Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 5, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #6,964 of 7,196
Hi there, sorry if this issue was already covered here - all of a sudden and out of the blue my Penrose PS got struck with the infamous left driver crackle. It is pretty bad, every head-moment, touching the left housing results in "loud" and very annoying crackling.
So right to the point - is there any remedy/repair - maybe other than Chassis/driver change. And if driver change is the only way, any experience what Audezer would charge for that??? I bought the Penrose used, so no warranty plus I'm located in Europe plus local distribution reacts very very slow ...
Interesting side note. As I was pretty unhappy with the comfort of the Penrose (I have an LCD4 and have no issue comfort-wise here) I ordered some after-market-pads from Wicked cushions one day before the crackle-drama. These pads arrived today, are deeper and wider and more solid/stable and solved the comfort-issue for me. Damm!! But more noticeable is the fact that the crackling is now only audible when I touch the left Cup - with normal head-movement there is no crackling audible!?!?

Anyway, thanx for any help
IMG_9296.JPG

Dec 6, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #6,974 of 7,196
The main issue for me is rather weak battery and lack of bass.
I don't want to sound them like bassheads but base is too weak. Dekoni didn't solve it.
But in all other way headphones are great.
If you're loking for boosted bass, Audeze is not going to be that for you by default. We have linear, flat, down to the depths type of bass, where it's all presented evenly. Our powered gaming headsets like the Penrose and Mobius also have EQ/presets where some have more bass than default. In the case of Penrose, you can literally EQ all the bass anyone could ever want. Then of course Roon/Reveal and other EQ programs can enhance the bass of any of our standard headphones.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 6, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #6,975 of 7,196
If you're loking for boosted bass, Audeze is not going to be that for you by default. We have linear, flat, down to the depths type of bass, where it's all presented evenly. Our powered gaming headsets like the Penrose and Mobius also have EQ/presets where some have more bass than default. In the case of Penrose, you can literally EQ all the bass anyone could ever want. Then of course Roon/Reveal and other EQ programs can enhance the bass of any of our standard headphones.
Good to hear. Personally the last thing I want from this next headset is the usual gamer boosted/muddy bass sound. Thought the Penrose nailed it pretty much - maybe just a tad shouty in the upper mids?

Beauty was being able to tweak the eq in the app - provided you weren’t iOS only :wink:

For me, the sound was the area I had least concerns with - it was the one area where the Penrose shone above every other wireless option. Just some other areas needed attention.

Fingers crossed for the 8th!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back