Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Sep 15, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #6,843 of 7,196
Well I have now joined the club with my headphones cracking. This is really disappointing with headphones at this price point.
I have already been in contact with Audeze (who have been replying within a few minutes), but since I am in Australia I have to contact the Australian Dealer. Hopefully there won't be a cost to repair this issue although Audeze has advised me that they expect that there will likely be a cost for repair (even though this is a well known design fault). I will see what the distributor says.

Attachments

• IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    793.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #6,844 of 7,196
Also bought Suede Choice and can say that they are far more convenient then stock one.
But bass is not so good as it looks on manufacture graphs.
As for me they are only lacking support for the the arches

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #6,845 of 7,196
Well I have now joined the club with my headphones cracking. This is really disappointing with headphones at this price point.
I have already been in contact with Audeze (who have been replying within a few minutes), but since I am in Australia I have to contact the Australian Dealer. Hopefully there won't be a cost to repair this issue although Audeze has advised me that they expect that there will likely be a cost for repair (even though this is a well known design fault). I will see what the distributor says.

An update. After Audeze told me to contact the Australian disributor, the Australian distributor has now told me that since these are more than a year old (and they only have a 1 year warranty), there is nothing they can do about it. They said they can't even organise a repair if I were to pay for it (as they don't do repairs themselves and it would need to be sent back to Audeze, which they obviously aren't willing to do).

This is appalling that a pair of headphones like this could break and not be covered even though it is a common issue with them. And there is nothing I can do except BUY a whole new set myself.

Moral of the story - don't purchase these headphones if you are outside the USA.
I have reached out to Audeze again to see if they can do anything, and will update here when I get a response, although it is not looking good at the moment.

IMG_1532.jpg

Sep 16, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #6,847 of 7,196
An update. After Audeze told me to contact the Australian disributor, the Australian distributor has now told me that since these are more than a year old (and they only have a 1 year warranty), there is nothing they can do about it. They said they can't even organise a repair if I were to pay for it (as they don't do repairs themselves and it would need to be sent back to Audeze, which they obviously aren't willing to do).

This is appalling that a pair of headphones like this could break and not be covered even though it is a common issue with them. And there is nothing I can do except BUY a whole new set myself.

Moral of the story - don't purchase these headphones if you are outside the USA.
I have reached out to Audeze again to see if they can do anything, and will update here when I get a response, although it is not looking good at the moment.

IMG_1532.jpg
See if they will do a trade in. My batteries have gone on mine and my warranty is 3 months out. They offer me a trade in with $200 AUD and I could get new ones with new warranty

Sep 16, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #6,848 of 7,196

This crack is different location to the rest.

Where the rest are cracking I can easily see how that would happen...the join where the crack starts on the plastic that holds the cup of the earpiece is not only a sharp crease but is angled back on itself, a big design no-no for things under stress.

But this looks to be something different, is your headset normally adjusted with the edge of the headband at the point where that crack is, or further extended per the picture. what happened? Was this a growing crack or a sudden failure?

Chris

Sep 16, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #6,849 of 7,196
This crack is different location to the rest.

Where the rest are cracking I can easily see how that would happen...the join where the crack starts on the plastic that holds the cup of the earpiece is not only a sharp crease but is angled back on itself, a big design no-no for things under stress.

But this looks to be something different, is your headset normally adjusted with the edge of the headband at the point where that crack is, or further extended per the picture. what happened? Was this a growing crack or a sudden failure?

Chris

Hey, Ah I hadn't noticed the crack location was different. Still crazy that it is all plastic there for the level of headset it is.

I don't know how long it has been happening for. I only just noticed it yesterday, but it must be recent as I can see small cracks in the same location in the outer piece of the plastic band too, which is only a matter of time before the entire left ear cup fails completely (those extra cracks are super hard to see on the headphones themselves so I noticed it first in the image I posted). So there is obviously flex at that point in the bands, perhaps possibly due to where the headphones are adjusted to (I don't change the adjustment on them as I am the only one that uses them).

Anyway, Audeze has forwarded my support ticket to one of their support leads to see what the next steps will be. I am reluctant to purchase another one though with issues of plastic breaking from normal use. But then again, there really isn't anything the same or better out there. So I really don't know...

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #6,850 of 7,196

Hi, Please contact us at support@audeze.com with all the info, that way we can contact them and find a solution for you. Thanks.

Edt; Nvm, I see it's already been done.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 24, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #6,851 of 7,196
I've had the Penrose X since day 1. I've been hoping fw updates would fix my connectivity issues but at this point I feel like giving up.

I play literally 2.5m away from the dongle, and whenever my wife walks between me and the dongle, the audio disconnects, until it says "Connected" again. It's really unbearable and I am honestly unsure what to do :frowning2:

Sep 25, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #6,852 of 7,196
I've had the Penrose X since day 1. I've been hoping fw updates would fix my connectivity issues but at this point I feel like giving up.

I play literally 2.5m away from the dongle, and whenever my wife walks between me and the dongle, the audio disconnects, until it says "Connected" again. It's really unbearable and I am honestly unsure what to do :frowning2:
Almost the same for. At this point I’m completely disappointed and will never buy any Audeze product again. Really tried to like the headphones, cause the sound is so good, but it’s near impossible to do so with constant cracking and disconnects.

Sep 26, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #6,855 of 7,196
Can you elaborate on "Check interference with WiFi" and "Move to wifi5"? I have a WiFi 5 local network, but it's not like the headphones are connected via wifi.
Excuse my poor English.
You should check if your home WiFi is WiFi 5ghz based.
If WiFi 2.4 is the only option then try to change routers channel through web-interface it should help.
Also short USB extender is almost a must

Users who are viewing this thread

Back