Audeze SINE Series
Jul 25, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #3,617 of 4,785
I wish this thread has more conversation than this. :frowning2:
After the update of headfi site, headfi seems a dead zone. :frowning2:

Haha, think of it like this; If everyone is complaining about comfort but not the sound then that means everyone is satisfied with the sound! :beyersmile:

I myself am using the Sine with the Cipher Cable plugged into an iPhone 6S Plus. No EQ. Sounds absolutely phenomenal with FLACs.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #3,618 of 4,785
IMG_0468.PNG
As it seems after some experimentation I found that the Cypher cable is not playing bit perfect.
It converts everything to 48KHz
The past few days I am using the ST-1 (DSD & FLAC) app in my 2017 iPad with my main DAC but also with the Sines.
As the settings of the app show the Cypher cable is playing everything to 48KHz (even the 44.1).
I don't know if there is a setting to avoid that but I couldn't find any!!!!
As I know the Cypher cable is supposed to play up to 192KHz....

As you can see in the Screenshot ... there is no way to change! I tried but no luck...

Does anyone know a solution?

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #3,619 of 4,785
I came up with a DYI solution for those that wish for thicker earpads.

1. Lift the earpads off the earcups
2. Unfold the protein leather from underneath the earpads to expose the memory foam.
3. Grab a sponge and cut it into pieces of desired thickness.
4. Put the pieces on top of the memory foam and fold the protein leather back into place.

PS: A sponge is obviously made of fast foam which doesn't compress that much compared to memory foam, this will increase the distance to the driver so if you wish to maintain similiar driver distance use memory foam from a bed mattress instead.

Voila! :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #3,620 of 4,785

2. Unfold the protein leather from underneath the earpads to expose the memory foam.
4. Put the pieces on top of the memory foam and fold the protein leather back into place.

PS: A sponge is obviously made of fast foam which doesn't compress that much compared to memory foam, this will increase the distance to the driver so if you wish to maintain similiar driver distance use memory foam from a bed mattress instead.

done that. it wuld make the factory pads hard.

just use momentum pads

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #3,622 of 4,785
Not really a fan of over-ear earpads for outside use. They isolate too much outside noise, get hot and sweaty as well as increase bulk.

PS: Do you know how thick the stock Sine earpads are?

thinner than momentum pads.

momentum pads the size of bose qc pads only. bit surprised when i received it. i was already curious how people manage to chuck in bose pads. after i got the momentum pads, i understood.

yes. any over and on-ear is not suitable for use in hot weather.

thus, neither sine/isine that i got is for outside use. the main earplugs is kz zs5.

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #3,623 of 4,785

Guys I went one step further! And let me tell you.. WOW! I cut out a piece of memory foam from one of the corners of my bed mattress and made 2cm thick earpads in the same size as the stock ones, covering them in protein leather from the stock earpads as well.

They are soooo comfortable and the sound has not changed at all! I am finally satisfied with the comfort!

https://m.imgur.com/a/L9BVi :L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #3,624 of 4,785
I just recently received my custom made over-ear genuine leather + alcantara earpads from Vesper Audio. I thought I'd share some photos with you, because there don't seem to be any photos of the pads on the headphones.

Aesthetically, the earpads appear to be slightly uneven. They don't have the same prescise fit and the stock pads, which was to be expected, but a bit disappointing given the price. The fit on the ear cup is good enough, and the pads are very secure, but the foam doesn't fill out the cover the way stock pads generally do.

Fortunately, the comfort is superb. I found the stock pads unbearable, and I couldn't listen to the SINEs for longer than 5-10 minutes without having to re-adjust the fit. The custom pads are an absolute joy to use, and allow me to use the headphones for 6+ hours at a time; a worthwhile investment in my mind. I haven't had the pads for long, and with the time that it takes to switch the pads over, I cannot accurately comment on the changes to the sound, but I believe them to be minimal. There was certainly no negative impact to the sound.

I also purchased the Oppo HA-2SE, after discovering that my Oneplus 3's headphone amplifier was a far cry from what was required to drive the SINEs to a satisfactory volume level.
The SINEs are surprisingly difficult to drive.
The Oppo 'just' delivers enough power to the headphones to satisfy my tastes. I find myself switching the gain to high, and maxing out the volume on high quality tracks, that are well mastered, with good dynamic range.
It was a bit disappointing to discover how difficult the SINEs were to drive, and surprising to discover that the HA2 can only just deliver the power required, but perhaps that will be good for my hearing in the long run :wink:

The sound with the HA2 is incredible though. I've been using the bass boost function to deliver a subtle increase to the bass response, which I feel the SINEs really benefit from.

Anyway, enough yammering, here are the photos:

LRM_EXPORT_20170726_204148.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20170726_204238.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20170726_204419.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20170726_204353.jpg

// Alex

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #3,625 of 4,785
As it seems after some experimentation I found that the Cypher cable is not playing bit perfect.
It converts everything to 48KHz
The past few days I am using the ST-1 (DSD & FLAC) app in my 2017 iPad with my main DAC but also with the Sines.
As the settings of the app show the Cypher cable is playing everything to 48KHz (even the 44.1).
I don't know if there is a setting to avoid that but I couldn't find any!!!!
As I know the Cypher cable is supposed to play up to 192KHz....

As you can see in the Screenshot ... there is no way to change! I tried but no luck...

Does anyone know a solution?
I believe this is the max that can pass through lighting port

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #3,629 of 4,785
I believe this is the max that can pass through lighting port
With other DACs and camera connection kit no... there are apps (like the ST-1 which is great by the way) that can do even DSD in iOS but the main problem is that the Cipher cable plays only in 48KHZ meaning that it changes 44.1 to 48 and it's not possible to avoid that and play bit perfect 44.1.
The internal DAC of the iOS device (iPad 2017 in my case) can play 44.1 without changing so the issue is with the Cipher cable!!!!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #3,630 of 4,785
I wanted to bring back a topic that has been mentioned in the past. I placed an order for the Sine online but went to a local store afterward. Previously, I listened to it a few times at the Apple Store, but it's too loud to listen to it properly. The problem is the pad crunching. At the Apple Store, it seemed to be OK. At this other store, it was constant. Every time I moved my head I heard the crunching sound. Is this crunching sound something that goes away after a while or is there a fix for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back