Audeze Robbed of LCD Series Headphones
Mar 5, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #106 of 260
Saved search on my eBay and will notify if any come on sale.
Regards

p.s. What's the RRP?

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #107 of 260
Just read about this on another site which led me back here, if nothing else the evidence available online certainly makes it look like that if it wasn't an inside job, then the thieves were very skilled and/or smart and may have been targeting you for a while.

The law student in me has to ask though, this was a robbery? Or a burglary & theft? Some other headlines around the Internet are using the word "robbery" but no details are being reported to support that a robbery took place. (Robbery essentially means a theft accomplished through force—but no details on any "force" are reported in any of the accounts that I've read.)

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #109 of 260
Audeze has just posted a serial number checker accessible from their home page at

http://www.audeze.com/verify/consumer-alert

They advise everyone to buy only from authorized dealers with the caution that they will not honor warranties on their products if they were purchased from unauthorized dealers.

This may make stolen goods harder to pass off as legitimate.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #110 of 260
  Audeze has just posted a serial number checker accessible from their home page at

http://www.audeze.com/verify/consumer-alert

They advise everyone to buy only from authorized dealers with the caution that they will not honor warranties on their products if they were purchased from unauthorized dealers.

This may make stolen goods harder to pass off as legitimate.

I also like how they made it a system where you have to enter the SN to check it versus just publishing a list of SN's. Nice touch.

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #111 of 260
  Just read about this on another site which led me back here, if nothing else the evidence available online certainly makes it look like that if it wasn't an inside job, then the thieves were very skilled and/or smart and may have been targeting you for a while.

The law student in me has to ask though, this was a robbery? Or a burglary & theft? Some other headlines around the Internet are using the word "robbery" but no details are being reported to support that a robbery took place. (Robbery essentially means a theft accomplished through force—but no details on any "force" are reported in any of the accounts that I've read.)

Burglary

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #113 of 260
  I also like how they made it a system where you have to enter the SN to check it versus just publishing a list of SN's. Nice touch.

Yep, even better.

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #114 of 260
For those that want to help and think the phones might go overseas hifishark.com watches everybody overseas. Personally I think they will use reverse psychology and try to move them here slowly in the states using the gon, mart, maybe even head-fi, selling them as used at a small discount. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #115 of 260
Reverse psychology? Pfffft.

On an unrelated note, I have 100 pairs of LCD-3s that I got for my birthday recently. I wore each pair once. Selling them at $50 a pop. Any takers?

Seriously though, Jibzilla raises a good point... Right now, I think everybody is looking at Audeze classifieds with healthy suspicion. But what about in six months? Or a year? Hopefully "check the serial number" will become a mantra on this site, appearing in every thread where someone is considering buying a used Audeze, and proof of a clean serial will become a standard part of every Audeze classified...

Personally, I still believe they are out of the country at this point. But you see classifieds from all over the globe on these forums... People are going to need to keep their guards up for years, regardless.

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #116 of 260
  For those that want to help and think the phones might go overseas hifishark.com watches everybody overseas. Personally I think they will use reverse psychology and try to move them here slowly in the states using the gon, mart, maybe even head-fi, selling them as used at a small discount. 

I don't know. Once the first hot headphone is discovered, the scent has been picked up.

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #117 of 260
I find it hard to believe thieves would be so patient but I guess it's a business like anything else.  Most stolen goods are probably not recovered and if you could put these phones away for a while it might be easy to sell a few here and there but this is a lot of phones to be trying to sell.  We still don't know if the assigned value is wholesale or retail do we?  I just don't see someone going to all this trouble just to lay low for months.

If I were Audeze I would immediately come out with a whole line of new names for my models like LCD-3-II or LCD-2-III.  Or do something more obvious than serial numbers.  Might help a little to distinguish pre-theft phones from post-theft.  Of course that messes up the current inventories.  New models would be even better.  The EL-8 is coming at a good time.

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #118 of 260

I don't know. Once the first hot headphone is discovered, the scent has been picked up.

As much as the moderators and people in charge of those sites do a great job to keep us safe there is still only so much they can do. Hate to say it but it is pretty easy to fake feedback and what not and selling used may not throw up such a red flag as selling new. These have got to be the dumbest criminals ever. I know they look smart on the video but anyone who has stolen or had stuff stolen know that stealing legitimate, niche items is incredibly stupid. If Audeze was a pot emporium I could understand but this just reeks of dumbass.

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #119 of 260
  I find it hard to believe thieves would be so patient but I guess it's a business like anything else.  Most stolen goods are probably not recovered and if you could put these phones away for a while it might be easy to sell a few here and there but this is a lot of phones to be trying to sell.  We still don't know if the assigned value is wholesale or retail do we?  I just don't see someone going to all this trouble just to lay low for months.

If I were Audeze I would immediately come out with a whole line of new names for my models like LCD-3-II or LCD-2-III.  Or do something more obvious than serial numbers.  Might help a little to distinguish pre-theft phones from post-theft.  Of course that messes up the current inventories.  New models would be even better.  The EL-8 is coming at a good time.

I find it hard to believe they would be patient either but at the same time I can remember a story my grandpa told me about an issue he was having with a teamster's boss. Something along the lines of "You see that concrete truck? How long do you think I can live off that concrete truck? I have 20 of them." I will give the thieves credit on picking out an expensive headphone, although I think something way more mainstream would have been a much better mark. They could live quite a while off just selling a few and move on to the next phat apartment a month latter. Audeze ought to go to all of their employees houses and look through their garages. I still think these are very local. What happened to koss could not have been more right under their noses.

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #120 of 260

I find it hard to believe they would be patient either but at the same time I can remember a story my grandpa told me about an issue he was having with a teamster's boss. Something along the lines of "You see that concrete truck? How long do you think I can live off that concrete truck? I have 20 of them." I will give the thieves credit on picking out an expensive headphone, although I think something way more mainstream would have been a much better mark. They could live quite a while off just selling a few and move on to the next phat apartment a month latter. Audeze ought to go to all of their employees houses and look through their garages. I still think these are very local. What happened to koss could not have been more right under their noses.

That is a job for the police to undertake if there is enough suspicion on an individual. Audeze would not have the power or right to search an employees home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back