Audeze SINE Series
Apr 24, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #3,466 of 4,783
Has anyone compared the resolving ability of the Sine vs. EL8 Ti? I've heard the Sine and remember them being extremely resolving with the Cipher cable. Can the Ti's do the same?

In my opinion, the Sine can be way more resolving than the cipher when paired with a high quality powerful amp. Even the portable Cayin C5 sounds more resolving with the Sine with a wider soundstage. My point is, cipher may be great to use with a phone outdoor, but it hardly brings out the Sine's true potential.

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #3,468 of 4,783
  Has anyone tried the open back version - sine DX at the last CanJam in LA? Any impression to share? Wonder if I should wait for that or just a cheaper close back now.

The open back Sine had a really wide soundstage, with a similar sound signature as the closed Sine. Thats what I can recall from my audition at the CanJam.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #3,470 of 4,783

​It sounds like except the isolation and the price, there is no advantage of the close one over the open one.

Thats right, and more so, the isolation on the closed one is not great either.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #3,471 of 4,783

Thats right, and more so, the isolation on the closed one is not great either.

​Thanks. Do you still remember what material the grill of the open back is? Is it plastic or metal? Interesting, the MSRP of the open back is $150 more than the close one. Not sure if it is more expensive to build or just a marketing strategy to charge premium for open.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #3,472 of 4,783
Has anyone tried the open back version - sine DX at the last CanJam in LA? Any impression to share? Wonder if I should wait for that or just a cheaper close back now.

I didn't A/B them when I demoed the Dx at CanJam but I remember the soundstage being identical to the closed. Definitely not LCD level soundstage or even EL-8.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #3,473 of 4,783
They just added the page for pre-orders on their site: https://www.audeze.com/products/sine-series/sine-dx-ear-open-back-headphone

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #3,474 of 4,783
​Thanks. Do you still remember what material the grill of the open back is? Is it plastic or metal? Interesting, the MSRP of the open back is $150 more than the close one. Not sure if it is more expensive to build or just a marketing strategy to charge premium for open.

It was a polycarbonate-type material (or yes, plastic).

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #3,475 of 4,783

I am not sure what the material of the grill is. The higher MSRP is probably more of a marketing strategy. As far as I know, closed backs are harder to design than open backs due to the problems with inner reflections etc. Also, Sine was originally designed as an open back some three years ago, and then they redesigned the open back into a closed back (theres a youtube interview of Audeze CEO). Since extra R&D went into the closed back model, I would expect the closed back to be more expensive than the open back, but thats just my 2 cents. There may be reasons I am not aware of.

I am not sure, if it is a good value even with the promotion. The EL-8 open back can be had for $40 more from Razordog Audio (demo condition with full warranty).

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #3,477 of 4,783
  I was told I could purchase the cypher cable separately eventually but I still don't see it anywhere...giving up soon as I have an iphone 7 and I would love a direct/upgraded cable...

You can't order it online. You have to call Audeze to custom order it.

Apr 25, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #3,478 of 4,783
​It sounds like except the isolation and the price, there is no advantage of the close one over the open one.

The closed one has better bass slam.

Apr 26, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #3,479 of 4,783
+1 excellent and cheap cable I prefer these over original audeze stock cables, those are better quality , longer and more flexible as well.
Sine+ Brainwawz angled pads+neomusicia cable= my final choice for Sine.
Thanks for this, I had planned to sell my SINEs and downgrade (to me) to the PM-3 just for comfort. I'm happy with the sound of this setup with my DFR and extremely happy with the comfort.

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #3,480 of 4,783
Thanks for this, I had planned to sell my SINEs and downgrade (to me) to the PM-3 just for comfort. I'm happy with the sound of this setup with my DFR and extremely happy with the comfort.

The PM3 are comfortable, but the Sine with MSR7 pads is better still, and for minimal cash outlay (I would just get the adapters printed up).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back