Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Oct 25, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #6,301 of 7,191
It's been something like 200 pages since my last visit here but I see now for sure that Audeze completly abandoned penrose...shame.

Anyway, I never had to use this s**t in Wireless( Computer ) + BT (Mobile phone) but now in home-office it's been quite usefull. But i cannot.
As far as it connect to both, when I change from Wireless to BT the sound doesnt come out. If i disconnect Wireless than it come back. Fun fact is that if I try to switch from BT to Aux just right after click in the button I can hear something from penrose that was playing on my mobile for a second. Anyone had something like this?
(When both are connected wireless never have any problem. When only BT no problem at all either);

Thank you.

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #6,302 of 7,191
You mention range extender... just checking you used the back USB port? Finally also checking that you don't live in a block of flats or somewhere there might be congested wifi that is outside of your control.

If all above okay then I'd be asking for new headset as in my opinion and ruling out connectivity issue and conflicts with other wifi devices it should not be like this.
It shouldn't be like this even if he is in a block of flats. It also shouldn't matter which USB port he is using. Audeze needs to work hard to resolve the connection issues people are having. I have been lucky that mine has been relatively good (except recently starting to have crack and pop sounds on occasion), but it clearly shows that Audeze has a major issue that is not up to the consumer to move house or find work-arounds.

Oct 26, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #6,303 of 7,191
Guys I'm having an issue connecting my Penrose X to the Audeze HQ app to get the firmware updated again.

I previously connected it straight to the Xbox and managed to update the firmware via the bluetooth using Android app. However I now have a laptop to try a hard wired update. The headset is flashing red so acknowledges its connected, however nothing in Windows or the HQ app.

Problem I cannot get the HQ app to acknowledge the headset is even connected! Tried different USB ports, another cable and get nothing. Worth mentioning I am on W11.

Is there a way around this? Very frustrating.

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #6,305 of 7,191
Guys I'm having an issue connecting my Penrose X to the Audeze HQ app to get the firmware updated again.

I previously connected it straight to the Xbox and managed to update the firmware via the bluetooth using Android app. However I now have a laptop to try a hard wired update. The headset is flashing red so acknowledges its connected, however nothing in Windows or the HQ app.

Problem I cannot get the HQ app to acknowledge the headset is even connected! Tried different USB ports, another cable and get nothing. Worth mentioning I am on W11.

Is there a way around this? Very frustrating.
I would try right clicking the audeze hq exe and seeing if you can run it in compatibility mode to an older version of windows.

Your comment had me thinking there was a firmware update out.

Oct 27, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #6,307 of 7,191
They weren't. Audeze sent me a new transmitter. Kudos them sending it from way out west to Germany. Their support team was always quick and responsive.

However it really didn't fix the issues unfortunately. I doubt it will be better unless they bring out a new revision or start from scratch.

A shame. They could dominate good parts of the market if these issues were absent. Could also fix the headband and improve comfort. There is no competing product with these features as far as I know.

Well, got myself a 3m XLR Extender now. No wireless experience, yes, but can use my regular headphones now.

PS5 -> Blasterx G6 -> optical -> DAC/AMP of my choice

Would still love to come back for wireless to play with friends, move around (kitchen) but alas, don't see it happening.

Oct 27, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #6,309 of 7,191
It's been something like 200 pages since my last visit here but I see now for sure that Audeze completly abandoned penrose...shame.

Anyway, I never had to use this s**t in Wireless( Computer ) + BT (Mobile phone) but now in home-office it's been quite usefull. But i cannot.
As far as it connect to both, when I change from Wireless to BT the sound doesnt come out. If i disconnect Wireless than it come back. Fun fact is that if I try to switch from BT to Aux just right after click in the button I can hear something from penrose that was playing on my mobile for a second. Anyone had something like this?
(When both are connected wireless never have any problem. When only BT no problem at all either);

Thank you.
Could it be the bluetooth mix setting set to one extreme instead of 50/50? I think you can change this in the HQ app and through pressing down the volume dial while rotating it. Just from memory, I could be wrong.

Oct 31, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #6,310 of 7,191
Greetings!
My little review on experience with headset.
Worth not to mention that sound is great for sure but:
1) Had issue with charging. During 3-4 hours it showed 100% in HQ app but red led was still blinking.
2) almost not noticeable whoosh in left speaker.
Both issues not really much bothering me in front of great sound and rather wide for closed-back soundstage.

Should i need to worry? Or just continue using headset? Especially about changing. It can't overcharge for example? I've also opened support ticket.

Also I've noticed that Atmos app EQ is working more properly with headset then Android HQ app one.

Battery time is lasting more if headset is in wireless mode only without BT phone connected.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #6,311 of 7,191
It shouldn't be like this even if he is in a block of flats. It also shouldn't matter which USB port he is using. Audeze needs to work hard to resolve the connection issues people are having. I have been lucky that mine has been relatively good (except recently starting to have crack and pop sounds on occasion), but it clearly shows that Audeze has a major issue that is not up to the consumer to move house or find work-arounds.
It shouldn't... But Audeze have said these don't channel hop, so unfortunately if they're using WiFi it does depend on what other WiFi devices are on, how many and on which channel.
So the question on whether connection is via Bluetooth or wireless is relevant.

Also I understand that it's becoming more well known that hi speed USB C creates WiFi and Bluetooth interference, so to know which USB port is being used, and if any nearby devices is also relevant.

Regards

Nov 2, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #6,314 of 7,191
I don't know if this is relavent I have only had these a day and I had a few drop outs and pops then I left my mobile phone domn stairs and everything worked great unit I had it in the same room again.
0.1.10 is latest, expecting new one soon

i bought them a week ago with 0.1.5 onboard.
Penrose is working on 2.4 ggz frequency so if you're using WiFi 2 at home try to move to5 or change channel.

With WiFi 5 at home i have no popping issues etc using BT or wireless. Dongle is connected to xbox through 10cm usb extender.

Nov 2, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #6,315 of 7,191
Thanks
I tried to update mine and it showed a black box as it downloaded and then said update finished I left it a while and nothing else happened it did not show the second box like in the instructions.
It now shows 0.1.10 but I am not sure if it's updated or shipped with it.
The software no longer shows an update but I am worried that I might have messed something up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back