Audeze SINE Series
Jun 23, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #4,606 of 4,783
Just received the SR6BT sheepskin earpads from AliExpress. I must say, I am pleasently surprised by the quality of the earpads. While the fit is secure, it's just a touch loose on the Sine DX. It can be easily rotated, but I do not see them coming off easily unless you pull them off some how. Overall comfort and quality though. 10/10. To give you an idea, I bought some Dekoni Elite Sheepskin earpads for my Focal Elegia a while back when I used to own them. These earpads are more supple and softer, not as big, but damn they are super soft and comfy, the leather feels of extremely high quality and 100% are sheepskin. For $30 plus I paid an extra $30 for the shipping ( AUD ). I am very happy with the quality of the earpads. I could easily pay $120 for the quality from Vesper Audio or Dekoni or some other company. It's a steal for this price. Sound impressions coming soon 😁. Here are some photos, and yes these are THICK. On the page, it says 25mm but also 30mm. So around those numbers, but since it's over ear, the ear will be closer to the driver, if it was an on ear earpad, it would be too thick.

Attachments

• 20210624_103506.jpg
    20210624_103506.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210624_103557.jpg
    20210624_103557.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210624_103908.jpg
    20210624_103908.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210624_103928.jpg
    20210624_103928.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210624_103946.jpg
    20210624_103946.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210624_104018.jpg
    20210624_104018.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210624_104759.jpg
    20210624_104759.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210624_104811.jpg
    20210624_104811.jpg
  • 20210624_104825.jpg
    20210624_104825.jpg
Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #4,607 of 4,783
Quick sound impression.

Used SMSL M500 V2 connected to a SMSL SH-9 with UAPP using Crinacles parameteic eq for the Sine DX.

Test track,
Baby Huey & The Baby Sitters - Hard Times.

Agnes Obel - Riverside

Da Youngstas - Crewz Pop

SR6BT earpads vs stock. Without eq.

Stock sound flat and hazy/muffled. The mids sound honky and thin.
Low end has thump, but sub feels slightly weak. Treble is dark.
Soundstage feels opened but small.
Imaging is pinpoint but slight blury, I hear some merging with instruments.
Drums have no snap.

SR6BT earpads.
Vocals arent as upfront, but much more separation to the mix, so they sound cleaner and clearer same with instruments, no merging and very well separated. Lows have more kick, can feel the sub bass now yet very well balanced. Treble gains a touch more energy but is smoother with heaps more air. Soundstage is wider, more opened, everything feels effortless. I also hear more detail in the whole fr. Overall feels and sounds much smoother.

The mids are the star of the show, they feel so effortless and clarity is on point

With eq, exact same findings. But much more clarity, I am beyond impressed. Haven't compared with my Avantone Planar yet, but this is putting up a damn fight. One thing that is seriously impressing me is the low end texture and detail. It's high up there with the quality of the Avantone Planar, if not better. The low end is addictive, and over high quality here, no mud and insane transients. Also the detail I am hearing is extremely impressive. Very effortless yet smooth. More impressions to come

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #4,608 of 4,783
Quick sound impression.

Used SMSL M500 V2 connected to a SMSL SH-9 with UAPP using Crinacles parameteic eq for the Sine DX.

Test track,

Agnes Obel - Riverside

Da Youngstas - Crewz Pop

Drums have no snap.

SR6BT earpads.
Vocals arent as upfront, but much more separation to the mix, so they sound cleaner and clearer same with instruments, no merging and very well separated. Lows have more kick, can feel the sub bass now yet very well balanced. Treble gains a touch more energy but is smoother with heaps more air. Soundstage is wider, more opened, everything feels effortless. I also hear more detail in the whole fr. Overall feels and sounds much smoother.

The mids are the star of the show, they feel so effortless and clarity is on point

With eq, exact same findings. But much more clarity, I am beyond impressed. Haven't compared with my Avantone Planar yet, but this is putting up a damn fight. One thing that is seriously impressing me is the low end texture and detail. It's high up there with the quality of the Avantone Planar, if not better. The low end is addictive, and over high quality here, no mud and insane transients. Also the detail I am hearing is extremely impressive. Very effortless yet smooth. More impressions to come
This sounds really promising (in line with Benaudio's feedback), especially the comparison with the Avantone. I agree that the transients can be quite amazing with that Sine line. When you say smoother, do you mean it's a brighter headphone in its stock form? I would definitely love a smoother headphone. I think the main culprit with the stock pads is the low end as you mentioned it. It really sounds like they are not isolating properly and losing some low end energy.

Jun 24, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #4,609 of 4,783
Quick sound impression.

Test track,

Agnes Obel - Riverside

Da Youngstas - Crewz Pop

Drums have no snap.

SR6BT earpads.

Told you 😉. These are winners and very cheap, glad you enjoy them.
I also got Vesper sheepskin (on ear), they are very nice also and sound closer to stock. Fit perfectly, are more comfortable than stock but still not as comfortable as over ear from AliExpress (some discomfort after one hour).
ive got the AliExpress ones installed now if that’s any indication, to in hindsight Veaper pads were not necessary, but they will be a nice backup down the line.

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #4,610 of 4,783
This sounds really promising (in line with Benaudio's feedback), especially the comparison with the Avantone. I agree that the transients can be quite amazing with that Sine line. When you say smoother, do you mean it's a brighter headphone in its stock form? I would definitely love a smoother headphone. I think the main culprit with the stock pads is the low end as you mentioned it. It really sounds like they are not isolating properly and losing some low end energy.
By smoother, I don't mean brighter. With the SR6BT earpads theres more air and a touch more energy. But with stock earpads, I hear a few peaks up in the higher frequencies that can be a bit bother some for me. With the SR6BT earpads I don't hear those peaks at all. In a way, it makes the fr more balanced from lows to highs, so peaks and dips become less. But there is more energy up top, but it's smoother. I think the better word is, I hear more extension in the treble without it being peaky or fatiguing 😁👍. Yeah thats the word. Better extension at both ends.

And comparing it more to the Avantone. Soundstage is similar between the two. The DX defs has more low end and its transients is super fast. I hear slightly more detail as well. Mids the DX has the fuller mids but Avatone has more detail. With treble I hear a touch more detail with Avantone as well but DX is damn close. Dynamics though, hands down the DX. These earpads did something and damn, the power and dynamics is LCD level. I would easily take the DX over the LCD-X its that good. The only thing the LCD-X does better is slam in the low end due to the bigger driver. But I always felt smaller drivers to give faster transients and a super pin point imaging. And that is the case for the DX. It's extremely impressive. Imagine a funner sounding Avantone. With Crinacles EQ settings, it really makes the DX shine. Had a chance to compare them to a Oppo PM1. The PM1 had a warmer presentation which I will admit, was very addictive to listen to. You could just sit down and listen to music for hours. But the DX had the addictive snap and energy while being smooth. I heard more clarity, detail, air and soundstage was bigger. Low end had more texture and kick while transients was faster. Mids felt full, lush and on point, while treble has great extension without being fatiguing. Truly an addictive listen. I'm still not sure with detail as the DX in some songs feel more detailed than the Planar, but on other songs, the Planar feels like has more going on in the background. In a way it's kind if like the Ananda and Arya. The Ananda tries to bring all the details forward so it makes music sound very detailed while the Arya is a bit more relaxed but if you listen closely, theres a whole ton of stuff in the background going on. I will say, the DX is heaps of fun to listen to. Dynamics is very close to my Ultrasone Edition 11 and thats a beast. So the DX being a fun, analytical, yet smooth headphone right now is awesome. It's ultra clear, smooth, dynamic and precise. Maybe imaging is the most pin point out of the Avantone and Edition 11. Very very precise

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #4,611 of 4,783
Told you 😉. These are winners and very cheap, glad you enjoy them.
I also got Vesper sheepskin (on ear), they are very nice also and sound closer to stock. Fit perfectly, are more comfortable than stock but still not as comfortable as over ear from AliExpress (some discomfort after one hour).
ive got the AliExpress ones installed now if that’s any indication, to in hindsight Veaper pads were not necessary, but they will be a nice backup down the line.
Very good earpads indeed. Hopefully more people can try them out. And again @Audeze please make a Sine v2 and Sine DX v2. I know you guys can do it, make it over ear and updated tuning. The Sine could have a touch more low end, smoother yet clearer mids, and smoothen up the treble but keep it energetic. The DX, add a touch more low end as well, make the mids clearer and fuller, bring a touch more energy up top. Keep the same build though, build is on point. Only thing I truly think that really needs changing is the earpads and maybe cable. We all know it can be done 😊👍 and it would be a massive hit

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #4,612 of 4,783
This may not interest anyone but been looking at drivers sizes of different Planars. The Audeze Sine/Sine DX while smaller than some Audeze LCD series and some others, it still is a large driver considering the size of the headphone. I always felt smaller Planars sound faster and snappier compared to larger planars. Now, another factor, the cup size of the Sine and DX. Very small and compact. This may impact soundstage yes, but transients is improved and overall reverb is greatly reduced as the drivers are packed nice and tightly, so this means much less room for reverb which is the reason the Sine closed sounds so transparent and snappy while being very pin point. The DX opens this up which helps with soundstage alot and gives it that very pristine and clean sound. Now going back to driver size. The DX is 80×70mm. Smaller than LCD series but now considering the Hifiman Ananda is 80×50mm ... The DX has a bigger driver which is impressive considering the size difference of the Ananda and DX. Same goes with the Hifiman Arya being 65×100mm. It may not mean much, just a little info. I alwayd felt the driver in the DX did not sound small but the earpads is what compressed the sound. My impressions are still not set yet, but after swapping to these new earpads. I can certainly say the DX doesn't sound small anymore. It's sounding like a proper over ear headphone now. And oh my it's GLORIOUS 😁. I havent been able to take them off my head. So that must mean this is something special I'm hearing.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #4,613 of 4,783
So been listening to the DX for a fair amount now and just finished listening to The Fat of The Land by The Prodigy. I dislike saying this all too used phrase. I've heard things that I never heard before... but my my my. The DX truly has wowed me. A album I am extremely familiar with, and I heard some stuff that I never heard before. I thought the Avatone Planar after eq was something special, and it still is. But the DX is something else. Very different but the presentation is something I need to get used to.

Lows. Eq
I can confirm, the Planar has slightly and I mean slightly more low end detail. But transients is faster on the DX, drum hit after drum hit is so snappy and fast and extremely clean while having great dynamics and impact. The Planar is more polite here, still can slam, but the DX has the more satisfying low end. Though the Planar has some insane ability to get heaps of detail from the depths and textures I thought not possible.

Mids. EQ
The Avantone Planar is more neutral on the mids, guitar strums and vocals have this realistic feel to them which is so so so addictive. Heaps of detail and clarity. Some of my most favourite mids. But the DX has something special going on. With the eq I am using. The mids are upfront, extremely clear, intimate and the detail in the mids is just mind blowing. This is an extremely detailed headphone. The separation is impressive. Guitar strums and plucks are fast, snappy and grab you. You can truly feel it. Again like the Sine. You are put into the music and can pick apart every part you want. But the DX just pushes this ability and does it amazingly. Which mids do I prefer? I can't say. The DX and Planar are both so special to me. But the DX are insane with mids. Im still amazed with the detail they can bring out.

Treble. EQ
The Planar has more energy yet being very smooth and not fatiguing to me. Extension though is similar to me. In a way, the Planar is just a touch more exciting but the DX is smoother. When it comes to detail, I think the DX wins here again. There is so much info I am hearing up top while it is done effortlessly. The DX though is a much more intimate sounding headphone overall when compared to the Planar. But it is not claustrophobic. It's still a very opened airy sound.

Soundstage.
Both headphones are very opened sounding with heaps of air. But the Planar is the more wider expansive sounding spreading further left and right, front and back, tall and deep.
The DX is more intimate yet extremely pin point and accurate. It never sounds compressed, but it's very in your face but sounding so opened. It's a strange experience, yet extremely addictive and fun to listen to. But the Planar in those passages where things become quiet and small sounds are thrown in a distance, the Planar gives you that space and feel of being in a outer dimension lost in space. The DX though put you in this world, where you have everything infront of you. But theres so many options it's hard to pick what you want even though you have all of it.

Imaging.
Both headphonee image extremely well, both are very pinpoint. But the Planar spreads that image, while the DX keeps it nice and tight so you can hear every detail thrown at you. Surprisingly the DX can put things far from you though. Its soundstage is wide, the imaging is extremely precise. But it all sounds intimate.

If I had to keep one headphone. It's too difficult for me to choose. If the DX didn't have these new earpads. The choice would be easy. The Planar wins hands down. But these earpads took the DX to a whole new level. And the original asking price of the DX is beyond appropriate. So so worth it. Now being the DX can be had for so much less is just mind blowing. But I can certainly say, I am loving the DX as much as my Avantone Planar. And the Avantone Planar as some may know, I'd take over many headphones costing twice or tripple the price. The DX to get that same saying from me. It means its something special.

Up next to come.
Audeze Sine DX Vs Ultrasone Edition 11

Jun 27, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #4,614 of 4,783
This may not interest anyone but been looking at drivers sizes of different Planars. The Audeze Sine/Sine DX while smaller than some Audeze LCD series and some others, it still is a large driver considering the size of the headphone. I always felt smaller Planars sound faster and snappier compared to larger planars. Now, another factor, the cup size of the Sine and DX. Very small and compact. This may impact soundstage yes, but transients is improved and overall reverb is greatly reduced as the drivers are packed nice and tightly, so this means much less room for reverb which is the reason the Sine closed sounds so transparent and snappy while being very pin point. The DX opens this up which helps with soundstage alot and gives it that very pristine and clean sound. Now going back to driver size. The DX is 80×70mm. Smaller than LCD series but now considering the Hifiman Ananda is 80×50mm ... The DX has a bigger driver which is impressive considering the size difference of the Ananda and DX. Same goes with the Hifiman Arya being 65×100mm. It may not mean much, just a little info. I alwayd felt the driver in the DX did not sound small but the earpads is what compressed the sound. My impressions are still not set yet, but after swapping to these new earpads. I can certainly say the DX doesn't sound small anymore. It's sounding like a proper over ear headphone now. And oh my it's GLORIOUS 😁. I havent been able to take them off my head. So that must mean this is something special I'm hearing.
That's interesting, I didn't realize the drivers size was comparable to fullsize planars. That makes perfect sense then, bigger earpads must deliver a bigger sound overall.

I just ordered those leather earpads for my Sine by the way:blush: They should arrive in a few weeks.

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #4,615 of 4,783
That's interesting, I didn't realize the drivers size was comparable to fullsize planars. That makes perfect sense then, bigger earpads must deliver a bigger sound overall.

I just ordered those leather earpads for my Sine by the way:blush: They should arrive in a few weeks.
Will be waiting for your impressions 😁. Hopefully you like them as much as I do.

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #4,617 of 4,783

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210708-061603_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210708-061603_Instagram.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
Jul 7, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #4,619 of 4,783

So, the sleek, elegant, classy af metal and leather BMW Designworks design has been reimagined as a neon-striped plastic generic gamer headphone with all the DSP trimmings? Bulls**t. I bet the carryover of people who are interested in the SINE to people who are interested in the Penrose is essentially nil, and vice versa. That there is some rank marketeering from the Audeze rep, if you ask me.

Jul 7, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #4,620 of 4,783
Im sorry. 🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮. Excuse me. What is a Penrose.... That will never be a Sine 😡. Nope nope nope, hell no. From luxurious metal and sheep skin to Sh!t plastic and a crap colour way. I bet it will not even sound close to a Sine. Audeze wth are you doing!!! 💀

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back