Audeze SINE Series
Mar 17, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #316 of 4,783
so after 70 hours or so burn in I gave the Sine its real proper normal listening for me anyway this was an hour out walking while on my lunch break.  They sound good and haven't really changed that much from the first listen after 24 hours.  im now in a quandary do I keep them or not as I only need one pair of headphones.  I have 14 days to test and send back.

The Sine to me do not sound any better or worse than the PM3 just different which is a really good thing I miss the clarity of the PM3 but like the kick the Sine provides and vice versa when using PM3.  I prefer the over ear PM3 but on ear does not seem to bother me build quality for both is excellent although Audeze missed a trick not including a hard case for a portable can with just a pouch.

The compact size of the Sine is a lot better, I could wear them in the office and not feel uncomfortable something I couldn't do with PM3.

The real pain in the Sine is the cable, double ended shouldn't be used on a portable anymore, although does this mean they could be used with a balanced source should a custom cable be made?

Im really not sure here.  It would be easy if I was gaining or loosing something but im not, not to my ears anyway.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #317 of 4,783
I don't think headphones with lightning cable make sense for portable use. Cipher cable looks bulky and uncomfortable, I wouldn't want to carry it around. Wireless headphones make more sense for use with iPhone 7 (which probably won't have a 3.5mm headphone jack) in my opinion. Sine Wireless would have been better.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #318 of 4,783
Take the next step Audeze, offer a Bluetooth version. There are several high quality Bluetooth headphones in this price range so the market would be receptive. I will guarantee I would have bought the Sine instantly if it had been Bluetooth, no hesitation. I may never buy another wired portable headphone again and I would love to try the Audeze sound.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #319 of 4,783
  Take the next step Audeze, offer a Bluetooth version. There are several high quality Bluetooth headphones in this price range so the market would be receptive. I will guarantee I would have bought the Sine instantly if it had been Bluetooth, no hesitation. I may never buy another wired portable headphone again and I would love to try the Audeze sound.

Good point and I would not be surprised if they were working on it currently. Cheers 

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #321 of 4,783
  Good point and I would not be surprised if they were working on it currently. Cheers 

Hope so, although I'm very happy with the B&O H7, Divine, and the ATH WS99BT. Still, a Sine in Bluetooth would be a no-brainer for me.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #322 of 4,783
I have a feeling that they are waiting on all smartphones to have the higher end NI BT connection

They almost all do already, AptX CSR is very, very common. Even my G3 has it.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #324 of 4,783
I was apparently oblivious of this can's existence until I saw this thread, so of course I had to read through it all. I've been strongly considering a closed or semi-closed headphone to replace my UE9000, and hopefully my HE400 as well. For those that have the Sine, do you think this might be a viable option?

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #325 of 4,783
I was apparently oblivious of this can's existence until I saw this thread, so of course I had to read through it all. I've been strongly considering a closed or semi-closed headphone to replace my UE9000, and hopefully my HE400 as well. For those that have the Sine, do you think this might be a viable option?

if you like their sound, no.

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #326 of 4,783

No problem, glad I can be helpful! Two curved, proprietary, 3.5 mm jacks go into the headphones themselves and the termination is a standard 3.5 mm jack (a 1/4 inch adapter comes with it). I haven't seen this design before as far as the entry into the cups. So it might be a while before aftermarket cables hit the scene.

@DangerToast

Thanks for answer ! What do you think about angled connectors terminated to headphones ?

I personally find this as big design mistake, because any accidental pull of the cable in bad way could do some damage, don't you think ?
I am also thinking that this angled design will not help cable to last long, since the material will eventually "get tired", hence my question about aftermarket cables.

Bobi

EDIT: I would be more happy to see locking mechanism used in Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear (push inside and turn).

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #328 of 4,783

@DangerToast

Thanks for answer ! What do you think about angled connectors terminated to headphones ?

I personally find this as big design mistake, because any accidental pull of the cable in bad way could do some damage, don't you think ?
I am also thinking that this angled design will not help cable to last long, since the material will eventually "get tired", hence my question about aftermarket cables.

Bobi

EDIT: I would be more happy to see locking mechanism used in Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear (push inside and turn).

I don't think accidentally pulling out one of the mono plugs will damage the headphone. Overall the Sine is very well designed and built and can likely withstand some wear without being damaged. The included cable seems really sturdy as well. I just think it was an... interesting design choice to make the insertions angled like they are.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #329 of 4,783
I don't think accidentally pulling out one of the mono plugs will damage the headphone. Overall the Sine is very well designed and built and can likely withstand some wear without being damaged. The included cable seems really sturdy as well. I just think it was an... interesting design choice to make the insertions angled like they are.

Having played with and traveled with the SINEs for a few weeks now I agree that they're really sturdy. The cable design with the extreme angle and shape of the plug looks to make them much less at risk to ever pulling out. Pulling on the cord creates pull in a direction that is largely offset to the direction in which the plugs will come out. In addition there's a beefy square body around the actual plug that takes the stresses, not the 3.5mm plug itself. The angled orientation of the plug also keeps the cord flush to the side of the headphone, so the don't risk getting caught on something and that side force being transferred to the connection point of plug and jack. Clever design mechanically IMO. However, will be hard to make after market cables.

And unless any after market cables use a similar plug, it would seem that just using a long 3.5mm plug would negate all the benefits I mention above. Sure it will work electrically, but the mechanics could be a real issue. Time will tell.

Cheers

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #330 of 4,783
  I've really been thinking of selling my HE-400i for a closed back planar like the Sine or PM3.  Has anyone listen to both the Sine and 400i, and if so does the Sine sound as good, better or worse?  Since I have a window AC unit in my room and that's where I do most of my listening at home closed headphones work much better for me.

I'll be able to make that comparison next week...will compare the SINE, the PM3 and the HE-400i

Users who are viewing this thread

Back