Audeze SINE Series
Aug 8, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #2,236 of 4,783
Mine chipped too :/ I noticed it yesterday when I was taking them out of the case. I think they hit each other when I walk around or something. Not impressed but too lazy to send it back and get a replacement...

Do it, you are eventually going to sell them used and the condition can effect price for sure. The chip will likely get worse.

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #2,237 of 4,783
Do it, you are eventually going to sell them used and the condition can effect price for sure. The chip will likely get worse.

Not everybody sells eventually. I've never sold anything headphone or audio related, except when I made the flit from the UK to CH, but even then I brought my headphones with me - well one. Sure I've given away headphones, or just basically lost them in the battlefield of life, but I've never sold them.

For me the paint chips are neither here nor there. Although I'll admit that for a $500 headphone it's a somewhat crap. However, it's the functionality that counts for me, and as long as the SINE keeps singing I'll be fine, chips and all.

For some reason I always keep hold of audio gear. I think that it's like a lot of people here, in that I follow the the reviewers, trends, and of course my own hearing and end up buying the next big thing - 'cause I can. However I always keeps the old stuff around for reference. Sometimes things can go full circle, in that an out of production headphone that you bought 20 or 30 years ago suddenly becomes relevant again.

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #2,238 of 4,783
Since I have the hard carry case with velcro pouches and padding, I could probably use spare velcro straps to secure each earcup in place. Should be enough to keep them from making contact on transport.

Aug 8, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #2,239 of 4,783
Not everybody sells eventually. I've never sold anything headphone or audio related, except when I made the flit from the UK to CH, but even then I brought my headphones with me - well one. Sure I've given away headphones, or just basically lost them in the battlefield of life, but I've never sold them.

For me the paint chips are neither here nor there. Although I'll admit that for a $500 headphone it's a somewhat crap. However, it's the functionality that counts for me, and as long as the SINE keeps singing I'll be fine, chips and all.

For some reason I always keep hold of audio gear. I think that it's like a lot of people here, in that I follow the the reviewers, trends, and of course my own hearing and end up buying the next big thing - 'cause I can. However I always keeps the old stuff around for reference. Sometimes things can go full circle, in that an out of production headphone that you bought 20 or 30 years ago suddenly becomes relevant again.

Fair enough, but I do think a great number of us sell gear eventually. I for instance keep nothing longer than a few years, with perhaps the exception of my NAD integrated amp. I like to try new things and I am not so flush with disposable income that I can just keep everything, I need to recycle as much of my funds as possible. I wish it were otherwise.

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #2,240 of 4,783
  What is the leather strap for on the cup with the dings?

for bluetooth dongle.  have to reroute the long cables.  

amazing quality for a less than 20 usd dongle from amazon.   as long as with apt-x.  for low res file, no difference as direct from phone.  but with bit more power.  don't expect the battery life would be long thou.

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #2,241 of 4,783

yes, almost feeling as cheap as toy cast metal cars.  it's exactly the same type of construction.

don't expect it to be made like apple PVD machined aluminium.  actually for the construction of the case/headband alone.  even xiao mi or the pm-3 could beat sine easily.  

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #2,242 of 4,783

yes, almost feeling as cheap as toy cast metal cars.  it's exactly the same type of construction.

don't expect it to be made like apple PVD machined aluminium.  actually for the construction of the case/headband alone.  even xiao mi or the pm-3 could beat sine easily.  

The PM3 was very well made for sure.

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #2,243 of 4,783
  The PM3 was very well made for sure.

i was thinking of pm3 when i was almost paying for the sine.  but the storekeeper shown the pics of the driver of pm3, seems like some coil directly glued to the diaphragm.  thus, at the end, sine, hope that it got a better driver.  

however, it terms of all the externals, say headband, pads etc.  pm3 is of better craftsmanship. 

i guess because of higher labour cost of america than china made pm3.

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #2,244 of 4,783
I have had no problems with the build of my Sines, granted, I take good care of them,(hard case) and care in handling. I paid 2x what I paid for any tablet or phone I have ever had so I see no reason why they would not be handled as such. I have had the PM-3 and I agree they are very well made, but it's hard to tell how well they are made when they are out of sight and sitting on my head, at that point, it's all about how they sound. I just think the sound signature of the Sines is much more lively and fun. Overall better. If the oppo PM-3 were not so flat and plain, I would still have them.

James

Aug 8, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #2,245 of 4,783
... If the oppo PM-3 were not so flat and plain, I would still have them.

James

I suspect with some minor, non-destructive EQing the PM3 could easily have a more lively sound.

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #2,246 of 4,783
I suspect with some minor, non-destructive EQing the PM3 could easily have a more lively sound.

Yea, I had the PM-3 for almost 5 months and eq'd, 3 different portable amps and could just not get the sound I was hoping for. The sound got more lively, but not quite to as nice as what I have been able to find with the Sines. And I am using the regular adapter, hopefully the Cipher cable will give me even more options.

James

Aug 9, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #2,248 of 4,783
Yea, I had the PM-3 for almost 5 months and eq'd, 3 different portable amps and could just not get the sound I was hoping for. The sound got more lively, but not quite to as nice as what I have been able to find with the Sines. And I am using the regular adapter, hopefully the Cipher cable will give me even more options.

James

Cool, you will likely need to defeat your current equalizations once you use the Cipher as it employs DSP already if I'm not mistaken. Glad to hear the Sine got you closer to where you want to go. I say closer as we all know, for many of us, we never actually get there completely, we keep chasing the audio dragon .....

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #2,249 of 4,783
Brainwavz pleather pads were a fail for me. They are much too big for the Sine cups. But I was able to get them to stay in place if careful. But ultimately it killed the sound. Just wonky and odd sounding.

Here are few more updates thoughts now that I've had these for a little longer:

*Isolation is fair at best. I find it difficult for these to give me much improvement than an open set when it comes to blocking sound. They are are just marginally better and on par with something like denon d5k. I can't imagine that they would be very good away from home.

*The Sine likes power. My phone is just a no go when it comes to powering them. Just sounds flat and boring. My fiio x5 is better and serviceable. A desktop like an Asgard 2 is not overkill at all.

*They are more comfortable than I imagined or expected. On ears usually don't work for me, but these are relatively comfortable.

At the end of the day, the sound is there though. The tonal balance is good and the bass is charge without ruining the mids. A lot has been made of the materials. I have no issue here. They look and feel "premium" when I use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back