Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 23, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #6,526 of 7,191
As part of the "vocal minority" I've quietly waited the last 6 months with the hope that a firmware update would fix this annoying game volume / chat volume wheel functionality. I almost returned them off the break because of it, but ended up keeping them because they do sound great and I figured at $300 or so they would probably get an update to make the wheel usable. I've stopped recommending them to friends looking for an Xbox headset.

I can accept that I might be in the minority on this so I do understand if it HAS to be one way or the other then obviously the biggest group is gonna be made happy on this front. I definitely wouldn't recommend these to anyone on Xbox that are looking for something new and know they like to adjust the volume balance frequently.

Dec 23, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #6,528 of 7,191
Hi! I'm thinking about buying Audeze Penrose, but one little thing bothers me. All the reviews I saw mentioned that superb quality is only possible via dongle and both Bluetooth and AUX connection types suffer from lower quality. So the question is it possible to connect my phone(Samsung S21 ultra) to dongle via USB-A to USB-C adapter? And will this combo work?

Dec 23, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #6,529 of 7,191
Hi! I'm thinking about buying Audeze Penrose, but one little thing bothers me. All the reviews I saw mentioned that superb quality is only possible via dongle and both Bluetooth and AUX connection types suffer from lower quality. So the question is it possible to connect my phone(Samsung S21 ultra) to dongle via USB-A to USB-C adapter? And will this combo work?
Ate you using aac or SBC codec?

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #6,530 of 7,191
It's still pretty decent compared to just about every other gaming headset.

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #6,531 of 7,191
Ultimately, regardless of which direction we go, some people aren't going to be happy.

Unfortunately, we can't account for every person's needs and wants, and I feel (as someone not in control of what happens in fw for now), that the broad majority of users will prefer mic gain, as game/chat is ONLY usable on one system out of many the Penrose can work for.

I'd think it's basically that simple. As it stands, with what we're currently capable of, majority rules. 100% of users can utilize mic gain. Only a fraction of that can use game/chat. So we're gonna prioritize the 100%

I think the argument has been exhausted, so while I understand the issues, logically speaking, with what we can do at this time, mic gain will remain prioritized. If we change it, it would be the other way around, with the overwhelming majority being upset that an option that only one system can use, being prioritized.
One big positive about these headphones, is that we're able to have these discussions. Most manufactures pay no attention to their customer base and refuse to engage with them. Not the case here.

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #6,533 of 7,191
It's still pretty decent compared to just about every other gaming headset.
I'm not saying that it's bad, I know that it's going to be pretty good, especially comparing with my crappy headphones. I was just interested in that particular combo and if it will work. I have an idiosyncratic habit, that would benefit if this thing with dongle will work

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #6,537 of 7,191
Hello.
I am also using a Samsung S21 ultra.
It works by using the AudioQuest DragonTail-C Extender(USB C to A) to connect to the Penrose dongle.
( I don't know about the microphone function, because I disconnect the microphone when I connect it to my smartphone. )
By the way, in my case, there is no problem at all when I connect Samsung S21 ultra and Penrose via Bluetooth.

I forgot to tell you something important.
The dongle is not recommended for outdoor use.
The dongle seems to be vulnerable to radio interference.
When I went to a crowded place, the dongle was useless due to noise.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #6,539 of 7,191
Hello.
I am also using a Samsung S21 ultra.
It works by using the AudioQuest DragonTail-C Extender(USB C to A) to connect to the Penrose dongle.
( I don't know about the microphone function, because I disconnect the microphone when I connect it to my smartphone. )
By the way, in my case, there is no problem at all when I connect Samsung S21 ultra and Penrose via Bluetooth.

I forgot to tell you something important.
The dongle is not recommended for outdoor use.
The dongle seems to be vulnerable to radio interference.
When I went to a crowded place, the dongle was useless due to noise.
Thank you, my friend!

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #6,540 of 7,191
greetings. Any way to roll back to first retail firmware?
to compare sound before adjusting signal to noise ratio.

Thx
If it's not on the website, I'm gonna say no. Probably for stability reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back