Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Mar 19, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #7,156 of 7,191
I'm in the UK. Hopefully, that isn't the solution. This is already the second pair I've had because of issues with the first pair I had. I googled the issue and there are a lot of people with this problem it seems. I find the idea of wearing a used headset gross, I'd rather just cut my losses and move to a brand that doesn't have this issue.
Might as well move on. I think there's only refurbished units left. I don't think the Maxwell will have that issue though if you want to give the new ones a chance. There's also been some people having parts 3d printed.

Mar 19, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #7,158 of 7,191
My Penrose are still in immaculate condition - just like new. Still have the box and all packaging.

Was going to throw them on eBay now that the Maxwell have arrived, but not sure that I could actually sell them with a clear conscience knowing what fate eventually awaits the unfortunate buyer.
Mine are the same. Moved them to my PC now that I've got Maxwells. Wouldn't sell them to anyone else

Mar 20, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #7,159 of 7,191
Might as well move on. I think there's only refurbished units left. I don't think the Maxwell will have that issue though if you want to give the new ones a chance. There's also been some people having parts 3d printed.
Not sure I trust Audeze with my money for another headset. My experience has been poor. I need my third headset in just a couple of years.

I game daily and need something that is up to that challenge of daily use. I don't want to keep going through a pair every 12 months. Is there anything better at this price point that is more durable?

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #7,160 of 7,191
My Penrose are still in immaculate condition - just like new. Still have the box and all packaging.

Was going to throw them on eBay now that the Maxwell have arrived, but not sure that I could actually sell them with a clear conscience knowing what fate eventually awaits the unfortunate buyer.
Do yours have the modified design that rounds out that corner I've been pointing out is a bad idea to have sharp edges? If so then I'd be happy to buy one of those (to be clear I have one, just making the point that there's a good design and a less good design out there)

Edit with picture showing the "good" one with that sharp angle filled in. If not rounded like this it would otherwise focus stress into that place where some are breaking

Attachments

• PXL_20221104_174833087.jpg
    PXL_20221104_174833087.jpg
    898.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #7,161 of 7,191
Do yours have the modified design that rounds out that corner I've been pointing out is a bad idea to have sharp edges? If so then I'd be happy to buy one of those (to be clear I have one, just making the point that there's a good design and a less good design out there)

Edit with picture showing the "good" one with that sharp angle filled in. If not rounded like this it would otherwise focus stress into that place where some are breaking
AA7A4633-38FD-4EDE-9DAB-B771AF374A0B.jpeg

I’m guessing I got the “less good” one.

The price you pay for being an early adopter I guess.

Mar 21, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #7,162 of 7,191

I’m guessing I got the “less good” one.

The price you pay for being an early adopter I guess.
Maybe worth preemptive addressing it to make up to similar strength of the newer ones..

Google "baking soda and super glue"

If anyone wants me to disassemble that area of my headset temporarily so you can see the shape of the factory - modified pieces so you can try to replicate let me know.

I've not done it on headset clearly but I have repaired my wife's chest/running torch where the bracket holding the torch snapped in two during a fall. It's very strong... Able to withstand the springyness of clamping into the torch.

Here's how I would go about it...
Unscrew the little square facing the joint that has the issue...
Roughen the inside edge of each those corners that have the issue. Scratching with Stanley blade or light touch with a flat file should do.
Mask off areas on the weak area as needed. Especially block area around screw holes, cables, and the outside surfaces.
Apply baking soda within masked area, using the tape to keep the soda away from those more technical and aesthetic bits. Don't use much, just in those corners.
Dab super glue (proper super glue) which rapidly gets absorbed by the baking soda and hardens into a plastic-like substance.
Use round needle file to file interior angle to concave rounded joint... thereby spreading the load on the resulting new joint.
File the square you removed so that corner that would dovetail with the headset band is convex and fits into the newly strengthened joint.
Apply permanent marker to colour the soda+glue mix black/grey.
Screw back together.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #7,163 of 7,191
Not sure I trust Audeze with my money for another headset. My experience has been poor. I need my third headset in just a couple of years.

I game daily and need something that is up to that challenge of daily use. I don't want to keep going through a pair every 12 months. Is there anything better at this price point that is more durable?
That sounds better and is wireless? No. You could look at the Nova Pro Wireless though. They're pretty good and around the same price point. I like mine, and haven't had any issues with it. Don't use them as much anymore because my Maxwells came in. If you want wired, there's probably a bunch of good options. I'm not a wires guy though so maybe someone else can chip in on good wired options.

Mar 21, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #7,164 of 7,191
That sounds better and is wireless? No. You could look at the Nova Pro Wireless though. They're pretty good and around the same price point. I like mine, and haven't had any issues with it. Don't use them as much anymore because my Maxwells came in. If you want wired, there's probably a bunch of good options. I'm not a wires guy though so maybe someone else can chip in on good wired options.
Bluetooth not wireless 😜

Mar 30, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #7,165 of 7,191
Hi, I am using Penrose X for over 2 years. I did not have any issues with them till recently. Few days ago my headset stopped connectint to USB dongle. I checked in different USB ports, on different PCs with different OSes (Linux, PC). I tried everything I could think of, including:

• force rebooting headset (pressing multimode button + mic level wheel + hp level wheel) - did not help;
  • reconnecting dongle to headset using methods described here: https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...ess-Connection-including-pairing-a-new-dongle- - seems to not be working at all, no matter how long I press the Multi-Function Button I can't get headset to say "pairing" (I tried double-pressing/triple-pressing the MF button as well);
I talked to Audeze support, but the stuff they suggested (reflashing old FW) did not help as well. I am still in talks with Audeze, but wanted to know if someone had similiar issue and maybe managed to solve it somehow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back