Audeze SINE Series
Jul 7, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #4,621 of 4,783
A lightweight, audiophile, aesthetically designed wired headphone versus a buggy RGB-themed gaming headset? I don't think so.

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #4,622 of 4,783
Oh and last conclusion of DX Vs Avantone Planar. I have listened back and forth for hours. The Avantone Planar overall is the more detailed headphone and transients is very close but the DX has the slight edge. The Avantone Planar being the more pro grade, reference neutral headphone. And with EQ it becomes a detail beast while being smooth and extremely effortless. The DX is the smaller warmer and easy listening headphone, but with eq, clarity gets 100 shots in the arm and becomes a analytical yet dynamic and fun beast. Both amazing headphones for their prices and both punching above the clouds. If there was one I could only keep, it would be hard but I'd choose the Avantone Planar. It's basically a much more mature LCD-X. Does everything the LCD-X does but better. Better soundstage, better imaging, better transients, clarity, better mids and treble, just better everything. The DX in a way though has similarities to the Avantone Planar. Its a more energetic younger brother. While the Avantone Planar is the older more experienced and mature brother haha. Love them both 😁

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #4,623 of 4,783
Oh and last conclusion of DX Vs Avantone Planar. I have listened back and forth for hours. The Avantone Planar overall is the more detailed headphone and transients is very close but the DX has the slight edge. The Avantone Planar being the more pro grade, reference neutral headphone. And with EQ it becomes a detail beast while being smooth and extremely effortless. The DX is the smaller warmer and easy listening headphone, but with eq, clarity gets 100 shots in the arm and becomes a analytical yet dynamic and fun beast. Both amazing headphones for their prices and both punching above the clouds. If there was one I could only keep, it would be hard but I'd choose the Avantone Planar. It's basically a much more mature LCD-X. Does everything the LCD-X does but better. Better soundstage, better imaging, better transients, clarity, better mids and treble, just better everything. The DX in a way though has similarities to the Avantone Planar. Its a more energetic younger brother. While the Avantone Planar is the older more experienced and mature brother haha. Love them both 😁
I have similar impressions with the Avantone and the Sine. I do think the Sine is a bit faster, about as much as my Quad Era-1 equipped with velour pads. The tonality is probably a bit different with the Sine, it's a quite a bit more energetic in the top end. I like the Avantone for its more relaxed sound. I should have the leather pads for the Sine soon and I also ordered another set of perforated pleather pads. We'll how close it can get to the Avantone in terms of tonality.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #4,624 of 4,783
I have similar impressions with the Avantone and the Sine. I do think the Sine is a bit faster, about as much as my Quad Era-1 equipped with velour pads. The tonality is probably a bit different with the Sine, it's a quite a bit more energetic in the top end. I like the Avantone for its more relaxed sound. I should have the leather pads for the Sine soon and I also ordered another set of perforated pleather pads. We'll how close it can get to the Avantone in terms of tonality.
You use no eq with the Avantone aye? I use eq most of the time.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #4,625 of 4,783
You use no eq with the Avantone aye? I use eq most of the time.
Nope, I like the stock sound but I changed the pads, I'm using perforated pleather pads which improve bass response and darken the signature a little bit. There's not much I would change in terms of frequency response.

Jul 8, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #4,626 of 4,783
Nope, I like the stock sound but I changed the pads, I'm using perforated pleather pads which improve bass response and darken the signature a little bit. There's not much I would change in terms of frequency response.
The FR is so close to perfect. If I were to change something, add just add a touch more energy in the low end and treble, maybe 2db in the overall low end and 2 to 3db in the treble. Other than that, it's very close to perfect. But I do love how the Planar sounds with Oratorys eq and my slight tweaks. But with no eq, its still extremely good. Heaps of detail yet so so buttery smooth. I love it 😁❤. Been using the Planars for gaming as well, they are insanely good for gaming too.

Jul 8, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #4,627 of 4,783
The FR is so close to perfect. If I were to change something, add just add a touch more energy in the low end and treble, maybe 2db in the overall low end and 2 to 3db in the treble. Other than that, it's very close to perfect. But I do love how the Planar sounds with Oratorys eq and my slight tweaks. But with no eq, its still extremely good. Heaps of detail yet so so buttery smooth. I love it 😁❤. Been using the Planars for gaming as well, they are insanely good for gaming too.
Yes the Avantone is my benchmark as well lol. I manage to make my FA1 iem sound the same by just decreasing the treble a little bit, and with the Sine it's more complex but I feel like it will be easier to compare with those fullsize leather pads. The potential for a very natural frequency response is definitely there IMO.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #4,628 of 4,783
Yes the Avantone is my benchmark as well lol. I manage to make my FA1 iem sound the same by just decreasing the treble a little bit, and with the Sine it's more complex but I feel like it will be easier to compare with those fullsize leather pads. The potential for a very natural frequency response is definitely there IMO.
Hopefully the earpads workout for you. I do expect you'll hear more air in the high frequencies and a touch more low end but hopefully it retains the mids 😊. From my experience, it did all positives though

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #4,629 of 4,783
So I received my two sets of earpads from AliExpress recently, the full leather ones recommended by @Benaudio and @HardstyleLoco96, and some perforated pleather ones which have the exact same dimensions but use lower quality material.

So far I'm really happy with the full leather ones, they are super comfy and don't change the sound signature too much. They do provide a fuller sound in the low and top end, without turning the Sine into a v-shaped headphone. I have my FA1 iem to compare them to and I would still rate the Sine as a very balanced headphone in comparison. I will do more comparison with my Avantone Planar when I'm back from holidays. Overall it's a great combo, great level of transparency with a smooth/natural sound signature, which is something many headphones can't achieve (my Quad Era-1 can't do that with the stock pads for instance).

On the other hand the perforated earpads don't work so well. They do give a very flat sound signature and even greater level of transparency to the Sine but they also sound a bit bland and lack the vibrancy of the leather ones. I think this kind of fake leather material is harming the natural timbre of the headphone. I'd read about that already but it's the first time I'm able to do a proper comparison between real leather and pleather and the difference is quite obvious. I suspect real leather perforated pads would work very well with this headphone if one can find such pads. But I might be wrong, maybe it's just the perforations which just don't work with this headphone. Anyway they do have this great transparency which I haven't heard with other earpads so it's something worth exploring.

I switched back quickly to the stock pads and I think they are still very good in their own right, delivering a very smooth and natural sound. The main limitation with them is comfort and the fact that they will never really sound like a fullsize headphone.

A picture of my portable setup with the leather pads and thx onyx, I love this combo (but I don't think you need to spend so much on a simple USB dongle)
R0000025-01-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #4,630 of 4,783
So I received my two sets of earpads from AliExpress recently, the full leather ones recommended by @Benaudio and @HardstyleLoco96, and some perforated pleather ones which have the exact same dimensions but use lower quality material.

So far I'm really happy with the full leather ones, they are super comfy and don't change the sound signature too much. They do provide a fuller sound in the low and top end, without turning the Sine into a v-shaped headphone. I have my FA1 iem to compare them to and I would still rate the Sine as a very balanced headphone in comparison. I will do more comparison with my Avantone Planar when I'm back from holidays. Overall it's a great combo, great level of transparency with a smooth/natural sound signature, which is something many headphones can't achieve (my Quad Era-1 can't do that with the stock pads for instance).

On the other hand the perforated earpads don't work so well. They do give a very flat sound signature and even greater level of transparency to the Sine but they also sound a bit bland and lack the vibrancy of the leather ones. I think this kind of fake leather material is harming the natural timbre of the headphone. I'd read about that already but it's the first time I'm able to do a proper comparison between real leather and pleather and the difference is quite obvious. I suspect real leather perforated pads would work very well with this headphone if one can find such pads. But I might be wrong, maybe it's just the perforations which just don't work with this headphone. Anyway they do have this great transparency which I haven't heard with other earpads so it's something worth exploring.

I switched back quickly to the stock pads and I think they are still very good in their own right, delivering a very smooth and natural sound. The main limitation with them is comfort and the fact that they will never really sound like a fullsize headphone.

A picture of my portable setup with the leather pads and thx onyx, I love this combo (but I don't think you need to spend so much on a simple USB dongle)
R0000025-01-01.jpeg
I'm glad you're liking the leather earpads. You may notice dynamics improve a bit aswell. Listen to music with alot of drums and guitar swings that change from left to right to centre. Imaging may also have improved same with soundstage. And for me personally, they make the Sine/DX look better too haha

Jul 15, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #4,631 of 4,783
I'm glad you're liking the leather earpads. You may notice dynamics improve a bit aswell. Listen to music with alot of drums and guitar swings that change from left to right to centre. Imaging may also have improved same with soundstage. And for me personally, they make the Sine/DX look better too haha
Yes I noticed the better imaging, I know it sounds cliché but it's almost like a 3D effect. There's more depth to every sound. On the other hand perforations help opening up the soundstage which is great too.

Totally agree about the look of the Sine with those pads, they look more premium and badass haha :)

Jul 15, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #4,632 of 4,783
Yes I noticed the better imaging, I know it sounds cliché but it's almost like a 3D effect. There's more depth to every sound. On the other hand perforations help opening up the soundstage which is great too.

Totally agree about the look of the Sine with those pads, they look more premium and badass haha :)
Maybe you could try contacting the AliExpress store and ask of they would make perforated version of the earpads. They are pretty open to different ideas. That's how I got many custom cables from AliExpress. Just ask the store 😁. I may even leave a review and quickly shoot a message for perforated pads.

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #4,633 of 4,783
Maybe you could try contacting the AliExpress store and ask of they would make perforated version of the earpads. They are pretty open to different ideas. That's how I got many custom cables from AliExpress. Just ask the store 😁. I may even leave a review and quickly shoot a message for perforated pads.
That's an idea :wink: Or maybe I will just try these pads which look nice (not sure if they will fit though)
https://m.fr.aliexpress.com/i/4000279980956.html

But I don't know if the perforations are needed actually. Yesterday I tried to position the pads a bit lower on my ears and I was pleasantly surprised by the results. I think the resonance/compression I was hearing before was gone and the sound signature became quite a bit darker/smoother. It was a different beast than with the original pads. I can't wait to try it on my desktop amp at home.

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #4,634 of 4,783
That's an idea :wink: Or maybe I will just try these pads which look nice (not sure if they will fit though)
https://m.fr.aliexpress.com/i/4000279980956.html

But I don't know if the perforations are needed actually. Yesterday I tried to position the pads a bit lower on my ears and I was pleasantly surprised by the results. I think the resonance/compression I was hearing before was gone and the sound signature became quite a bit darker/smoother. It was a different beast than with the original pads. I can't wait to try it on my desktop amp at home.
You'll need a whole different fitment with the new pads. I also found positioning needed a little bit of change but its easy to get. Once you have the correct fit, it will improve immensely. And especially with a proper set up, you'll be amazed. I think this may be the WOW time for you. The same thing that happened to me.

Jul 16, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #4,635 of 4,783
You'll need a whole different fitment with the new pads. I also found positioning needed a little bit of change but its easy to get. Once you have the correct fit, it will improve immensely. And especially with a proper set up, you'll be amazed. I think this may be the WOW time for you. The same thing that happened to me.
Yes exactly. I listened to them again today and it's like the whole lower range just came alive. Not that they are suddenly becoming bass monster (I think they actually have a bit of bass roll off) but the whole tonality has switched from being slightly mid-centric with the stock pads, to being relatively more focused on bass and lower mid-range. And yet I can still hear the clear top end. It's the kind of trick a Stax SR-007 can pull out. It's really a great tuning. Doesn't it make the DX a bit too dark for you though?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back