Audeze SINE Series
Mar 15, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #286 of 4,783
Anyone try the Sine with the Oppo HA2? Considering getting that amp and was wondering how they perform with each other

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #287 of 4,783
Anyone try the Sine with the Oppo HA2? Considering getting that amp and was wondering how they perform with each other

Haven't tried it with the HA2, but it rocks with the Chord Mojo. Have to say the Mojo works well with pretty much everything, and I have to agree with Jude on his thoughts on this little wonder. Cheers 

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #288 of 4,783
  little update, after 24 hours burn in the bass seems to have settled down and is much less boomy sounds better overall as well, i found the word i was looking for to describe the sound the Sine seems energetic and the PM3 clinical, both have there good points but i just had a half hour listening and it was very nice and fun to listen too ive gone from not sure to Yes, a definate yes 

Yeah, that's more of the Audeze sound - fun and engaging (some say a bit dark) but clearly not clinical or neutral. Enjoy!

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #290 of 4,783

I'm just speculating here, so feel free to ignore me, but based on what I'm reading about the Sine, sonically it sounds quite similar to the PM3. If that was the case, the PM3 and HA2 are supposed to have amazing synergy so logically the HA2 should do well with the Sine. Not to mention the Sine sounds like a very easy to drive headphone so at least you can be guaranteed of enough power.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #291 of 4,783
I'm just speculating here, so feel free to ignore me, but based on what I'm reading about the Sine, sonically it sounds quite similar to the PM3. If that was the case, the PM3 and HA2 are supposed to have amazing synergy so logically the HA2 should do well with the Sine. Not to mention the Sine sounds like a very easy to drive headphone so at least you can be guaranteed of enough power.

I'd take the Sine over the PM3 any day purely for enjoyment factor. I was considering the HA2 mainly for ergonomics to go with my smartphone but the Mojo for a bit more sounds like a more desirable option

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #292 of 4,783
I'd take the Sine over the PM3 any day purely for enjoyment factor. I was considering the HA2 mainly for ergonomics to go with my smartphone but the Mojo for a bit more sounds like a more desirable option

Listening to my SINE's through my Mojo right now on the train and enjoying them quite a lot! Good pairing IMO. Cheers 

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #293 of 4,783

Do you have the Sine already? Based on what I'm reading, not hearing, the Sine does not sound that much different than the PM3. Is your experience that they really differ that much? I owned a PM3 and from what I read from those who have, or have heard the Sine, they are similar more than they are different.

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #294 of 4,783
Do you have the Sine already? Based on what I'm reading, not hearing, the Sine does not sound that much different than the PM3. Is your experience that they really differ that much? I owned a PM3 and from what I read from those who have, or have heard the Sine, they are similar more than they are different.

I have both the Sine and the PM3. They are similar in that they share planar sound characteristics obviously but when it comes down to it I thoroughly enjoy the full, engaging energy of the Sines a lot more. The PM3 to me sounds a little duller and 'boring' in comparison and that's even with a 3 bill Norne pure silver occ litz cable attached. I bought a silver+gold PlusSound aftermarket cable for the Sines to add some finishing touches to its sound, coming in 8 weeks

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #295 of 4,783
Ordered mine, they look too sexy to pass up. :xf_eek:

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #296 of 4,783
I have both the Sine and the PM3. They are similar in that they share planar sound characteristics obviously but when it comes down to it I thoroughly enjoy the full, engaging energy of the Sines a lot more. The PM3 to me sounds a little duller and 'boring' in comparison and that's even with a 3 bill Norne pure silver occ litz cable attached. I bought a silver+gold PlusSound aftermarket cable for the Sines to add some finishing touches to its sound, coming in 8 weeks

Custom cables, tell me more

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #297 of 4,783
Early impressions:

Pros

- Construction: This Sine is incredibly well-designed and manufactured. With a few seconds of adjustment, they sit perfectly on my head. More clamping force than the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear (1st gen) but less than the Beyerdynamic DT1350 or V-MODA M-100. In other words, if you bend over and something tugs on the cable, the Sine might fall off your head. However, while walking, they stay snug and comfortable. For me, they don't require readjustment as I'm moving around. When I first picked the Sine up, I noticed they have a nice amount of weight to them (for an on-ear) - not enough to feel "heavy," but enough to convey durability and sturdiness. I'm not afraid to take them out and about. This is a truly portable headphone. The pads are soft, removable, and shaped in such a way that they lie on my ears perfectly. I can't stress this enough, the design and build of the Sine is superb.
- Looks: The leather on the outside of the earcup catches the light in an amazing way. The leather has a slight texture to it, giving the Sine a really high-end look. The dark metal that makes up the hinge matches perfectly with the leather. The subtle branding is a big plus for me. I think any other company would stamp their logo boldly on the outside of the earcup of this design. The fact that Audeze lets the leather speak for itself makes for an incredibly refined look.
- Sound: Don't want to go too in depth here yet, but at first blush these sound wonderful. Bass emphasis? Maybe, but not enough to bleed into the mids or anything. People are saying the Sine doesn't sound neutral. I would say it sounds neutral for the most part, but adds excitement with beautifully present and detailed bass and an addicting and unique treble signature. The treble is neither rolled off nor sibilant. The Sine's sound signature is very detailed to my ears. I actually like this, but these are not forgiving of poorly recorded tracks. If there's tape hiss, you'll hear it. Sometimes I feel like little details (the clicking of a guitar pick being dragged across the strings) are brought out to a degree I don't appreciate. For the most part, though, the detail brings me deeper into the recordings. It sounds excellent through both my Schiit stack (Modi 2U + Asgard 2) and my Fiio E18. Surprisingly, it also sounds really nice, sweet, and moderately detailed right out of my Galaxy Note 5. It isolates well, to boot.

Cons

- Sound stage: While instrument separation is quite good, the sound stage has very minimal depth. But hey, it's a closed-back on-ear.
- Pad crunch: My left ear pad makes a crunching noise when I put the Sine on my head at first. I never hear it when music plays, only when I take the headphone on and off. Oh well, at least they're replaceable.
- Stock cable termination: I'm worried that the stock cable may start to fray at the device end. The termination is straight rather than bent and quite long. When jammed in a pocket while coming out of a phone or DAP, I could see it start to give after a few years. Again, it's replaceable, so not a huge issue. 

Overall
The Audeze Sine has made a great first impression on me. I can see myself using these for years and years to come. Its the rare headphone that doesn't just sound great, it looks and feels great too. If you're willing to trade sound stage for true portability, definitely give them a listen.

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #298 of 4,783
@DangerToast

I am very happy to read your early impressions - looks like I finally found headphones I could use for years.

Can you please elaborate a bit on a cable ? I see standard 3,5 mm on the other end, but what (or how ?) is it connected to headphones ?
Are there 2,5 mm jacks ? Do you think some custom cable could be later considered ?

Thank you for your answers,
Bobi

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #299 of 4,783
Received mine today as well. Sadly the sound doesn't impress me much. Also driven by a Mojo. I personally prefer my Sony MDR-7520 to these, and what I consider neutral.
The SINE are definitely high resolving, just not engaging enough for my taste. Even if the 2 headphones cost the same, I would still prefer the Sony's, and since they're not, I cannot justify the $450. Build quality is great, comfort however isn't so great (for me). They are on-ear for my "normal" ears, but comfort wise the Denon MM400s are much more pleasant and are somewhat on ear as well. Isolation is ok. I am sure they would sound better with some break in, but I did not find them bassy or punchy at all. If these are more exciting than the PM-3, then I should definitely stay away from those.
Not sure if this helps anyone in any way, but there it is.

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #300 of 4,783
  @DangerToast

I am very happy to read your early impressions - looks like I finally found headphones I could use for years.

Can you please elaborate a bit on a cable ? I see standard 3,5 mm on the other end, but what (or how ?) is it connected to headphones ?
Are there 2,5 mm jacks ? Do you think some custom cable could be later considered ?

Thank you for your answers,
Bobi

No problem, glad I can be helpful! Two curved, proprietary, 3.5 mm jacks go into the headphones themselves and the termination is a standard 3.5 mm jack (a 1/4 inch adapter comes with it). I haven't seen this design before as far as the entry into the cups. So it might be a while before aftermarket cables hit the scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back