Audeze SINE Series
Nov 30, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #2,896 of 4,783
50 box solution.

Nobsound NS08.
No brainer.

Wow! Tube amp for $50! That's even cheaper than Little dot/Aune. The specs look so impressive. I am tempted to order one. Any reviews, comparisons to other amps? I don't really trust the Amazon reviews. There seems to be a newer model NS-01E, but with only one tube, not two like this one.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #2,897 of 4,783
Wow! Tube amp for $50! That's even cheaper than Little dot/Aune. The specs look so impressive. I am tempted to order one. Any reviews, comparisons to other amps? I don't really trust the Amazon reviews. There seems to be a newer model NS-01E, but with only one tube, not two like this one.

Why not have a look on ... Head-Fi ?
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/794796/nobsound-ns-08e-also-know-as-nobsound-6j9-hybrid-tube-amp

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #2,898 of 4,783
Nov 30, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #2,899 of 4,783
So as I posted previously, I am looking at possible options for an amp, I found the Cayin c5DAC, which if I understand can be used with a CCK through the apple lightning adapter. It seems like the C5DAC is somewhat similar to the regular Cayin C5, does anyone have any thoughts on the C5DAC? I get the impression that the Sines like amplification and also concerned about the limitation on bitrate, so I am wondering if the C5DAC would be a better option as compared to the Cipher cable.

Thanks,
James 

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #2,900 of 4,783
  So as I posted previously, I am looking at possible options for an amp, I found the Cayin c5DAC, which if I understand can be used with a CCK through the apple lightning adapter. It seems like the C5DAC is somewhat similar to the regular Cayin C5, does anyone have any thoughts on the C5DAC? I get the impression that the Sines like amplification and also concerned about the limitation on bitrate, so I am wondering if the C5DAC would be a better option as compared to the Cipher cable.

Thanks,
James 

The C5DAC is in fact a totally different amp than the C5 (I recall reading this from a Cayin personnel in a Head-fi forum). It is also less powerful, 300 mW at 32 ohms compared to 800 mW for the C5. It may still sound good with the Sine. The advantage is, it has a DAC built in, whereas C5 doesn't. If you decide to get this, I will be interested to hear your impressions.

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #2,901 of 4,783
  Just happened to have a set of Momentum V1s sitting next me my Sines so I stuck the pads on them. Really tight stretch but I was able to get them on.

I didn't think much of what they did to the sound. Very similar to the HM5 pads, it makes the terrible more pronounced and sound artificial.

Just happened to have a set of Momentum V1s sitting next me my Sines so I stuck the pads on them. Really tight stretch but I was able to get them on.

I didn't think much of what they did to the sound. Very similar to the HM5 pads, it makes the terrible more pronounced and sound artificial.

Oh, that's a little disappointing then. Thanks for the quick response!

I updated my brainwavz leather pads opinion a couple posts back after using it a bit longer on the Sines (and Fostex T50RP) and then going back to stock pads. I think I am going to keep the original pads on for now. I think the HM5 leather pads would be good for someone who really likes bass heavy sound, but it might be a bit much for me while losing some of the details I really desire. An ideal solution would probably be something in between that and stock.

I'm trying M1 pads now.  I think I prefer the sound changes.  Little slower/smoother the SPL from highs are not as fatiguing.  The bass punch is not as strong but more presents and extended.  I think it reduces the pressure from the entire range which allows me to go a step or two volumes up as well.  The M1 pads isolate just as well too.  But same issue as M1's is it would be to small for many people.  M1 pads also not angled and not as thick as other replacements and not as far away, a smaller upgrade in comfort than other options yet pretty comfortable.  I would imagine this is a good in between option.

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #2,902 of 4,783
hi I have this combo but it sounds harsh and unrelaxed giving be a headache with electronic music.  I think its the Sine cause I tried it with the iPhone still the same sound as the Mojo.  don't know what to do already got into this hobby.  like to know if there is any other headphone that can pair well with the Mojo and not give a harsh sound.  Thanks.

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #2,903 of 4,783
  hi I have this combo but it sounds harsh and unrelaxed giving be a headache with electronic music.  I think its the Sine cause I tried it with the iPhone still the same sound as the Mojo.  don't know what to do already got into this hobby.  like to know if there is any other headphone that can pair well with the Mojo and not give a harsh sound.  Thanks.

I don't find Sines harsh.
Are you sure it is not the problem of the content quality or this particular piece of Sines?
Do you listen to mp3, flac or alac?
Did you buy it new or used?

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #2,904 of 4,783

I don't find Sines harsh.
Are you sure it is not the problem of the content quality or this particular piece of Sines?
Do you listen to mp3, flac or alac?
Did you buy it new or used?

Thanks for your reply.  Im listen to AIFF files and also 24 bit files.  I got this brand new.  Not sure what the problem but do want a pair that sounds relaxed.  Maybe i will go to the shop and try their demo one again.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #2,905 of 4,783
Thanks for your reply.  Im listen to AIFF files and also 24 bit files.  I got this brand new.  Not sure what the problem but do want a pair that sounds relaxed.  Maybe i will go to the shop and try their demo one again.

A lot of electronic music is badly mixed especially in the higher frequencies. When I got my hd800s', I thought they were faulty because some hip hop tracks in a playlist sounded badly distorted but guess what? They are badly mixed and distorted.
Changing the pads on the sines to the brainwavz angled really opens the top end and I find it harsh on some electronically produced music but it's not the sines. After reading these posts this morning I put a piece of toilet paper in the cups and it did smooth out a very harsh rap track in a very good way.
Maybe that's worth experimenting with...

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #2,906 of 4,783
A lot of electronic music is badly mixed especially in the higher frequencies. When I got my hd800s', I thought they were faulty because some hip hop tracks in a playlist sounded badly distorted but guess what? They are badly mixed and distorted.
Changing the pads on the sines to the brainwavz angled really opens the top end and I find it harsh on some electronically produced music but it's not the sines. After reading these posts this morning I put a piece of toilet paper in the cups and it did smooth out a very harsh rap track in a very good way.

Sines are not harsh but are not relaxed either.
If you want mobile relaxed closed cans I think you should try DENON AH-MM400.

Dec 1, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #2,907 of 4,783

It's not that a lot of electronic tracks are badly mixed, although some are - in the same vein that a lot of other music from different genres is badly mixed. it's because they've been appropriately mixed for the environment they're going to be used in - the club. Also bear in mind that a lot of electronic tracks have specific tracks that are deliberately distorted as an effect.

Also the HD800 would not be my first choice for hip hop. It's a marvellous headphone, but rather clinical in it's delivery, which means you'll get the sound warts and all. So where the HD800 makes the distortion difficult to listen to, a distorted track played on a club system may well sound warmer & more engaging to listen to.

With mixing and mastering it's often about playing to your intended audience, and not necessarily about absolute sound quality.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #2,908 of 4,783
It's not that a lot of electronic tracks are badly mixed, although some are - in the same vein that a lot of other music from different genres is badly mixed. it's because they've been appropriately mixed for the environment they're going to be used in - the club. Also bear in mind that a lot of electronic tracks have specific tracks that are deliberately distorted as an effect.

Also the HD800 would not be my first choice for hip hop. It's a marvellous headphone, but rather clinical in it's delivery, which means you'll get the sound warts and all. So where the HD800 makes the distortion difficult to listen to, a distorted track played on a club system may well sound warmer & more engaging to listen to.

With mixing and mastering it's often about playing to your intended audience, and not necessarily about absolute sound quality.

Hi,  I'm into home audio more and just got into headphones and portable DACs.  when I play them with my sound system it sounds good.  even with my portable B&O bluetooth speakers.  but with headphones its a different ball game.  I also have a sennheiser momentum they sound horrible with the Chord Mojo.  mixing and matching for headphones and portable amps is a bit crazy.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #2,909 of 4,783

Hi,  I'm into home audio more and just got into headphones and portable DACs.  when I play them with my sound system it sounds good.  even with my portable B&O bluetooth speakers.  but with headphones its a different ball game.  I also have a sennheiser momentum they sound horrible with the Chord Mojo.  mixing and matching for headphones and portable amps is a bit crazy.

Why not try eq'ing and tone down the high frequencies. Since you are having trouble with two different headphones, may be the problem is your sensitivity to trebles that get accentuated with headphones that play closer to ears. I don't think its the problem of mixing and matching headphones with amps, specially for mojo which has been used extensively with many different headphones. Using a different amp may show subtle changes in the sound but would not make a big difference in my opinion.

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #2,910 of 4,783

Good points. It's actually the 800s which has more bass. I don't think all electronically produced music is badly mixed/mastered but a lot of it most definitely is and shows up in headphones particularly when they are capable of producing enough detail and extension.
I also use ether c'a although I boost the bass in those. My favorite headphones for non acoustic music have been my he-500'a and I also like my alclair rsm quad ciem's but the sines with the new earpads are recently up there too.
When I mix/master music, I prefer speakers but always check on several headphones as well as car stereos. Most times, the top end is recessed on speakers compared to headphones so it's pushed harder in mixes to compensate.
There's also the sad fact that many people in the business have simply blown out the top frequencies in their hearing and that comes out in the mix.
Club music is meant to be played loudly and most producers/artists don't think about protecting their hearing until it's too late. It even happens in the studio. People are mixing listening to the track over and over again and the volume just keeps going up and up because everyone gets more deaf as the session progresses. They come back to the mix the next day and its got all kinds of problems that weren't heard at the end of the previous night. Ive seen it happen countless times. Conversely, if mixed on headphones, music meant to be played loudly on speakers many times comes out too smooth on top.
Don't even get me started on the dynamic compression aspect...

You're right in that the HD800 (hd800s included) is very analytical and many times not particularly enjoyable but I use them as a tool to clearly hear what's really there, kind of like a microscope.

I find the sines as a portable over ear solution (with new pads) can't be beat. It's not the deepest soundstage but the frequencies are there and can be tuned physically (toilet paper or?) or with eq (cipher).
They are definitely worth working with and kill anything else remotely in their price range imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back