads to bigger pads using the adapters and get them to sound most similar to stock or slightly more neutral?
Would you guys recommend running them on a Fiio K3 and then maybe getting a balanced cable later?
I am looking at getting a nice source for them and replacing the pads, because they have a tendency to have the 2 p leather parts separating.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #4,459 of 4,783
Wow...

Just got a pair, very suprised with how good they sound. Got them cheap and now will be my go to.
Yeah I was fairly surprised as well. They sound amazing for an on-ear. I have the Sennheiser Momentum pads on them and they sound phenomenal for the price I got them.

Only gripe is the treble could be hot at times for higher volumes than 100dB. And the comfort is still only decent and I can't wear them for more than 2-3 hours at a time.

On a separate note, my question for other Audeze Sine users on this sub if anyone else knows by chance, did anyone notice how the power requirements for this headphone being weird?

Like, powering these off of my JDS Element, I can get higher listening volumes for the same knob position on my Hifiman HE-500s, which is strange given the sensitivity and impedance ratings of these.

I did a power requirements check on digizoid's website and it supports the argument that the HE-500 *should* need more current and voltage output to reach a loudness level, but real life experience doesn't align with that notion.

Just wondering of others experience the same thing and could maybe give some insight on that. Thanks!

May 12, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #4,460 of 4,783
Hi all,

Recently got a good set of Sine's at a very reasonable price but am a bit underwhelmed to be honest. Yes they are crisp & clear but with my set up they sound a bit flat and lack any soundstage. I travel a lot so setup is essentially portable.

Front end: Galaxy Note 4 via Neutron, usb out with lossless files and also Rockboxed i-River IHP-140
Amp/Dac Fiio E18-Kunlun.

Suspect I need a more suitable amp/dac to suit the Sine's. So can anyone recommend suitable amps that work well with these headphones.

May 12, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #4,461 of 4,783
Hi all,

Recently got a good set of Sine's at a very reasonable price but am a bit underwhelmed to be honest. Yes they are crisp & clear but with my set up they sound a bit flat and lack any soundstage. I travel a lot so setup is essentially portable.

Front end: Galaxy Note 4 via Neutron, usb out with lossless files and also Rockboxed i-River IHP-140
Amp/Dac Fiio E18-Kunlun.

Suspect I need a more suitable amp/dac to suit the Sine's. So can anyone recommend suitable amps that work well with these headphones.

they sound crap with the standard cable. The cipher is what makes them shine.

May 12, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #4,462 of 4,783
Yeah I was fairly surprised as well. They sound amazing for an on-ear. I have the Sennheiser Momentum pads on them and they sound phenomenal for the price I got them.

Only gripe is the treble could be hot at times for higher volumes than 100dB. And the comfort is still only decent and I can't wear them for more than 2-3 hours at a time.

On a separate note, my question for other Audeze Sine users on this sub if anyone else knows by chance, did anyone notice how the power requirements for this headphone being weird?

Like, powering these off of my JDS Element, I can get higher listening volumes for the same knob position on my Hifiman HE-500s, which is strange given the sensitivity and impedance ratings of these.

I did a power requirements check on digizoid's website and it supports the argument that the HE-500 *should* need more current and voltage output to reach a loudness level, but real life experience doesn't align with that notion.

Just wondering of others experience the same thing and could maybe give some insight on that. Thanks!
Yeah I’ve noticed that too same volume as my Audeze lcd2 on a jds atom and I agree with the hot treble but Eqd off with the cipher cable and sounds blissful :D

May 12, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #4,464 of 4,783
May 12, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #4,465 of 4,783
Hey... I think you may be in luck!:

I have this, and use it to connect my cipher cable to my mac, but it looks like a whole bunch of people are using it with non-Apple products:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lightning-to-usb-c-for-audeze-and-other-lightning-headphones.908190/

Hope that helps!

-TKB
Cheers for that. Unfortunately I dont have a cifer cable, only the standard flat Audeze cable with a headphone plug. A cifer cable would cost me $100-120, plus the adapter. That would go a long way towards the cost of a good dac/amp, especially if I could seĺl the Fiio.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #4,466 of 4,783
Yeah I’ve noticed that too same volume as my Audeze lcd2 on a jds atom and I agree with the hot treble but Eqd off with the cipher cable and sounds blissful :D
Ok so I'm not the only one that's interesting to hear. I even have to increase the gain to get proper scale of volume increase without the treble becoming too hot at 12:00 on my JDS Element.

Yeah I also have the cipher and using it on my iOS device is awesome. Running through my amp, I have to use a little EQ to take off the edge at higher volumes.

May 15, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #4,467 of 4,783
Hi all,

Amp/Dac Fiio E18-Kunlun.

Yeah the Sines compromise on soundstage. They do excel in being able to present almost all the instruments in busy tracks though. It gives an intimate presentation, which for me is fine for a portable headphone. For desk and long-term listening use, I would prefer something else.

Powering the Sine with a stronger amp will not really change the sound signature I would say. I know because playing the Sine through my iPad's 3.5mm connection and through my JDS Element - there wasn't much difference that I could notice. It stays relatively flat with increasing treble on higher volume.

The cipher cable adds the needed bass to EQ options via iOS to make the sound more lively or flatter - depending on your liking. Audeze really made the pairing with the cipher cable the best dac/amp pair for it as it adds the 3db bass boost that makes it sound more exciting.

May 26, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #4,468 of 4,783
I have had this issue. It may be the overmoulding on the plug is a bit long, stopping the plug going all the way in. I trimmed it bavk with a very sharp knife (scalpel).

I still get issues now an then. The "gold" plating isn't great. One side is rotting through to a green corrosion. I live in a hot country.

So 2 years and counting and the problem has worsened. The workaround has evolved into me putting a small piece of paper just slightly outside of the hole on the left earcup before plugging in the cable forcefully. It kinda solves the problem but it's annoying to have to do this plenty of times especially since it would stop working again if the cable is tugged or moved hard hence you have to repeat it again. I honestly have no idea what that piece of paper achieves and how it makes the left channel work again.

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #4,470 of 4,783
simplistic question but... How do the Sines compare to dynamic IEMs on detail and soundstage?
That's not that simple because there's no simple answer for it. There's multiple IEMs with dynamic drivers and hybrids as well. You might want to be specific in what you want to compare them with.

From my experience, the detail retrieval is great but not exceptional, especially on busy tracks. The Sine's sound stage is less than your shoulder width if I were to make a physical representation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back