Audeze SINE Series
Jan 5, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #3,886 of 4,783
Ordered mine yesterday and normally I like over ears more.
But due open backed headphones are not accepted downstairs and the good reviews of this headphone made the jump.

Luckily I see it's possible to make it over ear with the Msr7 mod.

I saw some velours type Msr7 pads... Did anyone tried that type? How will it differ of the leather ones? Just comfort? Or soundwise also?

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #3,887 of 4,783
Impressive answer considering I haven’t heard a lot of reviewers compare the EL-8 as favorably to the LCD line. Considering how incredible the EL-8 sounds I can definitely get behind your comparison.

It always floors me how subjective this hobby is. Everybody has different preferences on the Audeze lineup, with some even preferring the Sine or iSine’s sound over its bigger brothers.

After trying the Sine and iSine10 I’m happy to say that I found my preference by far with the EL-8 Titanium.

Don't mean to hijack the Sine thread but I too was surprised at all the bad reviews on the EL-8 and EL-8C. And I never had a problem with them disconnecting ever, but I try not to disconnect them a lot. I love the fun tonal balance of the Sine but for all day comfort the EL-8 can't be beat. But neither comes close to my LCD-3 which totally blows them away.

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #3,888 of 4,783
Don't mean to hijack the Sine thread but I too was surprised at all the bad reviews on the EL-8 and EL-8C. And I never had a problem with them disconnecting ever, but I try not to disconnect them a lot. I love the fun tonal balance of the Sine but for all day comfort the EL-8 can't be beat. But neither comes close to my LCD-3 which totally blows them away.

EL-8 Titanium is even more fun than the Sine :). The Cipher cable is what gives it the extra oomph.

Jan 6, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #3,890 of 4,783
Maybe there is an EL8 thread somewhere?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-el-8-impressions-thread.750056/

Somehow, the Headfi'ers here are not that crazy about the EL-8s, thats the impression I get. Its probably because, the original version had some issues with the sound and FR. However, after Audeze updated the headphones with the Fazor version, the sound really improved a lot, but by then the damage was done. They are pretty good sounding headphones though, especially now that the price has lowered substantially. Compared to the Sennheiser 6XX, the soundstage is wider, and with a good DAC and clean source, wonderful imaging.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #3,891 of 4,783
EL-8 thread is basically dead unfortunately but it’s definitely Audeze’s most underrated headphone. It may be because it took them a revision to get it right, but what they do have now sounds absolutely incredible. Never before have I been able to hear every layer of a song so distinctly separated. Imaging and separation are top notch. Despite not having an open design, the EL-8 Ti is the closest I’ve heard to being in the middle of the studio and being able to take in each element of a song individually. Every frequency is impeccably and equally represented. Truly a first-class headphone.

I plan to write a full review which may reignite some interest in the now discontinued headphones. EL-8 Titanium never got the praise it deserved so I think it justifies its own thread.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #3,892 of 4,783
To give an answer on my own question.

Ordered both MSR7 pads. Pleather and velours.
I think i will end up with the velours if the sound doesn't get effected much.

Ifi Ican SE on its way... And i am all set and ready to go...

Don't use Apple products so no Cipher cable and read it benefits bit more with amp.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #3,893 of 4,783
Thanks for the reply. I ended up buying the Sine’s due to their portability and to provide a more discrete look in the office. I didn’t try the EL-8s, the seller only had the Open version. In-ears I only use for jogging.

The Sine produces a very good and balanced sound that I’m really liking. Their fit is not awesome to say the least, after a hour or so I have to slightly change their position on my head to continue listening. I can live with that though, the sound compensates the trouble. Interestingly the sound and fit of the Sine remind me the Beyer’s DT1350 I had a few years back.

The EL-8 is an amazing-sounding headphone and the best with the Cipher cable I’ve heard, but portable is the last way I’d classify it. It feels like a high-end luxury item designed to be used with white gloves, to me at least.

If you do like in-ear monitors you should give the iSine lineup a try as it could be closer to what you’re looking for. Sound signature will come down to preference; regardless, the Cipher cable provides a lively, detail-resolving sound with all of the Audeze headphones that it drives.

Comfort is remarkable with the EL-8 due to the large earcups which are made of a luxuriously soft memory foam. Sine is fine if you take a break after a few songs, and the iSine will be very subjective — I hated the fit but I imagine if you can get it to work for you it’d be ideal for an office environment.

Jan 6, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #3,894 of 4,783
I have/had both the EL8 (open) and the Sine. The EL8 sounds way better to me, but I returned the EL8 because it made a crackling sound every time I move my head, and when I tilt my head, one side becomes a little quiet. I have to sit perfectly still when using them. Audeze says it's normal for a planar to do that, but none of my other planar does that. Mine was the newer version too.
The EL8 would had been my end game, if not for those issues.
I'm perfectly happy with the sine, it sounds great, but it does need a little more bass tho.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #3,895 of 4,783
Anyone know if the cypher cable will work on android if I use a lightening to usb-c adapter?

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #3,899 of 4,783
Just get an iPhone x like I did. Problem solved.

Hah! Hardly a minor decision. :) I'm an iOS guy myself (iPhone 8 Plus), and changing platforms to Android would create some pain points for me (ahem, Apple Watch, iMessaging), so I am confident going the other way there are similar pain points.

I thought Audeze was going to be creating USB-C variants of the Cipher cables, no?

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #3,900 of 4,783
Hah! Hardly a minor decision. :) I'm an iOS guy myself (iPhone 8 Plus), and changing platforms to Android would create some pain points for me (ahem, Apple Watch, iMessaging), so I am confident going the other way there are similar pain points.

I thought Audeze was going to be creating USB-C variants of the Cipher cables, no?
I think the latest on that is that there is no cipher for Android coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back