Audeze SINE Series
May 8, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #1,066 of 4,783
Edition S is next on my hit list. I listened to them at Axpona and was extremely impressed.....I wouldn't say they were better than my Sines because I didn't compare them long enough, but they were damn close, and the option to change them to open cans while also being half the price make it a no brainer for me

One Head-fier mentioned that they felt there was no real audible difference between open/closed for the Hifiman Ed S, but I might be misremembering, and I also don't remember if that was a prototype or final version.  If it turns out it really can be a closed/open convertible portable can, just for the novelty of it I'd like to pick it up.  Then again, I know the Sine is reviewing quite well, which leads me to believe if I run across one on the used forums, my ability to resist buying probably won't hold up.

May 8, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #1,068 of 4,783
Tyll actually liked the Beats Solo 2, haven't checked if he's had similar experiences with other Beats cans.

I wasn't that disappointed when I heard the Beat Solo 2 myself (I expected much worse with all the Beats hate). And this was before Tyll and others positively endorsed them. 

May 8, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #1,069 of 4,783
I wasn't that disappointed when I heard the Beat Solo 2 myself (I expected much worse with all the Beats hate). And this was before Tyll and others positively endorsed them. 

I wasn't disappointed either but I did feel that there were better similarly priced options.

May 8, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #1,072 of 4,783
Hello Everyone,

Summary :

For $500 , If they are comfortable on your ears, then you cannot go wrong with Sine.

Details:

A longtime user of this site but never posted much,

I am not an audiophile but I love high quality audio.
I am mostly an iem/portable user - Coming from FLC 8s, Pinnacle P1  and Bowers P7.

I got the Audeze Sine yesterday and they are simply amazing.
I have paired the Sine with Creative E5 - > Works really well.

The sound quality for the price point is amazing.
The bass is the best part.  I love tight and controlled bass, not the boomy one that bleeds all over.
The audeze bass slam is really fun and I found myself moving to a lot of the tracks.
I love tracks with female vocals and these shine on those as well.

So far I have listened to a lot of genres, and the Sine sound spectacular in all of them. Only when listening to Orchestra/Classical music did I feel that the sound stage was narrow.

Previously I auditioned the Oppo PM3 and found them a bit lifeless. Hard to explain it but it was nice and analytical but the vocals were not intimate and it lacks the impact of the sine.

For me, I vastly preferred Sine over the PM3.

Comparing it to P7, the audio quality of Sine is much more detailed and clear. The mids in P7 seemed recessed to me, not so in Sine.

After a long time, I have bought something that brings a huge smile to my face when I listen to them.

Negatives :

Because they are on ear, they are quite uncomfortable to wear.  Previously I had the VModa M80   (didn't like the sound of those  - too bassy) which were much more comfortable on my head.

Even though I love the sound, I think I might return these due to the comfort issues.

Can you guys recommend a closed back over ear model with similar sound quality ?

I am looking at the EL-8 closed back, but I am hesitant on spending an additional $200 on those ?
Are they an upgrade in sound quality compared to Sine?

May 8, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #1,074 of 4,783
Cipher vs Mojo:

I have a great setup for home, so I've been trying to build a great portable setup, particularly for travel. I've had the Sines for two weeks, and have recently been comparing them with the cipher cable and with the Chord Mojo. The Sines are great in each of these configurations. The Mojos win for SQ with greater presence in the lows, mids and highs (more of the "you are there" feeling. But the Cipher was not far behind.

My source was an iPhone 6 running DSD with the Onkyo HF player app, and Tidal HiFi.

So my objective was to decide what would be the best setup for travel and portable use, and what the trade offs were. For me, the winner is the Cipher cable because the trade offs in SQ are offset by not having to haul the Mojo "brick" and cabling along with me. The iPhone/Mojo combo is just too cumbersome for portable use for me.

So, the question is: do I sell my Mojo? The answer right now is no; I will treat it as a "transportable" unit and tuck it into the corner of my suitcase for use at my destination. A good solution for me.

May 8, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,075 of 4,783
o: so the JAS logo on it is no joke.
The sound is most likely good

The sound is really good. I almost feel strange saying that.

May 8, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #1,076 of 4,783
Cipher vs Mojo:

I have a great setup for home, so I've been trying to build a great portable setup, particularly for travel. I've had the Sines for two weeks, and have recently been comparing them with the cipher cable and with the Chord Mojo. The Sines are great in each of these configurations. The Mojos win for SQ with greater presence in the lows, mids and highs (more of the "you are there" feeling. But the Cipher was not far behind.

My source was an iPhone 6 running DSD with the Onkyo HF player app, and Tidal HiFi.

So my objective was to decide what would be the best setup for travel and portable use, and what the trade offs were. For me, the winner is the Cipher cable because the trade offs in SQ are offset by not having to haul the Mojo "brick" and cabling along with me. The iPhone/Mojo combo is just too cumbersome for portable use for me.

So, the question is: do I sell my Mojo? The answer right now is no; I will treat it as a "transportable" unit and tuck it into the corner of my suitcase for use at my destination. A good solution for me.

Here is the deal...I had the Mojo. If you look at my profile I focus mainly on finding the best portable setup possible, as opposed to home. I loved the Mojo but it really isn't so portable. I think The SINE checks a lot of boxes, especially if you buy one of the various carry cases mentioned in this thread. I like the AK 1200ii for SQ , but with the SINE it takes a lot of volume. I do not use Apple so the Cipher does not work for me. I am experimenting now to find the portability I like.

May 8, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #1,078 of 4,783
Taking a listen to the Sine's I'm hooked. Without a doubt the Sine's will be my next throw around portable HP.  My Denon MM400's sounds like it accentuates the bass and high's with less clarity with more meat the the Sine's. However the Sine's have wonderful clarity that is very enjoyable. 

For $600 cdn I think they are fantastic. However the clamping force of the Denon MM400's are substantially more comfortable than the Sine's.

May 8, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #1,079 of 4,783
Remember that the clamping force of the SINEs can be adjusted by bending the headband a bit. Audeze says to grab the headband itself when bending, not the ear cups, and apply light pressure. Hope that helps!

May 8, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #1,080 of 4,783
Remember that the clamping force of the SINEs can be adjusted by bending the headband a bit. Audeze says to grab the headband itself when bending, not the ear cups, and apply light pressure. Hope that helps!

That's neat info to apply to when I get mine : D

Also does anyone have pictures of where to put electrical tape on the metal parts of headphones to prevent them from scratching each other? Or is it not an issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back