Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jul 4, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #6,796 of 7,196
Why wouldn’t it? Most likely there’s more interference at my new place, but it’s only Penrose which is having issues. All other wireless headphones I’m using are totally fine.

Which orientation is it? Per tear-down in the FCC website the Penrose dongle has two antenna but looks to me that they're in the two horizontal planes. ("Product - Internal - Page 8 - FCC Penrose
)

I'd imagine if console positioned vertically and dongle aligned to match it could give issues depending on left/right orientation.

Chris

p.s. you might like to download Acrylic Wi-Fi Home (it is free) and see how many 2.4 GHz devices active in your area.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #6,797 of 7,196
@Mad Lust Envy

Do you know which channel does Penrose use or is it a rolling channel depending on usage and other factors? @sloggi and others could then use Acrylic Wi-Fi or similar to scan for other devices potentially overlapping the Penrose.

FCC test signoff suggest full 2.40335-2.47935 GHz range is used. That is to say the bandwidth for all WiFi channels from lowpoint of 1 all the way to the upper frequency for channel 12.

https://fccid.io/2APRZ-PENROSEPTX (playstation)
https://fccid.io/2APRZ-PENROSEXTX (xbox)

Further into the FCC detail the frequencies tested are listed but is a simple test of lowest, highest and midpoint frequency approximating to channel 7.
i.e. the min/max capabilities, not the actual frequency and channel in use in practice.
https://gov.fccid.io/2APRZ-PENROSEPTX

Thank you
Chris

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #6,798 of 7,196
Which orientation is it? Per tear-down in the FCC website the Penrose dongle has two antenna but looks to me that they're in the two horizontal planes. ("Product - Internal - Page 8 - FCC Penrose
)

I'd imagine if console positioned vertically and dongle aligned to match it could give issues depending on left/right orientation.

Chris

p.s. you might like to download Acrylic Wi-Fi Home (it is free) and see how many 2.4 GHz devices active in your area.
I’ve tried a lot of different positions (including a usb extender), but last few weeks it’s been unusable. And I think most of the neighbors use 2,4 + 5 Ghz mixed setups, which could explain the severe connection issues. I’ll check out the app you mentioned, thanks!

Jul 6, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #6,799 of 7,196
@Mad Lust Envy

Do you know which channel does Penrose use or is it a rolling channel depending on usage and other factors? @sloggi and others could then use Acrylic Wi-Fi or similar to scan for other devices potentially overlapping the Penrose.

FCC test signoff suggest full 2.40335-2.47935 GHz range is used. That is to say the bandwidth for all WiFi channels from lowpoint of 1 all the way to the upper frequency for channel 12.

https://fccid.io/2APRZ-PENROSEPTX (playstation)
https://fccid.io/2APRZ-PENROSEXTX (xbox)

Further into the FCC detail the frequencies tested are listed but is a simple test of lowest, highest and midpoint frequency approximating to channel 7.
i.e. the min/max capabilities, not the actual frequency and channel in use in practice.
https://gov.fccid.io/2APRZ-PENROSEPTX

Thank you
Chris
Per @KMann

The dongle changes channel dynamically as you use it. There is no way to lock it to one particular channel.

Bottom line, the wifi hopping logic is proprietary. We have no control over it

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #6,801 of 7,196
Hi everyone,

I am new here on the forum, and decided to post a question here, as I just got the
Audeze Penrose for my PS5 yesterday. I decided to go for it after doing a lot of research and going through many reviews that claim how great the sound is. I’m no audiophile, but I gotta say that there is a certain “cleanliness” when I hear things compared to my old headset (granted that this headset used to sound much better on the PS4, and changes made to the PS5 downgraded its performance substantially — specifically because of the removal of the optical port).

That said, I am having some issues with the mic. I think that in general my voice sounds much better than on my previous mic. Much closer to what I sound like in real life. However, it is always followed by some kind of “static” noise. It is hard for me to describe, but when a friend was talking to me, he described it as if I had the sound of cicadas on the background while I speak.

To validate what he was saying, I made a recording of myself while playing Elden Ring here.

I would say that the “static” noise is pretty obvious, but if not, check the final parts of the video when I increase the gain and also mute the game completely.

Is this the normal behaviour for the mic? I just can’t tell if this is some defect or expected behaviour. The samples I heard online didn’t have this kind of effect. Reducing the gains help but then my voice will sound too low.

Jul 13, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #6,802 of 7,196
Hi everyone,

I am new here on the forum, and decided to post a question here, as I just got the
Audeze Penrose for my PS5 yesterday. I decided to go for it after doing a lot of research and going through many reviews that claim how great the sound is. I’m no audiophile, but I gotta say that there is a certain “cleanliness” when I hear things compared to my old headset (granted that this headset used to sound much better on the PS4, and changes made to the PS5 downgraded its performance substantially — specifically because of the removal of the optical port).

That said, I am having some issues with the mic. I think that in general my voice sounds much better than on my previous mic. Much closer to what I sound like in real life. However, it is always followed by some kind of “static” noise. It is hard for me to describe, but when a friend was talking to me, he described it as if I had the sound of cicadas on the background while I speak.

To validate what he was saying, I made a recording of myself while playing Elden Ring here.

I would say that the “static” noise is pretty obvious, but if not, check the final parts of the video when I increase the gain and also mute the game completely.

Is this the normal behaviour for the mic? I just can’t tell if this is some defect or expected behaviour. The samples I heard online didn’t have this kind of effect. Reducing the gains help but then my voice will sound too low.
Please contact us at support@audeze.com so we can directly assist you.

Before that, please test the microphone through the standard Bluetooth connection (it WILL not sound as good, due to BT limitations, but we want to verify whether the mic itself is having issues, or if it's something else). Also test the mic through the Aux/3.5mm connection (for example, plugging the Penrose into the PS5 controller).

That way we can whittle down whether it's a PS5 issue, a Penrose issue, a usb dongle issue, a mic issue, etc.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jul 13, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #6,803 of 7,196
Hi everyone,

I have a PS5, and I have noticed that if the mic volume is too high on the Penrose, then it will start to bring in static. So what I do is set my mic volume on the Penrose as 2 clicks up from off (I think that makes it around 17% volume or something like that), and then I go into the PS5 Mic settings and adjust the volume from there. It will then sound really good.

Jul 14, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #6,804 of 7,196
Please contact us at support@audeze.com so we can directly assist you.

Before that, please test the microphone through the standard Bluetooth connection (it WILL not sound as good, due to BT limitations, but we want to verify whether the mic itself is having issues, or if it's something else). Also test the mic through the Aux/3.5mm connection (for example, plugging the Penrose into the PS5 controller).

That way we can whittle down whether it's a PS5 issue, a Penrose issue, a usb dongle issue, a mic issue, etc.
I have sent an email yesterday.

I am experiencing issues also on my computer, where there is also noise, and also while using Bluetooth.

When I tested it with the aux cable, however, the microphone sound almost perfect.

Also, not sure if this is related, but whether I turn on or off sidetone, there seems to be no difference. I can never hear my voice anyway — I’m using the PS5 mic options or QuickTime on my Mac to hear how I sound like.

Watching some YouTube videos, I’m having the impression that the circuitry for the headset just causes this static sound to an extent after and while one speaks, but I don’t know to what extent my case is anomalous compared to what I’m hearing online. Only with the aux cable the noise seems to almost completely go away.

Edit: made a new video comparing wireless and aux. With wireless, my voice is always followed by some kind of static. I adjusted the mic gain so as to not have static on the background all the time, but when I speak something is still there. When I use the aux cable, that cleans up, and in fact the mic is instead capturing the real noise I have at my place.
Video here:

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #6,805 of 7,196
I have sent an email yesterday.

I am experiencing issues also on my computer, where there is also noise, and also while using Bluetooth.

When I tested it with the aux cable, however, the microphone sound almost perfect.

Also, not sure if this is related, but whether I turn on or off sidetone, there seems to be no difference. I can never hear my voice anyway — I’m using the PS5 mic options or QuickTime on my Mac to hear how I sound like.

Watching some YouTube videos, I’m having the impression that the circuitry for the headset just causes this static sound to an extent after and while one speaks, but I don’t know to what extent my case is anomalous compared to what I’m hearing online. Only with the aux cable the noise seems to almost completely go away.

Edit: made a new video comparing wireless and aux. With wireless, my voice is always followed by some kind of static. I adjusted the mic gain so as to not have static on the background all the time, but when I speak something is still there. When I use the aux cable, that cleans up, and in fact the mic is instead capturing the real noise I have at my place.
Video here:

Let's continue through the support email. I apologize for the delay in response. Got quite a lot of things on my plate this week, but I'll get to you all day today. We'll have some solution or another.

Jul 23, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #6,806 of 7,196
Hi,

I've been considering a Penrose X for some time now. I've read every post from the past 30 pages and find it encouraging Audeze openly and directly interfaces with its customers.

I play Destiny exclusively, on an Xbox Series X. Spatial awareness and comfort is important to me. I plan to purchase a Penrose X to compare it against two or three other competitive alternatives. I have a Sennheiser PC38x on the way and was considering including the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (DT 770 with a mic) in the challenge as well. I know this is a thread about the Penrose, but if you've moved on from the Penrose I'd like to know what you're using. If you have experience with the MMX 300/PC38x on the XSX I'd love to hear about your experience with those as well.

TIA

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #6,807 of 7,196
Hi,

I've been considering a Penrose X for some time now. I've read every post from the past 30 pages and find it encouraging Audeze openly and directly interfaces with its customers.

I play Destiny exclusively, on an Xbox Series X. Spatial awareness and comfort is important to me. I plan to purchase a Penrose X to compare it against two or three other competitive alternatives. I have a Sennheiser PC38x on the way and was considering including the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (DT 770 with a mic) in the challenge as well. I know this is a thread about the Penrose, but if you've moved on from the Penrose I'd like to know what you're using. If you have experience with the MMX 300/PC38x on the XSX I'd love to hear about your experience with those as well.

TIA
I did this with pc38x. I switched from Mobius to pc38x but Mobius and penrose is almost identical in sound department so I’m assuming soundstage won’t be wider than pc38x as well. For competitive gaming I would recommend pc38x but I have yet to seen a sound quality that Mobius provided to me. It’s just a magnificent sounding headset just like penrose. It’s totally up to you. I think tygr 300r would be a better choice than mmx 300 when it comes down to beyers. However it lacks a microphone and is sold with a separate mic which can be separately connected to your console but it’s definitely not convenient.

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #6,808 of 7,196
I did this with pc38x. I switched from Mobius to pc38x but Mobius and penrose is almost identical in sound department so I’m assuming soundstage won’t be wider than pc38x as well. For competitive gaming I would recommend pc38x but I have yet to seen a sound quality that Mobius provided to me. It’s just a magnificent sounding headset just like penrose. It’s totally up to you. I think tygr 300r would be a better choice than mmx 300 when it comes down to beyers. However it lacks a microphone and is sold with a separate mic which can be separately connected to your console but it’s definitely not convenient.
I'll pick up a Tygr. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #6,809 of 7,196
@mattheturk - I got the 300R to try out. I love the comfort and the fact that it's lightweight, however, I have two issues with it. The 3.5mm jack is threaded near its base to accept the 6.35mm adapter and the threaded area prevents the jack from seating properly in the plug of my controller. I included a photo. There is way too much play in the connection to use it like that. I could probably grind down the threads, but I'm not sure I want to risk ruining the jack. I'm shocked this is designed like this and very disappointed.

The other issue is that the cord is hardwired to the left earcup so that eliminates using a V-moda mic. Plus, if the cord wasn't hardwired I could swap to a cord that doesn't have a threaded 3.5mm jack

Attachments

• PXL_20220727_044606190.jpg
    PXL_20220727_044606190.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #6,810 of 7,196
@mattheturk - I got the 300R to try out. I love the comfort and the fact that it's lightweight, however, I have two issues with it. The 3.5mm jack is threaded near its base to accept the 6.35mm adapter and the threaded area prevents the jack from seating properly in the plug of my controller. I included a photo. There is way too much play in the connection to use it like that. I could probably grind down the threads, but I'm not sure I want to risk ruining the jack. I'm shocked this is designed like this and very disappointed.

The other issue is that the cord is hardwired to the left earcup so that eliminates using a V-moda mic. Plus, if the cord wasn't hardwired I could swap to a cord that doesn't have a threaded 3.5mm jack
Personally I think function is just as important as sound. No good sounding great if you hate using them. If you do get to a point of wanting to keep the 300R, you could always get them modded. I don't know what country you're in, but here in the UK I've used Custom Cans before for headphone mods (giving Grado headphones detachable cables). The Beyerdynamic cans are frequently modded by people to make cables detachable. In this case you could fit a 3.5mm jack which you can use for a Vmoda. There are also plenty of tutorials online for modding headphones such as the DT770 (I imagine the 300R is wired the same).

This is the extreme of course, but just another potential solution. There's not too many right and wrong answers in the headphone world, lots of opinions, ideas and creativity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back