Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 21, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #6,511 of 7,191
So, i keep using my Penrose because i really want to like it but since last night, i now hear some "pop" in my left ear, plus the hissing.
Not so much and it's subtle, like a champagne's bubble exploding but it's here, on a $300 headphone...

Is it normal? Is there a fix?

Dec 22, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #6,515 of 7,191
Will there be a changelog posted here? I wonder what was made with the update... After so much time of radio silence from Audeze's side.

From Audeze.com:

2021.12.13 - v0.1.12:

• Added a Bluetooth only mode for when a simultaneous Bluetooth/2.4 connection is not wanted.
  • Removed subsequent voice cues after losing connection to wireless dongle.
  • Various bug fixes

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #6,517 of 7,191
Just updated my set of Penrose X - was lucky with this set as they never had any issues really as far as I can tell. Now I've updated I've got a background hiss/whistling and popping on Bluetooth that I've never had before - to say I'm unimpressed is an understatement.

This was my third set I've tried since launch and probably the best of the three - hope its just a one off with the noise - maybe something causing interference nearby? Will try again shortly.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #6,518 of 7,191
Just updated my set of Penrose X - was lucky with this set as they never had any issues really as far as I can tell. Now I've updated I've got a background hiss/whistling and popping on Bluetooth that I've never had before - to say I'm unimpressed is an understatement.

This was my third set I've tried since launch and probably the best of the three - hope its just a one off with the noise - maybe something causing interference nearby? Will try again shortly.

i am happy with my ps penronse. and i am NOT updating

Dec 22, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #6,519 of 7,191

Thanks for the heads up! This is really is a shitshow of a headset, is there a way to roll back the firmware?

Dec 22, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #6,521 of 7,191

no hiss for me - checked using BT only mode

I did whip through and reapply my presets before listening so wondering if worth you trying that (incase reapplying presets something I didn't know was broken)

Dec 22, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #6,522 of 7,191

I went to test again and this time the whole headset just locked up in Bluetooth mode - couldn't change mode, no sound output etc :frowning2:

A hard reset later and working again - haven't heard the whistling/popping from earlier again so far so fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #6,523 of 7,191
Just updated the firmware and have no issues. Love the headphones and haven't had most issues others have had. Came here to read every post and was worried but if you get a good unit you will love these. Wanted wireless for pc, xbox series x and ps5 and this one fit the bill and haven't been disappointed. Just wanted to thank the @Audeze and @Mad Lust Envy for being here to help if I ever need and everyone else with helpful suggestions like the Classical preset that sounds best for me.

Dec 22, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #6,524 of 7,191
@EarlZ088

Rollback of fw on the quote below

To start, you'll have to download and install the latest version of the Audeze HQ app here, and get the old version firmware here.

Before you begin updating, make sure you back up any EQ profiles you've created as they will be lost when the firmware is rolled back.
Once installed, plug in your Penrose via USB and unplug the dongle. Open the software and navigate to the "settings" tab of the Penrose profile.
From there, click the "version number" 5 times to open a secret dialogue box.

KGN4LKI15TjVCRMqMpV3AdL1n

Load in the .xml file linked above and click the "update firmware" button to begin the update process.

dRL4he1iti5dCmumeBrsxKXGj

NOTE: you may need to restart both your headphones and the HQ software/computer for your headphones to be recognized by HQ.

You can then upgrade once more to the newest version by either going through the HQ app for Android or restarting the HQ software for PC or Mac. This can help clear up any installation issues that may have occurred during the initial firmware installation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back