Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
May 31, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #6,751 of 7,191
Do these still have all the crackling and disconnection issues on consoles? I want to get a wireless set for gaming on XsX and Ps5

Jun 3, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #6,753 of 7,191
Yes, they do. Would suggest looking at a different set for wireless gaming.
I went ahead and ordered a steel series. I know as far as audiophile quality goes they're not great but honestly comfort and reliability are far more important to me at this point

Jun 3, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #6,754 of 7,191
New guy, here, so I guess I start small. So I'm considering returning my Arctis Nova Pro Wireless. I've had it for a week and put it through some stuff and stacked it against my Penrose X, and here's why I'm deep in thought.
I'm just wanting a gaming headset, that has Bluetooth support, since I need that to sync up with my laptop for Discord. I'm soley a console player so this is very much necessary to talk to my PC based GF, when we play games together, that support Crossplay. I've had the Penrose for over half a year, as I was on the Arctis Pro Wireless, before that. I switched up because I heard they were godly sounding and they supported Bluetooth. I bit, and got them, worked out a set up and it was alright. What wasn't alright was the occasional connection drops. It wasn't often, very occasional actually. I could go a few sessions without a drop, and have a drop or 2 in the span of 1 session. Still, it was enough be to mildy annoying but I still had a 90% good experience with it. I also modded the cups and headband so it's extra comfortable.
Then the Nova was announced so I grabbed them last Friday and got to setting them up and fiddling. I started with the Smiley preset and played Horizon Forbidden West, and they sounded good, but after 100 hours in that game, I could tell they weren't as good. Just good. Switched to Destiny 2 and that's where it got weird. It did sound alright, but during the final boss fight, in the new Dungeon, the bass bottomed out from all the explosions. That's something my Penrose never did. It was ugly and distracting because it was all the time things got weird. I guess I could try to EQ that out but I do like a lil bass.
So the sound experience was just alright, very passable if I had no other options. Comfort was my next thing and yeah, that stupid ANC nub pokes my ear. I'm not a fan, and it's annoying because I honestly think the feature is just ok, and does seem to degrade the sound when on. Again, my Penrose are modded and broken in so the Novas don't scream "win" at me.
Next was the Bluetooth. I had a hell of time trying to use my phone and Penrose, for Discord, because it just didn't connect right. Tried everything, and it sucked. Ended up using my laptop and that actually worked very well. I already had a USB mic so I just used that and it was fine. Tried the Nova on my phone and it worked fine but I was told I sounded weird. Tried things and nothing. Switched to the laptop setup and it's fine but that's part of my issue. Nothing is really improving with the Nova. It definitely doesn't seem like a total upgrade.
That's where I'm at now. Did I upgrade? I mean, my Penrose are now very comfortable. I have a good gaming setup that the Nova doesn't really improve upon, while the connection is more solid, it also wasn't the worst or even bad. And sure battery life for the Nova, just kills the Penrose, I don't count that because I don't bleed my battery dry and I charge it nightly. It's for a lot of these reasons I'm thinking I don't need the Nova. It's doesn't really offer me enough for my situation. So I guess that's a discussion I'm looking forward to having.
Personally my take is this: if you own the Penrose, if you've modded the Penrose and find if comfortable, if you've found a connection sweet spot and have no or very minor connection issues, don't care much for the ANC, and if you're just in for a pure gaming headset, then I honestly don't see the Nova Wireless as an upgrade. But, that's only if your Penrose is meeting the above pros.

Jun 3, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #6,755 of 7,191
Do these still have all the crackling and disconnection issues on consoles? I want to get a wireless set for gaming on XsX and Ps5
Yes. It's a real shame such a promising headset has been abandoned by @Audeze. They're too busy putting out a new headset every couple of months to support previous headset software for any length of time. We will maybe get one more firmware update, if we're lucky, before being completely abandoned.

I wish @Audeze would license their planar magnetic speakers to Steel Series or another video game focused company. I love the @Audeze sound quality, but hate the software and support being an afterthought. Understandable for a company where video game headsets are just an extra product offering, but still disappointing.

Can 100% say that my next headset will come from a company that solely focuses on video game headsets, though I will miss the @Audeze sound.

Jun 4, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #6,756 of 7,191
Hi all. I had the same connectivity issues with my Logitech keyboard dongle. All solved by using a USB extension cable and moving the dongle to a better location. Logitech includes extension cables with their wireless devices for this reason.

My Ps penrose that I got open box from Adorama for $169 kept dropping connection to my PC until I attached the wireless dongle to a 6ft usb extension cable I had and moved it to a raised position as opposed to being plugged straight into the case. Just arrived today.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #6,757 of 7,191
Hi all. I had the same connectivity issues with my Logitech keyboard dongle. All solved by using a USB extension cable and moving the dongle to a better location. Logitech includes extension cables with their wireless devices for this reason.

My Ps penrose that I got open box from Adorama for $169 kept dropping connection to my PC until I attached the wireless dongle to a 6ft usb extension cable I had and moved it to a raised position as opposed to being plugged straight into the case. Just arrived today.
Huh, that's great but maybe give it a couple of days first before confirming this works

Jun 6, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #6,758 of 7,191
Huh, that's great but maybe give it a couple of days first before confirming this works
It is much improved vs without it. You still have to be somewhat close but it’s workable unlike straight USB

Jun 6, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #6,759 of 7,191
I received the Arctis 7x, as a quick review before I receive my Penrose tomorrow. I got my 7x on sale for about $130

- They are perfect connection wise and for functionality I need. Push the button they're on, audio cuts from speakers and goes to headset. I've had zero drops, no crackling, and maybe a slight hum without audio playing which is no problem. Haven't tried the mic yet as I don't chat much, but I'm sure it'll work just fine for when I play Halo or Sea of thieves

- A little tight at first, put them on the box overnight and stretched them too much. Oops. A little bending of the headband and they fit just fine. I've had several $500+ headphones and they were all from levels of uncomfortable to painful, to straight up hurting my head. I'd consider these one of the comfiest I've worn and I'm sensitive to clamping and hot spots.

- Biggest problem is they just don't sound good. You get a little bit of rumble in the bass but the overall tone is just muddy and a claustrophobic feeling. The timbre is all off, sounds super plasticky. The biggest compliment I can give is that the imaging on them is actually quite good. In Halo I was consistently able to pinpoint enemies pretty much spot on. Not enough details up top and the mids might be a bit too warm

Anyway, curiosity got the best of me and I got an open box Penrose X on Adorama. I'll stretch them out before wearing too often and I'm less than 10 feet from the dongle and maintain line of sight so I assume I should be ok. They'll be here tomorrow and I'll do a comparison after a few days

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #6,760 of 7,191
Man, I gotta give some initial impressions. These things are seriously impressive

Connection and usability: So I'm about 5 to 6 feet away with line of sight to the wireless dongle. These things were easier to get going than the Arctis 7x which required me to download the app and sync. No crackling, no drops, no audible buzzing or interference. Plugged it in, turned it on, I had a working headset.

Comfort: Oh yea these bad boys clamp. I wore them for a bit under an hour and could feel the pressure after I took them off. While wearing them they're quite comfortable, the top of the headband didn't bug me and my ears fit just enough. I have them stretching right now and hopefully that helps. If they don't loosen up I'm not so sure I can keep them as they'll cause headaches and jaw pain

Sound: Cmon now I'm not going to say anything that hasn't been said yet. At first I didn't think they were that much better than Arctis 7x and then I applied an EQ setting I liked and tried some Halo and in AC Origins. These remind me of the Pc38x with better slam and tighter details. Once I got the EQ going they went from decent to thoroughly enjoyable in games and music. Imaging for Halo was really, really good.

I'll spend more time with them but for now they need to stretch. Comfort will be the make it or break it deal

Jun 10, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #6,761 of 7,191
In case you guys are worried about clamp, I literally have my Penrose 'worn' on top of one of my speaker monitors, and they're SUPER loose. So yes, if you keep them stretched over some books, or a pillow or something for prolonged periods, the clamp WILL give out. Obviously, I would be careful on not stretching it well beyond your headsize.

This is not officially endorsed. Just saying, that like most headphones, prolonged stretching will change clamp factors.

16548823465501431552033644010748.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #6,762 of 7,191
I’ve never had many issues with the clamping force (I have a pretty big head). I’ve had two now and both were relatively tight initially but loosen up over time with regular use (I’d almost say my first pair got a little too loosened up, and it had the little hairline cracks).

Something like the Arctis Nova is always tempting. As an overall package it offers a lot, and my Arctis 7X has been a decent headset with OK sound, good battery life, and a rock solid connection. But…but, the Penrose still just sounds so much better. It retains its bass punch and clarity right up to absurd volumes, and you can just tell that the guts of the thing are different than those in the average gaming headset with a 40mm dynamic driver. If Audeze keeps iterating on their gaming kit, I just don’t see how it will be anything close to a contest.

Jun 11, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #6,763 of 7,191
Well, my stay with the Arctis Nova Wireless didn't last - I'm back with some Penrose X :p

The Arctis had all the features and comfort (ANC mic in the cup aside) I needed BUT, while they sounded better than expected, they just don't get near the Penrose - especially for music, where I just didn't like them that much at all.

Now if we could just have a firmware upgrade for a few tweaks (consistent voice announcements etc) so they feel like a £300 headset (to go with the sound quality) then I still don't think any wireless headset comes close at the price.

Jun 11, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #6,764 of 7,191
In case you guys are worried about clamp, I literally have my Penrose 'worn' on top of one of my speaker monitors, and they're SUPER loose. So yes, if you keep them stretched over some books, or a pillow or something for prolonged periods, the clamp WILL give out. Obviously, I would be careful on not stretching it well beyond your headsize.

This is not officially endorsed. Just saying, that like most headphones, prolonged stretching will change clamp factors.

16548823465501431552033644010748.jpg
I was just coming back to post about my experience. I have my Penrose sitting on the box in an overly stretched position. I left them there since yesterday and when I took them off and put them on they were now flushed but loose and would scoot around my head. I'm okay with that

Well, I put them on my headphone holder and left them there for an hour or two since I didn't feel like using them yet. Finally I put them on and they were already back to being a vice grip! I've never seen that before and I've stretched several headphones

They're now back to stretching. I'm hoping over time the stretching will retain a looser fit. I'm giving it two weeks before my Steel Series return window is up. If they don't sit better by then they're being returned. It's a shame cuz the headphones themselves are great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back