Audeze SINE Series
May 9, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #1,096 of 4,785
I'm actually glad Audeze made a closed portable on-ear headphone. I'm one of those weird people who cannot stand staying at home. I'm usually at work in office (which requires a closed set of headphones. Everyone in cubicles has IEMs or some sort of closed headphone to not disturb others.) or outside in city abusing power outlets and free wifi.

May 9, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,097 of 4,785

What mod?

I don't think it's fair to compare a "mod" with a stock headphone, do you? And lot of T50rp mods out there cost more than the Sine. If you modded yourself that's great but that's not something everyone is willing to do. But you can also mod the Sine, especially since it has removable ear pads. I just did one that helps the soundstage by pushing the drivers further away from the ears, took less than 5 minutes: 

All I did was stuff some speaker padding under the pads, I'll trim some away to make it neater later. Also, Audeze has plenty of open headphones already, I think they have that area covered.

The mods I made didn't cost more than 10€ (pads) and the fostex costed 60€. Otherwise a bit of cotton, a bit of plasticine and all the rest can be done with a screw and a cutter.
Not sure you will have the same result with a sine modified as you described.
Sines are at 700€ here, so we talk about ten time the price of the fostex + mods. And the fostex is better for me. So I prefer to take that money for a decent dac/amp.
I understand that people like the convenience of a closed back but I'm looking for the best portable SQ. Sound isolation is not important for me, I like to listen in the nature.

May 9, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #1,098 of 4,785

I would say look into the EL-8 Titanium *if* you can deal with the extra weight because they're pretty heavy. Other than that I honestly don't know, and I have over 40 headphones.

I tried the EL and the sound was good but  they were bit heavy for me ..

Also, do the  TH-X00 come close to this? the drop seems to be active now.

May 9, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #1,099 of 4,785
  The mods I made didn't cost more than 10€ (pads) and the fostex costed 60€. Otherwise a bit of cotton, a bit of plasticine and all the rest can be done with a screw and a cutter.
Not sure you will have the same result with a sine modified as you described.
Sines are at 700€ here, so we talk about ten time the price of the fostex + mods. And the fostex is better for me. So I prefer to take that money for a decent dac/amp.
I understand that people like the convenience of a closed back but I'm looking for the best portable SQ. Sound isolation is not important for me, I like to listen in the nature.

Too much work and research!
Too bad the T50 RP is not available anymore but if you want to do the work get the T50RP mkiii for about 150 euros, maybe that will sound even better than the original T50. 

I personally think a properly burned in Sine sounds wayyyyyy better than the T50RP and I even like it better than my Alpha Dog mod, which cost more than the Sine. Or if you like open sound try the Hifiman Edition S, I'm listening to it now and it's great, although I still love the Sine better. You can take off the backs and turn it into an open headphone.

May 9, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,100 of 4,785
I dont think there are too many "high end" portable headphones out there. So if you want better sound(for your taste) then you will have to go for full size headphones. Check Fidelio X2s, Senns 600 or 650 or even 800s. Also Mr. Speakers Ether, Ether-C. But for truly portable open Back not too many options maybe some Grados.

May 9, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #1,101 of 4,785
Sine v Edition S ...which one wins in comfort?

Hearing all these great things about Sine but everybody seems lukewarm or have reservations about the comfort. If the S is more comfortable I would forego some advantage in sound and save $200 too.

May 9, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #1,102 of 4,785
I dont think there are too many "high end" portable headphones out there. So if you want better sound(for your taste) then you will have to go for full size headphones. Check Fidelio X2s, Senns 600 or 650 or even 800s. Also Mr. Speakers Ether, Ether-C. But for truly portable open Back not too many options maybe some Grados.

You're right and Open back by definition isn't really portable because of leakage and isolation issues, if I wasn't worried about leakage my Audioquest Nighthawks would be my portables of choice, end of story. 

My definition of portable?

1. lightweight
2. Comfortable
3. great leakage/isolation
4. Able to be driven by a smartphone without amplification
5. durable

May 9, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #1,103 of 4,785
Sine v Edition S ...which one wins in comfort?

Hearing all these great things about Sine but everybody seems lukewarm or have reservations about the comfort. If the S is more comfortable I would forego some advantage in sound and save $200 too.

Both are comfortable to me but the Edition S feels a lot lighter. I just got my Edition S today though so sound quality wise right now the Sine is blowing it away. However when I compared the two headphones at Axpona the Edition S sounded slightly better than my brand new Sine that hadn't been burned in yet. 

Anxious to see how they compare when both are burned in

May 9, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #1,104 of 4,785

I have an LCD2 but I not really want to make a walk with it...
So the fostex is fine for me. Indeed an amplification is necessary but it's not a problem for me.

May 9, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #1,106 of 4,785
The Ultrasone edition M possibly, but how many have actually heard them?

Not much actually, had M100 for the last two years and Sine is my second headphone . The M100 headband broke so ordered Sine hoping that i would return them if i dont like them .

Though i kept them as I really like how they sound ,want a Over ear for a more comfortable experience. Tried the LCD series at the local store ,if it wasnt for the 500gm+ weight i would have considered buying the LCD2  or atleast the El8's  

How close the hifimans sound is comparable to the Audeze's? 

May 10, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #1,108 of 4,785
  How close the hifimans sound is comparable to the Audeze's? 

Edition S has more treble and less bass than the Sine. Sine more easy to drive. Sine has more clarity and tighter bass, even though the overall sound has more weight. Sine has better soundstage when both are closed, but Edition S has removable covers that make it an open headphone and when you do that, the Edition S has the better soundstage. 

This is with the Hifiman having only about 10 hours of burn in, the version I heard at Axpona sounded a lot better. Also, the one I bought has a very buggy cable so I'm about to deal with Hifiman customer service, wish me luck.

May 10, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #1,109 of 4,785
I'm actually glad Audeze made a closed portable on-ear headphone. I'm one of those weird people who cannot stand staying at home. I'm usually at work in office (which requires a closed set of headphones. Everyone in cubicles has IEMs or some sort of closed headphone to not disturb others.) or outside in city abusing power outlets and free wifi.

Me too I have dedicated most of my critical listening to finding the best possible portable setups. I think it is easy to find great sound in your quiet home but it is challenging to find something that checks all of your boxes in different environments.

May 10, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #1,110 of 4,785
  Work fine on the plane - have done it a number of times myself already. 

If you are going to be traveling with them probably better to be safe then sorry regarding the case. I've ordered the case from Amazon that was recommended earlier, as it will likely protect the SINEs better than the soft pouch they come in. 

http://www.amazon.com/MDR-XB950AP-MDR-XB950BT-MDR-ZX750BN-Around-Ear-headphones/dp/B00U3QPJZW?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Cheers 

How's that case working out for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back