Audeze Robbed of LCD Series Headphones
Mar 3, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #76 of 260
You don't just break into a warehouse, know exactly where to crawl under motion sensors, avoid detection, get past the warehouse door  (cut it perfectly) without tripping the alarm without knowing much about a surrounding area. Either the people behind this are highly skilled and had plans to the security system layout or knew that complex very, very well.

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #77 of 260
First thing that comes to mind, insured?
Second is that it does sound a bit like inside job, but it could be a person that just visited the place a few times as well.
Third part is that the reason I feel this is happening is because headphones are starting to have very high prices (a headphone like LCD-2 has the same price as a decent laptop), so its no wonder that sooner or later they might become the target of something like this (thats why my first question was about insurance).

I do hope the thieves get caught thou.

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #78 of 260
Yeah. I don't think your average criminal knows about Audeze.

Must have been some sort of an inside job or at the very least by an industry insider or on behalf of an industry insider.

Classic point of exchange will be public venues, no details exchanged, the seller will refuse to meet at his house.

Or online sales, shipped overseas.

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #79 of 260
  Yeah. I don't think your average criminal knows about Audeze.

Must have been some sort of an inside job or at the very least by an industry insider or on behalf of an industry insider.

Classic point of exchange will be public venues, no details exchanged, the seller will refuse to meet at his house.

Or online sales, shipped overseas.

Any in-person transaction *should* take place in a public place, I sell a lot locally and it's stupid to meet at anyone's house for many obvious reasons. != theif

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #82 of 260
Hopefully we can have a happy ending to this one with the criminal getting caught, like that TTVJ incident.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #85 of 260
I'm in Southern California. Will be checking Craigslist.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #86 of 260
I checked a couple of different all of Craigslist national aggregators and no new listings.  You don't see a lot of Audeze on Craigslist so these would stick out like a sore thumb.  It's a lot of phones to dispose of even at off the truck prices.  I suspect that there are ethnic mobs that steal stuff and ship it to off-shore black markets.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #87 of 260
i had seen a thing about numbers. the headphones must had been pre-sold, before the heist. a number so low cannot be considered worthy of effort, if the thieves did not knew every single detail already.

also, about the inside job. think about the fact that some of the people who sell these things are truck drivers, or car drivers. so inside can mean a truck driver who works for a truck company. he can dissappear without audeze ever knowing, because no company is keeping trace of truck drivers that are employed at transport companies. 

After the look of the deed, it looks like it was done by begginers, who had enough data to know exactly where to steal, and how the equipment works, but not enough data/knowledge do open the door through computer/key cracking, which is medium difficulty. Also, a pure inside job would steal progressively one per day or so, replacing what was in the box for a while, then carry the thing at once, leaving little to no trace. much cleaner. 

the thieves can be recognized by height/clothes/what can be seen, but i doubt that police are going to to it for audeze.

I live in eastern europe. No trace of any type of data of any kind about audeze things from anyone else but authorised dealers that sold from the beggining of time. I will keep looking. Audiophile folks involved in stealing, is something that i doubt will be seen so easly, i mean, most audiophile are already rich, or collectors. mostly the sold things were pre-sold, within some organization that already was doing bad buisness. 

on the bright side, assurance companies can cover around 80% of the market price of the lost products. i have experience, and if stock assurance was made, around 80% should go to audeze within 60 days. 

also, take notice that due to how it was done, the thieves have to travel all the way with the products. there are plenty of chances of them being caught along the way. If all the securities had not been taken care of one by one, the thieves should be caught very fast when exiting or entering the countries. it is very hard to work your way with entering a country and customs around there.

Also, as i always do, i tried thinking this from what the theves can get from this point of view. 
Think about it.
You know that there was this thing. 
This can either been done to cripple audeze, or cripple the sales from re-sellers. To me, it looks much more of a hate crime, because it cripples more than it steals value. Think about how hard it will be for most buyers to re-sell, this lowers sell numbers for audeze, by a little. 

also, if the number of headphones stolen is 100, it is much more to do a bad thing to someone than it is to make profit

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #88 of 260
Also, people who check craiglist, and ebay. consider this: the thieves knew it was going to happen. they could have been having the bids or the actual thing up for sale for quite a while. it also might be at normal price. 

try to look from the thief point of view. you already know  that you will have to sell around 100 pieces of something niche. you eother open the sale some time before, and refuse to sell before you actually acquire it, or you open the sale much later.

audeze offering serial numbers, might not solve the problem, the thief can have a non-stolen pair and offer that serial number, and when you receive, you notice the stolen serial number, but the seller is nowhere to be seen. 

Ever got a empty box for a too good to be true deal for a thing from ebay? ever caught that seller? even more on craiglist, or selling straight within facebook, or more obscure blogs, or sites in foreign languaces, specially hard to wirte and rare languaces. consider that very few know most asian/afriacn dialects. also it is going to be hard to follow very obscure listings in italian
/most languaces that are not french-spanish-german

sorry, but i read a bunch of detective books. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #89 of 260
Has anyone thought about the idea that they may be taken apart, parted out, and rebranded over time? Maybe there have been some headphones that DIY-ers have opened up and found the same driver as another brand? Does this type of thing happen?

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #90 of 260
Has anyone thought about the idea that they may be taken apart, parted out, and rebranded over time? Maybe there have been some headphones that DIY-ers have opened up and found the same driver as another brand? Does this type of thing happen?

it can totally happen. but the number of stolen is so low, that it would not make that much sense. but it can totally be done. rebranding and selling 100 pieces of something? IMHO it is not worth the risk and work, no matter what. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back