Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Oct 9, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #6,271 of 7,191
Hello everyone! I bought myself a Penrose, I also have a Mobius. I have had Mobius in operation for more than a year, handled them very carefully and now they are in excellent condition. First of all, when I took Penrose out of the box, I compared the mounts, in Penrose they have stiffening ribs, which should have a positive effect on durability. The sound of both is very similar, maybe in some places the Mobius sound better. The microphone from Penrose on Mobius gives simply excellent quality, but average quality on Penros. Also on the Penrose speakers there is an additional mesh on the speakers.
I apologize for my English, I used google translate.

Audeze do warn in their FAQ that when using headset bluetooth/wireless that they've prioritised the headphone/headset audio bitrate over the microphone bitrate. They advise to use Aux for better MIC quality and that is probably what you experience when you plug into your Mobius.

Also worth noting that if you're connected over only BT and using the headset audio option to give access to the microphone then the sample rate of the audio to the earpeaces is also heavily constrained. Headphone is better than headset mode, but doesn't give you the microphone.

Thanks
Chris

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #6,275 of 7,191
Hi,

I recently bought a penrose wireless headset.
I was aware of the windows system volume not working with the headset but was not expecting to also see the mute function on my keyboard not doing anything.

Is there any way to get the mute function to work?
I also say some posts suggesting that windows volume support would be added later, is this still the plan and is there any rough date known for this support to be added?

When i turn the headset off the entire audio device disappears from windows and it switches back to speakers. This is extremely annoying as whenever the headset auto turns off and a sound plays, it sends it through the speakers.
Is there any way to keep the sound device available after the headset is turned off?

Oct 14, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #6,276 of 7,191
Hi,

I recently bought a penrose wireless headset.
I was aware of the windows system volume not working with the headset but was not expecting to also see the mute function on my keyboard not doing anything.

Is there any way to get the mute function to work?
I also say some posts suggesting that windows volume support would be added later, is this still the plan and is there any rough date known for this support to be added?

When i turn the headset off the entire audio device disappears from windows and it switches back to speakers. This is extremely annoying as whenever the headset auto turns off and a sound plays, it sends it through the speakers.
Is there any way to keep the sound device available after the headset is turned off?
Fairly regular updates were expected for this headset. That hasn't happened. Don't expect any miracles. I appreciate I sound negative, but this headset has been out for a while now and the updates have been slim.

Oct 14, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #6,277 of 7,191
Fairly regular updates were expected for this headset. That hasn't happened. Don't expect any miracles. I appreciate I sound negative, but this headset has been out for a while now and the updates have been slim.
Yep. I completely agree. It has been a disappointment. Basically, the product we have now is it. If they do bring out any firmware updates, it is clear that we shouldn't expect it to be anymore of a 'finished' product than it already is. Sure they might introduce some small features or changes, but I would guess that many of our complaints will still exist.
I've started getting crackling and popping occasionally which I never got before. My wireless range is good though.
I get sick of microphone volume changing (possibly accidentally on my behalf - not sure - but it's too easy to bump that mic control wheel).
They are definitely sweaty on my ears after a couple of hours of use.
They feel fragile when putting on and I fear that they will break (as some on here have already had happen).

I just wish there was a good wireless alternative.

Oct 15, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #6,282 of 7,191
I use the penrose with my PS5 only. Sometimes I listen to them with spotify via my LG V30 with BT. They get plenty loud with music but the max volume on PS5 is lacking. That is one feature I would want them to add in firmware update. Also I am on my third penrose and the range is poor. I have to sit a 3-4 feet away from dongle or I will get pops and crackles. I have tried USB extender and different USB port on PS5. I have learned to live with it but hope that this can be improved with a firmware update one day.

Oct 16, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #6,283 of 7,191
They will never fix it. It's a shame and kinda dissapointing.

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #6,285 of 7,191
We are expecting a new firmware sooner than later, we just don't have an ETA. Believe me, it comes up often. Audeze has not abandoned the Penrose. I just don't personally have the answers, but when it's ready you'll likely know.

Also, I'm not privy to what the firmware update includes, so we'll likely know at the same time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back