Audeze SINE Series
Dec 4, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #2,926 of 4,783
Is there any way I can listen to my lightning cipher version with my MacBook Pro? My MacBook doesn't have a lighting port. Is there an adapter I could use? I can only fit so much lossless audio on my iPhone...

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #2,928 of 4,783
Is there any way I can listen to my lightning cipher version with my MacBook Pro? My MacBook doesn't have a lighting port. Is there an adapter I could use? I can only fit so much lossless audio on my iPhone...

No, and that's why the SINE and Cipher cable is the first and last lightning headphone that I have, and will ever buy.

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #2,929 of 4,783
I think people finding Sines trebly or harsh is surprising. One thing it is is middy, without EQ or Cipher. Strong mids can be just as annoying as highs, our ears are very sensitive to mids, because we need to hear human voices clearly.

For me, they are just great paired with the Cipher. They bring the bass out the a bit more. Just 2db cut at 125hz brings them to pretty much perfect portable balance I like. Maybe +1db at the lowest sub and 4/8khz makes them even better. I've also boosted 16khz - maybe my hearing is more lacking there, but that ok too for me.

Dec 4, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #2,930 of 4,783
Anyone think these would fit Sine?

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Headphone-Replacement-Cushion-Earpads/dp/B00OO23GIS/ref=pd_cp_23_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00OO23GIS&pd_rd_r=8GTAWQCQ7MH6WFMR65VX&pd_rd_w=bdrhX&pd_rd_wg=jfuU7&psc=1&refRID=8GTAWQCQ7MH6WFMR65VX

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #2,931 of 4,783

It looks great from pic as it is such similar shape,
But most likely a bit too big.
Nevertheless, I ordered it to try so thanks.
I won't have a problem as I have ordered also the adapters from member "inertianinja".
Thanks to his ingenuity in his adapter design I will be able to try many larger pads and the Audio Technica pads which should be most optimal,
Alongside the vesperaudio.com pads, which I also ordered as I am stubbornly determined on quest for the best pads for the Sine...

The HM variant pads are not optimal as I verified the sound become less lively and also I have to wonder if there is driver variation.
Many mixed complaints on trebles.

My first Sine was no issues that I noticed with trebles...
I sold that pair quickly because of stupid stock pads and the HiFiMan Edition S came in to distract me.

My second Sine I recently purchased has noticeably a bit of top end trebles elevated and the sound overall more lively, with also impressive tight extended bass..

These differences may be small but are impressions that are noticeable to my memory.

Anyways here are some pics of pads tested:

So far nothing optimal to even discuss here.
I found a smaller similar shaped pad which actually tones down trebles and make overall less exciting, and also two different HM pads, (angled leather and flat).

So I am hoping on the upcoming pads.
Audio Technica has not answered my email and that upsets me as I really want the pads...
I also ordered the fleabay fake pads.

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #2,932 of 4,783
@maxx134 they still haven't gotten back to you? Maybe I could reach out to the guy for you.

Maybe they could do a group buy or something. I don't want you to miss out - i really think the MSR7 are ideal for the Sine

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #2,933 of 4,783
@maxx134 they still haven't gotten back to you? Maybe I could reach out to the guy for you.

Maybe they could do a group buy or something. I don't want you to miss out - i really think the MSR7 are ideal for the Sine

Well I believe it was because I emailed late in day Friday so I am waiting/hoping on today for answer.

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #2,934 of 4,783
How much are the vesperaudio pads they are not responding to me either.  Right now I'm using M1 pads with a doggy treat, and headband stretched slightly.  I'm happy with the sound.  I'm sure it could be a little better comfort wise though.  M1 pads are not the best for comfort.  But still little more comfortable than stock.

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #2,935 of 4,783
After a good amount of hours with these now.  What I find is these sound fantastic with all the Sabre DAC's I have tried.  With Mojo they seem to have slight issue keeping up with the details presented, it could be that or possible bad recordings and sine is just not as forgiving.  My TH-X00's roll over some of the detail that the Mojo offers.  The Sine provides details I have never heard in the track.  I don't have enough 1K plus equipment to know if its the Sine is not keeping up with the details or if its just so detailed it shows the errors in the tracks (someone else may be able to chime in on this).  Obviously though THX00 and Sine both serve different purposes and I'm happy to have them both.  The sabre dacs or even the cipher with the sine roll over the details that the mojo provides, so sine really shines with cheaper DAC.  I didn't really anticipate this.  I always expected the Mojo to be end game DAC/AMP.  But obviously the paring is not the best for some tracks.  Weather or not these recording are at fault or not I do like listening to some of them and they just sound better with Sine and Sabre dac.

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #2,936 of 4,783
My wife ordered me the Sine for xmas, but through a series of mistakes ordered the non-cipher version. I contacted Audeze, and they said they could send me a cipher cable that will work for $99. That cable is in the mail. The communication with Audeze has been a little odd, but i have asked to make sure that the cipher cable will work with the sine, as I see they have one for their other headphones, but the Sine seems to have a special connector. The guy assures me they will, but uses language like "I think they should work fine".

looking at images, I noticed that the Sine cipher seems to "y" out to each earcup using a proprietary connector. Has anyone ordered the non-cipher sine and gone this route, or am I about to receive the wrong cable?

Dec 6, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #2,937 of 4,783
  Well I've been on a hiatus from head-fi for a while now, having been chasing the dragon with my 2-channel speaker setup.  I finally got it to a point now that I find very enjoyable, so it was time to get back into head-fi.

I sold off most of my headphone stuff to fund my 2-channel upgrades (LCD-2, Schiit Lyr, etc.).  I recently had the chance to hear the Sines at a local dealer and listened to them from my iPhone 6S Plus via the Cipher cable.  This was after listening to headphones like the Focal Elear through the Questyle 600i.  I was thoroughly impressed by the sound I was hearing.  It definitely made me miss my LCD-2s quite a bit.  Went home and ordered a pair from Amazon so that I can demo them under the extended holiday return policy.

After a few days of listening, I'm about 80% convinced that I will end up keeping them.  Here is my list of pros and cons, based on my listening through the Cipher cable as well as through my Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2:

Pros:
  1. Excellent midrange. Instrumental textures are engaging and intoxicating at times.
  2. Good drive and punch, especially via the Cipher cable.
  3. Decently deep bass, with great bass texture.  Similar to the LCD-2
  4. Good level of excitement, and emotional connection to the music
  5. Convenience with the Cipher cable out of the iPhone is very nice, and eliminates the need for another bulky DAC/Amp unit
  6. There is a nice "sparkle" to the sound.
  7. Detail retrieval very impressive for a headphone this size.

Cons:
  1. Bit of a treble peak that can highlight sibilance in many recordings.  Have not tried experimenting with EQ.
  2. Comfort is decent if you know how to place them on the ears, but comfort will never be a strong point of these (with the stock pads at least). Sometimes I have trouble keeping parts of my ear from hitting the bars/grate that protect the inside of the headphones.  This becomes very uncomfortable.
  3. Similar to the LCD-2s, the sound is somewhat "inside the head," but this is to be expected.  
  4. Clamping force is a tad strong, but I am expecting this to improve over time.
  5. There is a bit of grain detectable in the treble with both the Cipher and Audioquest Dragonfly (see note below)

I also had a chance to hear the Sine through the Questyle 600i, and they scaled incredibly well here.  The 600i provided "more of everything," with the sound being even more punchy, but even smoother with more refined highs.  The grain that I heard with the Cipher cable and Dragonfly was almost completely eliminated.

Overall, for the price, I'd say Audeze did a very good job here.  I actually compared the Sine to the EL-8 when I was in the local shop, and I preferred them greatly over the EL-8.  In fact, the EL-8 did not impress me at all.  I knew better than the pick up the LCD-2s or even 3s, because that would have just started another tailspin into the audiophile rabbit hole.  I will say though, that I'm now also craving a pair of the Focal Elear.  But that's another story.

I have both Sine and LCD-2 Pre Fazor. I have mostly tried my Sine's with 3 amps: Mojo, Woo WA7 w/ Standard PSU, and my Onkyo DP-X1 internal Amp. Although the Sine does have a characteristic Audeze sound, I really must say that the LCD-2 is ALWAYS (EVERYDAY) better in all regards. Especially when paired with the Mojo. The Bass is much more delicious and the mids as well. The only thing I think the Sine might do well is the treble but the LCD-2 is not really inferior even on that regards. It's just big and not portable..

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #2,938 of 4,783
  How much are the vesperaudio pads they are not responding to me either.  Right now I'm using M1 pads with a doggy treat, and headband stretched slightly.  I'm happy with the sound.  I'm sure it could be a little better comfort wise though.  M1 pads are not the best for comfort.  But still little more comfortable than stock.

If you're using gmail please check your Spam folder. The response from Vesper was flagged as Spam in my case...

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #2,940 of 4,783
Need some advice, So I am considering 2 options, getting the Cipher cable, or a portable amp to pair with my Sines.

The amp I am considering is the Cayin C5Dac , this works with the iphone/CCK cable and I am just wondering if this combo would be better than the cipher cable. Granted I know it's going to be more cumbersome to carry around, but the other advantage is that I can also plug in my other headphones and IEM's into this combo.

I have read positive reviews on the Cayin C5 amp with the sines, I just don't know how much of a downgrade the C5dac version is from the standalone C5 amp.

Any knowledge on this is appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back