Audeze SINE Series
Jul 8, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #1,786 of 4,783
I'd be so curious to hear other people's rigs using Sine - specifically around volume discussions.

On my Cipher version straight into iPod, I couldn't go past 50% without it getting uncomfortable and painful levels. Usually I'm at 40%.

I use my Sine with a Chord Mojo and I listen on the last volume levels (from the darker blue on-wards).
The Mojo has enough power to drive the Sines to ear bleeding levels :)

Can anyone that owns both the Sine and the Ether Closed tell me he's personal views on the sound and comfort differences and give his opinion on the benefits of the Ether C vs the price difference?

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #1,787 of 4,783

I use my Sine with a Chord Mojo and I listen on the last volume levels (from the darker blue on-wards).
The Mojo has enough power to drive the Sines to ear bleeding levels :)

Can anyone that owns both the Sine and the Ether Closed tell me he's personal views on the sound and comfort differences and give his opinion on the benefits of the Ether C vs the price difference?

Ether C is extremely comfortable, much lighter than it appears, and it's over ear. It's not easily driven and you need external amplification. That's fine with me for long flights and I fly often, but I imagine for daily train rides it would be a hassle. Fiio X7 with amp module 5 works fine for me, also the Mojo, but QP1R is a bit underpowered for me personally although guys on the Ether C thread swear the QP1R is powerful enough. Ether C can be interpreted as very bass light and on flights the bass has disappeared on me. Again however others on the Ether C thread disagree.  lk;                                                                                                                       

Sine is much more portable and easy to drive, but it's on ear; comfort may be an issue and it's been pointed out in this thread, although it's very comfortable to me personally. 

Price difference worth it? It depends on your sound prefs. However, I think the Sine is on par with Ether C as far as soundstage and imagery. This is of course my opinion and guys in the Ether C thread would kill me if I said it there. Sine has more bass. Ether C is thinner sounding. Bass is rolled off but there are people that really love that tuning. 

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #1,788 of 4,783

Ether C is extremely comfortable, much lighter than it appears, and it's over ear. It's not easily driven and you need external amplification. That's fine with me for long flights and I fly often, but I imagine for daily train rides it would be a hassle. Fiio X7 with amp module 5 works fine for me, also the Mojo, but QP1R is a bit underpowered for me personally although guys on the Ether C thread swear the QP1R is powerful enough. Ether C can be interpreted as very bass light and on flights the bass has disappeared on me. Again however others on the Ether C thread disagree.  lk;                                                                                                                       

Sine is much more portable and easy to drive, but it's on ear; comfort may be an issue and it's been pointed out in this thread, although it's very comfortable to me personally. 

Price difference worth it? It depends on your sound prefs. However, I think the Sine is on par with Ether C as far as soundstage and imagery. This is of course my opinion and guys in the Ether C thread would kill me if I said it there. Sine has more bass. Ether C is thinner sounding. Bass is rolled off but there are people that really love that tuning. 

Could you comment on the Nighthawk as well?   (use the same criteria as above).

Bern

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #1,789 of 4,783
Anyone using the Sines with dedicated DAPs like the X5 II, DX80/90 etc? I'd like to know which ones will pair with the Sine the best.

I used DX90, got plenty of volume with room to spare. I think it works nicely, but my experience with other DAP is minimal. :)

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #1,790 of 4,783
I used DX90, got plenty of volume with room to spare. I think it works nicely, but my experience with other DAP is minimal.
smily_headphones1.gif

In a surprising turn of events, I decided to get the Oppo HA-2 instead and retain my phone as the transport. Many people say it pairs well with planars like the Oppo PM series and the Sine isn't that far from the PMs.

Plus I get to avoid having to routinely update my library :v

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #1,791 of 4,783
I never understood comparing a product with another one 3-4x the price.

Jul 9, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #1,792 of 4,783
Sine has something I can't quit put my finger on, it's small but it sounds big, it's on-ear but it's comfy... It doesn't have amazing highs mids or lows but all and all I prefer Sine and iPad Air to my high end setup and full sized headphones.

Sine is fun!

Maybe just maybe , a new toy syndrome...

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #1,794 of 4,783
Sine has something I can't quit put my finger on, it's small but it sounds big, it's on-ear but it's comfy... It doesn't have amazing highs mids or lows but all and all I prefer Sine and iPad Air to my high end setup and full sized headphones.

Sine is fun!

That would be musicality, a facet of listening that is often overlooked in the pursuit of the most accurate reproduction.

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #1,795 of 4,783
Because price does not always equal quality - especially in this game. I'll give you an example - Beats.
Do you have perhaps two more examples?

It's a comparison between something that costs more than the most expensive beats (at one point anyway) to something 4x that.

If Beats is your rationale behind the comparison, that isn't a great example. A $300 phone that sounds like a $100 phone isn't the same comparison as seeing if a $1200 phone sounds like a $400 phone.

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #1,796 of 4,783

Sine is fun!

That would be musicality, a facet of listening that is often overlooked in the pursuit of the most accurate reproduction.

Bang.

Jul 9, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #1,797 of 4,783
The lows are something special for the hp's size, overall resolution and highs sparkle (with some EQ boost) too. There's some boxyness/resonance in loud, mid-heavy tracks that I haven't been able to dial out yet. Huge metal guitars, mostly.

I'd say these are quite mid-bass and mid-centric straight up. Cutting 3db from 125hz on (Audeze's) EQ app cleans up the lows lots. It almost seems there's more bass, because it's cleaner. For more vocal or guitars presence just bump up the 2k and/or 4k band a bit. 8k brings the cymbals out, but can be too much when on the go.

Tips for equalizing novices:
- try some extreme settings on each band, one at a time, to hear what they actually do
- in the end, very big jumps (boosts especially) usually make stuff sound quite colored
- have a reference - that second preset set flat works very well for me

P.S. This is obviously for the Cipher cable owners - but same applies to other EQs too.

Jul 9, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #1,799 of 4,783

Ether C is thinner sounding. Bass is rolled off but there are people that really love that tuning. 

I like to call those people wrong :) 

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #1,800 of 4,783
Damn sound is so good that I don't want to take Sine offfff, but after 2 hours ears start to hurt....
Since I am used to long sessions it's kind of a problem. If only Sine was made as Over the ear headphone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back