Audeze SINE Series
Apr 28, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #3,481 of 4,788
Hello, can anyone tell me whether the Opus 1 is able to drive the Sine properly straight out from 3.5mm output? Is it better or worse compare to using the cypher cable with iPhone 7?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 28, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #3,482 of 4,788
Ok, so I'm "trying" to DIY a balanced cable for the Sine. I sacrificed my Amazon cable only to find out I wasn't going to be able to "balance" it. So, has anyone come across or has the size of the slim 3.5mm that will fit in the Sine?

It's a solid stock cable but I find it a little thick, particularly as its flat and only bends on one axis. This is what I used to make my balanced cable:
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4686

The only issue is that the above linked plugs are designed for some other uses and inside the connector you'll need to strip your outer sheaths just after the rubber grommet in order to have the space to feed them through and fit the outer shell back on. My balanced wire is an 8-braid copper/silver hybrid configuration and it was a very tight fit which required some serious man handling. If you're using a simpler braid it'll be easier to make but still a very tight.

At the time, I found about 5 other alternatives which would also fit however they were much longer and I didn't want the end of the termination sticking so far out of my Sines. There are also cheaper 3-pole connectors available but I'm not a fan of redundant poles. If you use a 3-pole termination then it's the first and last pole which make a connection with inside the headphone.

If you want to try to introduce a similar angle to the stock cable then use 2 lots of glue lined heatshrink, pre-bend the wire to the angle you want and apply your heat. There's enough tension to hold the bend in place sufficiently.
Depending on what balanced source you are using 2 of my balanced DAPs don't benefit the Sines tremendously however 2 of my other DAPs make a significant difference particularly to the presentation of the slightly narrow soundstage.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #3,483 of 4,788
Hello guys, I was just inquiring about which adapter to use, I see a lot of people posting their versions, from vesper to ninja and ggabrielle on Reddit (unless that's one of you? ) and are msr7 or angles pleather brainwavz the way to go?? I want a better or decent seal or minimum leakage and secondary would be a bit more oomph in the bass, I am on a hip hop and funk vibe atm. Ty guys!! I also read about the qc25 felt as an added mos but I want to know how everyone feels so far.

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #3,484 of 4,788
It's a solid stock cable but I find it a little thick, particularly as its flat and only bends on one axis. This is what I used to make my balanced cable:

The only issue is that the above linked plugs are designed for some other uses and inside the connector you'll need to strip your outer sheaths just after the rubber grommet in order to have the space to feed them through and fit the outer shell back on. My balanced wire is an 8-braid copper/silver hybrid configuration and it was a very tight fit which required some serious man handling. If you're using a simpler braid it'll be easier to make but still a very tight.

At the time, I found about 5 other alternatives which would also fit however they were much longer and I didn't want the end of the termination sticking so far out of my Sines. There are also cheaper 3-pole connectors available but I'm not a fan of redundant poles. If you use a 3-pole termination then it's the first and last pole which make a connection with inside the headphone.

If you want to try to introduce a similar angle to the stock cable then use 2 lots of glue lined heatshrink, pre-bend the wire to the angle you want and apply your heat. There's enough tension to hold the bend in place sufficiently.
Depending on what balanced source you are using 2 of my balanced DAPs don't benefit the Sines tremendously however 2 of my other DAPs make a significant difference particularly to the presentation of the slightly narrow soundstage.
Good luck.

what's the pin out for soldering please? which is ground?

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #3,485 of 4,788

Good luck.

I actually went with Cables and Connectors from Toxic Cables. On a 3 pole connector, you need to combine the ground and Ring together to basically turn it into a Mono plug.
18057681_610488682482242_969257697168330357_n.jpg

May 1, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #3,486 of 4,788
The closed one has better bass slam.

Hm. Anyone else can speak to this? My wallet would thank you.
I don't need immense quantities of bass, but the speed and impact and texture of the closed Sine's does it for me.

May 5, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #3,489 of 4,788
Hello guys, I was just inquiring about which adapter to use, I see a lot of people posting their versions, from vesper to ninja and ggabrielle on Reddit (unless that's one of you? ) and are msr7 or angles pleather brainwavz the way to go?? I want a better or decent seal or minimum leakage and secondary would be a bit more oomph in the bass, I am on a hip hop and funk vibe atm. Ty guys!! I also read about the qc25 felt as an added mos but I want to know how everyone feels so far.

I have the fake msr7 and the angled brainwavz pads. Both reduced significantly the bass, you won't find a better or bigger bass than the one the original pads provide. In fact, after trying the alternatives, seduced by some fanatic buyers raving opinions which, after all, i can't understand, i've stayed with the originals because they don't give me big comfort problems and are the better sounding ones. If i had to change i don't know what could i recommend. Brainwavz are a very, very bad option for the sound, more distant and dull. Buying them was a mistake. Msr7 will leak more than the originals but sound will be more similar and comfort is ok, better than the originals.

May 5, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #3,490 of 4,788
I have the fake msr7 and the angled brainwavz pads. Both reduced significantly the bass, you won't find a better or bigger bass than the one the original pads provide. In fact, after trying the alternatives, seduced by some fanatic buyers raving opinions which, after all, i can't understand, i've stayed with the originals because they don't give me big comfort problems and are the better sounding ones. If i had to change i don't know what could i recommend. Brainwavz are a very, very bad option for the sound, more distant and dull. Buying them was a mistake. Msr7 will leak more than the originals but sound will be more similar and comfort is ok, better than the originals.

What kind of Brainwavz are yours ? I have got the basic pleather one, and to me there is absolutely no difference in sound vs original pads, just much more comfortable.

May 5, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #3,491 of 4,788

If you are not using member ninja adapters, then is will happen.
Even the cheaper 3d printed version I have also does not keep the bass..

So you are correct about the duller and lack of bass in those cases.

The Sine has an issue about ear proximity.
It needs to be close and have an excellent seal or you will loose bass and get a dull sound.

I had most optimal results with the combo of fake MSR7 pads, bose lettered felt covers, and the ninja adapter...
Better than the Vesperaudio pads...

Yet I sold my sine and moved on because I was never satisfied with both extremes of bass and treble.

Then I was quite shocked when I thought it was so great quality and my headband snapped out of the blue, just by stretching open to lower onto my neck.

Once I received my perfect new replacement, I sold the unit because I need much more durability as I am type that use everyday and most of the day even during work!

The Hifiman Edition S is no better at all in durability and its headband snapped quite easily in dead center when I pinched it closed with two fingers!

I assume the plastic composition may have been corrected by now as mine was an very early unit...

Anyways that's my two cents.
I personally have settled on having to use EQ on another portable to get what sound I want.

I cannot recommend any other headphones that the two mentioned at the moment regardless because they still have best sound in Portable use.
So take care of your Sine, and DON'T STRETCH THE HEADBAND!
:p

May 10, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #3,493 of 4,788
If you are not using member ninja adapters, then is will happen.
Even the cheaper 3d printed version I have also does not keep the bass..

So you are correct about the duller and lack of bass in those cases.

The Sine has an issue about ear proximity.
It needs to be close and have an excellent seal or you will loose bass and get a dull sound.

I had most optimal results with the combo of fake MSR7 pads, bose lettered felt covers, and the ninja adapter...
Better than the Vesperaudio pads...

Yet I sold my sine and moved on because I was never satisfied with both extremes of bass and treble.

Then I was quite shocked when I thought it was so great quality and my headband snapped out of the blue, just by stretching open to lower onto my neck.

Once I received my perfect new replacement, I sold the unit because I need much more durability as I am type that use everyday and most of the day even during work!

The Hifiman Edition S is no better at all in durability and its headband snapped quite easily in dead center when I pinched it closed with two fingers!

I assume the plastic composition may have been corrected by now as mine was an very early unit...

Anyways that's my two cents.
I personally have settled on having to use EQ on another portable to get what sound I want.

I cannot recommend any other headphones that the two mentioned at the moment regardless because they still have best sound in Portable use.
So take care of your Sine, and DON'T STRETCH THE HEADBAND!
:p

Yup I snapped my headband recently and have no warranty since I bought second hand and now I have ninjas adapters and msr7 pads and I am about to do a permanent hotfix to keep the headphones llfrom being complete trash.

May 10, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #3,495 of 4,788
Yup I snapped my headband recently and have no warranty since I bought second hand and now I have ninjas adapters and msr7 pads and I am about to do a permanent hotfix to keep the headphones llfrom being complete trash.

Where is the weak point for the Sine? I'm about to lend mine to a friend for a listen, but now having second thoughts about it. Do you have a pic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back