Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jul 27, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #6,812 of 7,191
Personally I think function is just as important as sound. No good sounding great if you hate using them. If you do get to a point of wanting to keep the 300R, you could always get them modded. I don't know what country you're in, but here in the UK I've used Custom Cans before for headphone mods (giving Grado headphones detachable cables). The Beyerdynamic cans are frequently modded by people to make cables detachable. In this case you could fit a 3.5mm jack which you can use for a Vmoda. There are also plenty of tutorials online for modding headphones such as the DT770 (I imagine the 300R is wired the same).

This is the extreme of course, but just another potential solution. There's not too many right and wrong answers in the headphone world, lots of opinions, ideas and creativity.
Coincidentally, last night I saw there's a store on Etsy that does this exact service for $85 here in the US. I also figured out I can at least test them out with a 6.35 mm to 3.5mm adapter I received with another pair of cans I'm testing. I believe BD has only one (sold out) sku in their product line that comes with a detachable cord. That is idiotic.

Jul 29, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #6,813 of 7,191
20220729_182427.jpg

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #6,815 of 7,191
Hi. New user and new Penrose owner here. Awesome headset. Sound quality is great, as advertised. And I actually quite like the design and how it feels, despite what I've heard from some reviews. I'm running into a few issues though, particularly in regards to the bluetooth. I was wondering if anyone could help me.

-For starters the input mode seems to reset when you turn it off and doesn't auto-detect, so you have to re-cycle though to what mode you want every time. Really hope this gets addressed in an update.
-More annoyingly though, I'm having major issues connecting to bluetooth while in the "bluetooth and 2.4 wireless simultaneous" mode. Half the time it just does not want to connect to my bluetooth source. Or at least play the audio coming from it. It will be the 2.4 wireless audio only. However when I switch modes to bluetooth only, I will hear the bluetooth audio fine. I have no idea what the issue is there or what the solution is. The only way to seem to get it to work if this happens is to just cycle through modes and turn the headset off and on a couple of times, and it will eventually work. What's the deal here?
-Just as annoying is the volume scroll wheel. I can't seem to adjust the volume of the two sources independently via the "wheel click" method. Clicking the volume wheel does nothing, and the wheel just controls both sources of audio at the same time. Weird thing though is day 1, this did actually work. But it hasn't worked since, oddly.

I'm also running into the dreaded audio delay problem on the Xbox with it. But since this has been a problem with literally 4 different headsets I've used on the Xbox, I've concluded that it's not a headset issue and is just an Xbox wireless issue, that has yet to and will probably never get resolved. I'm just going to have to break down and go with a wired headset for my Xbox, as the other consoles don't have that problem. I literally can't stand any sort of delay, especially if I'm playing a shooter or watching a movie.

Jul 30, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #6,817 of 7,191
Damn, yeah, mine will stick a little and I hear the tug when I pull it off sometimes but not to this extent.

i used to hear that noise you said and because of that i wasnt using it but laptop broke and when they gave it back to me i had to catch up up to date so i left the penrose there for maybe 10 days i think and we are in summer here..... this is a warning for you all ( lol )

Jul 30, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #6,818 of 7,191
Anyone have any ideas for headset that won't charge? I've tried different cables and chargers. The headset charges for about 30 seconds (flashes red) then stops. Anyone else had this issues. I have filled out a support ticket but thought I'd ask here since it's the weekend and I won't hear back for a bit.

Aug 1, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #6,819 of 7,191
Anyone have any ideas for headset that won't charge? I've tried different cables and chargers. The headset charges for about 30 seconds (flashes red) then stops. Anyone else had this issues. I have filled out a support ticket but thought I'd ask here since it's the weekend and I won't hear back for a bit.
Not sure if you've tried this yet, but:

1. Make sure your headset is fully up to date. Yes, firmware can be a factor in charging.
2. Try charging from a mobile/wall charger. We ask you to do this, since a lot of times PC/console USB ports can go bad and not provide enough charging, and may actually DRAIN the battery.
3. Try various usb cables/different usb ports. Some ports can be better than others.

You may need a firmware rollback, which we can walk you through in the support ticket.

As you have already contacted us, if you haven't been helped yet, you will be helped soon.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Aug 1, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #6,820 of 7,191
Suddenly I've got strange behavior of Penrose.
Yesterday I've played ok on Xbox and left them. Today got not working Bluetooth, low level wireless sound and high level noise.

When I'm trying to pair Bluetooth see no headset but TSt device.

On bt+wireless mode Android can find Penrose but cannot pair

I've also tried 3btn reboot

Upd. Another one trying to reboot helped, noise was from sidetone being enabled.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #6,821 of 7,191
Not sure if you've tried this yet, but:

1. Make sure your headset is fully up to date. Yes, firmware can be a factor in charging.
2. Try charging from a mobile/wall charger. We ask you to do this, since a lot of times PC/console USB ports can go bad and not provide enough charging, and may actually DRAIN the battery.
3. Try various usb cables/different usb ports. Some ports can be better than others.

You may need a firmware rollback, which we can walk you through in the support ticket.

As you have already contacted us, if you haven't been helped yet, you will be helped soon.
I only charge with Wall chargers. And again tried multiple and same results with multiple.

I got the flashing red to stay on for 24 hours, booted the Penrose, showed a 94% charge. I got an hour of use before I got low battery notification, and 10 seconds later they died completely. It seems lik le a battery failure at this point I'm sure. I have been on latest firmware since it came out and this is a recent failure, nothing that was tied to installing firmware.

Aug 13, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #6,822 of 7,191
I thought about getting the Penrose. Is the sound the same as the Mobius? I was considering getting it on my PS4. PC usage is a double bonus. But this seems like a problematic headset

Aug 14, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #6,823 of 7,191
I thought about getting the Penrose. Is the sound the same as the Mobius? I was considering getting it on my PS4. PC usage is a double bonus. But this seems like a problematic headset

Didn't have any problems using it between PS4 and PC personally. Didn't experience any of the issues reported here so your milage is likely to vary. Just didn't like how 'closed' it felt for me, but I think if you liked the Mobius you would like the sound. Obviously it's missing the headtracking but that aside they sound similar (I want to say the same but I don't remember well enough).

Aug 22, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #6,825 of 7,191
Hoping this isn't the beginning of the headphone pleather degrading

Honestly with other headphone earpads (not my Penrose yet) falling to bits getting a little cheesed off with manufacturers clearly having chosen materials not suited for use against skin.

Attached photo of a Philips travel headphone after 5 years but only 4 uses. Yes, as in been on my head four times - plane journeys for about one movie, so 3 hours each way.

Makes me worry about my Penrose for work esp as Penrose earpads seem unobtainable

Attachments

• PXL_20220811_140256465.jpg
    PXL_20220811_140256465.jpg
    956.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220811_140244597.jpg
    PXL_20220811_140244597.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back